PDA

View Full Version : Hiking & Fishing for Brooke & Cutthroat Trout @ Red Lake California - The EastBayAngl

fishmaster20200
10-15-2017, 05:21 AM
I fished Red Lake Ca, I Hiked all around the lake. I tried many different Bait's/Lure's, it was a Tough bite. I Stayed the Course to Catch a nice Cutthroat Trout. I safely Caught & Released this fish, in hopes it will grow bigger. Windy & Cold, dress warm, in layer's.
Year's ago there were lot's of fish, hope that it will one day Fully Recover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkQjF7C7n2c

MKE
10-15-2017, 06:45 AM
There are a ton of fish in there! It just doesn't fish from shore that well since they killed most of the Brookies. It'll fish better from shore in a few weeks when it cools off.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

panther
10-15-2017, 03:33 PM
Why did they kill the brookies? Were cutthroat native to this lake? Do you know what DFW's plan is for Red?
Thanks, Panther

MKE
10-15-2017, 04:30 PM
When they drained the lake to repair a valve or something they never put the Brookies back. Just a bunch off Cutts. It used to be a great place to catch Brook Trout As well as some nice Cutts. At least that my understanding I could be wrong.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

fishwrong2
10-15-2017, 04:35 PM
Nice video. Small world, stopped there for a bit yesterday. Had to get the kids out of the house. Planned to fish the West Carson, but wind and cold made that a short venture. Went up to Blue Lakes and then looped back over the Forestdale Divide. Stopped at Red Lake and saw a few guys fishing the dam. Guess I should have bundled the kids up.

Yes, they killed off Red Lake maybe 6-8 years ago. Partially to remove bookies and browns, and partially due to chubbs and shiners. Quite a fuss was raised at the time. Since then only cuttys have gone back in. Caught a hand full of 10 inchers two years ago. Think I heard they had some nicer ones caught after ice-out this spring.

Captain Compassion
10-15-2017, 05:51 PM
Red was once Brookie Central but they are now gone. Only small planter LCT and a few larger Heenan spawners that avoid getting caught in the spring and don't float down the creek. Red lake Creek still has a population of small brookies. Because of new CDFW rules Red will never be restocked. A put and take LCT fishery will never work.

CC

whalonem
10-17-2017, 11:10 AM
You might want to do a facts check on your claim that DFW KILLED off Red lake 6 to 8 years ago. Like I stated several time here I have lived at Silver Lake for some 27 years now and fished Red extensively and have never heard of DFW killing off this lake. Years ago when it was privately owned by a cattle co. the lake was drained but never since poisoned DFW. In fact no less than 6 years ago Alpine Co/DFW was stocking the lake with tagged Brooks, then a Women's fishing club, i.e.. Lady Bugs, pushed DFW to stop planting brooks and make the lake a trophy Cuts lake. Well they stopped planting both Browns and Brooks and started with the Cuts. Guess what, that fizzled also and now "some" cuts exist however the fishing has dropped way off. Another effort by our lustrous DFW failed. Being a roadside impoundment the only way to make the lake fishable again is to plant the hell out of it. Its a "put and take" situation as is all of the lakes along the Hwy#88 corridor. Wake up DFW!!!!!! Whalonem

fishmaster20200
10-18-2017, 11:23 AM
You might want to do a facts check on your claim that DFW KILLED off Red lake 6 to 8 years ago. Like I stated several time here I have lived at Silver Lake for some 27 years now and fished Red extensively and have never heard of DFW killing off this lake. Years ago when it was privately owned by a cattle co. the lake was drained but never since poisoned DFW. In fact no less than 6 years ago Alpine Co/DFW was stocking the lake with tagged Brooks, then a Women's fishing club, i.e.. Lady Bugs, pushed DFW to stop planting brooks and make the lake a trophy Cuts lake. Well they stopped planting both Browns and Brooks and started with the Cuts. Guess what, that fizzled also and now "some" cuts exist however the fishing has dropped way off. Another effort by our lustrous DFW failed. Being a roadside impoundment the only way to make the lake fishable again is to plant the hell out of it. Its a "put and take" situation as is all of the lakes along the Hwy#88 corridor. Wake up DFW!!!!!! Whalonem

I know i used to do very well for good sized brooke trout, had some good memories there for sure. Bank fishing was really good here long ago, not so much now. Still a very nice lake to get away, just not the lake i remember. Whalonem i will not ask details but have you heard of anyonoe catching a Trophy sized cutt in red lake? I got a 3 1/2 pound 24'in Cutthroat 2009 that was the last one i caught over 20'.

fishwrong2
10-18-2017, 04:28 PM

Perhaps it was longer than that ago, but I distinctly remember an article by Mark Wiza talking about the removal of rough fish (chubs, suckers, etc.) and that browns and brookies were not part of the plan to move forward. There was quite a frustration about it, but ultimately some understanding at least. Memory isn't what it used to be, but I'll reference it when I find it. I also recall discussion about the lake having been overpopulated with rough fish previously, and I have seen dead shiners (4"-6") in the lake causing concern the problem is continually reoccurring. I will check my facts and get back to you so as to maintain the credibility of resident expert, opinionated, blowhard population.

whalonem
10-18-2017, 09:29 PM
I know i used to do very well for good sized brooke trout, had some good memories there for sure. Bank fishing was really good here long ago, not so much now. Still a very nice lake to get away, just not the lake i remember. Whalonem i will not ask details but have you heard of anyonoe catching a Trophy sized cutt in red lake? I got a 3 1/2 pound 24'in Cutthroat 2009 that was the last one i caught over 20'.

Just this last summer, 2017, I caught several while trolling that were respectable 18" fish that looked like hatchery brood stock, they were very dark and extremely spent. To be honest I never hooked a cut in the lake that I would consider a trophy. Was your 24 incher nice fat and healthy or did it look like a worn-out hatchery brooder. The best thing going were the brooks of several years back. To be a trophy Cuts lake it would have to be one of those Nevada lakes that are difficult to get to and not heavily fished. You see them posted here from the young guys willing to bust their ball and never reveal there were abouts. Red will never be that trophy impoundment simply because its next to the highway and very accessible to the public. If 200 pounds get planted 195 pounds get caught, with no numbers ever having the chance of ever becoming a sustained trophy producer, pure and simple!!!!!! Whalonem