PDA

View Full Version : Catfish bite in the Sac area?

mike_miciak
07-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Hey Guys,

So I have been fishing the Port of Sacramento the last couple of days in the evening and early morning using beef liver and worms and have hooked into only one 2lbs and a few smaller cats. I was wondering if anyone has been fishing anywhere in the Sacramento area where the bite has been hot for catfish. Unfortunately, I don't have a boat so I am forced to fish from shore. I live in Folsom and am always looking for a fishing buddy, so send me a PM and maybe we can hook up and go together.
Thanks,

Mike

Bigg A
07-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Try chicken liver instead of beef. If fishing the port, try using live bait ;D

BIG_ONE
07-11-2008, 01:59 AM
beef, chicken, and pork liver all works the same, beef just tend to stay longer on the hook ;)

jtk25
07-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Hey Mike welcome to the boards. The port is good, but my weapon of choice is sardines and at night.

You can fish either William Land Park, Howe Park, Elk Grove Park, and Hagen Park for cats. These ponds are planted on a regular basis until fall.

Folsom Lake is right in your back yard. Target muddy water anytime for a decent chance to hook some.

Depending if you want to go for a drive, Camp Far West is always worth a shot, Collins as well has lots of cats. Knights Landing on the Sacramento river should be real good right now with the hot weather.

BIG_ONE
07-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Oh yeah william land park, its an guaranteed, put on a split shot about a foot away from the hook and a #1-4 size hook, or you can put on those styrofoam bobbers and with the leader at least a foot, sardines, mack, and livers works well ;)

MB_Kevin
07-11-2008, 10:08 PM
I got some beef liver on one of my last fishing trips because I heard of it here. It did stay on the hook well :) I didn't give it much of a chance because they were hitting the minnows great. I think I still have it in the freezer for my next trip.

Bigg A
07-11-2008, 10:33 PM
beef, chicken, and pork liver all works the same, beef just tend to stay longer on the hook *;)

I haven't heard of people having alot of luck using beef liver for catfish. I've seen people use it and not even get a bite. How bout you? Ever have any luck with it???

MB_Kevin
07-11-2008, 10:37 PM
I was thinking of throwing some garlic on it before the next trip.

BIG_ONE
07-12-2008, 01:22 AM
beef, chicken, and pork liver all works the same, beef just tend to stay longer on the hook ;)

I haven't heard of people having alot of luck using beef liver for catfish. I've seen people use it and not even get a bite. How bout you? Ever have any luck with it???

yes, i had many hookups with beef ;)

Fishordie
07-12-2008, 11:10 PM
Try lisbon.I fished it last night and caught 7 or 8. mix of yellow bullhead,white, and channels. Three of the channels were in the 4-8lb range. All the quality fish were caught on live jumbo minnows. The bite shut down at the end either because of the ripping incoming tide or ran out of live bait.

mike_miciak
07-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the input guys! I went back to the port of Sacramento, by the barge canal access bridge, yesterday and fished until dark. I caught 5 small catfish using chicken livers and worms on the outgoing tide. I will try William Land Park this week and see what happens.

None of this fish I caught weighed more than a pound, so I am still looking to hook up with a lunker.
I was hoping someone could tell me where lisbon is? I am not that familiar with the area and it looks like Fish-or-die had success with some larger cats.

Thanks,

Mike