PDA

View Full Version : Catfish help

joshc40
07-12-2008, 12:25 AM
I've been fishing Quarry lakes for a really long time and can never get the cats to bite when I want them too. I occasionally get them while fishing for trout, but when I fish for them purposely, I never get a hit. I just use the regular old set up, weight, swivel, leader. Then some chicken liver or a hotdog. I've never once gotten a hit. Can anyone explain why? Is there something that I'm doing wrong? I've tossed my bait at various depths but I still get the same result, nothing. Maybe it's just Quarry lakes , but I've tried at Chabot as well as a variety of other lakes as well. I've tried different spots as well. Can someone help me out? Thanks and God bless.

Josh

SickWitIt87
07-12-2008, 08:26 AM
I usually fish at a lake with catfish in it. I just use the tight line method and large nightcrawlers for bait. i get lots of bites. i use chicken liver sometimes but i can never hook them with that. then again, im not a fisherman lol

joshc40
07-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Welcome to the boards sickwitit, thanks for the info, I've caught a couple cats while fishing for trout with a nightcrawler.

MB_Kevin
07-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Quarry lakes has catfish in it. I don't know if you are using a sliding sinker or not but might try that if you are not. Then just try different baits and spend time and you should hook up. If you have gotten them on night crawler before try that for a while. Then maybe try some other baits and you should get one.

Semperfifishing
07-12-2008, 10:32 PM
I have had good luck for cats by using a sliding sinker and chicken livers with a dose of Pro Q. garlic added..and I always fish at night using sunken green lights.

Of course location..so important..no more thatn 20' deep and usally in coves .