PDA

View Full Version : Any catfish in Camp Far West Lake??

sacfishinfool
06-18-2008, 09:22 AM
I was thinking about trying out Camp Far West for cats, are there any out there? If so whats a good bait for them?

johnbfishin
06-18-2008, 10:14 AM
I've never fished there myself but by doing a search on the internet I found that there are catsfish.
You might try a search here as well, I found an article written by Cal but it was mostly about Bass fishing.

PickLeNose
06-18-2008, 06:12 PM
I used to fish this lake back in the late 70's andf early 80's. There are really nice cats in it, also below the dam there is an afterbay that has huge channel cats in it. If you go to camp far west, bring sunscreen, not alot of good shade trees there. Stripers sre in that lake to, if you have a boat throw minnow baits where you see the sea gulls on the water.
Lots of water skiers now.

sacfishinfool
06-18-2008, 08:29 PM
Thanks for your input! I heard from someone a long time ago that there were big cats in there, but never tried for them.

Whats the deal with the seagulls over the water? I've never heard that before.

fishn4me
06-18-2008, 10:05 PM
I have caught plenty of cats there. Use cut baits or liver and you should do great. I have caught them all over the lake with the biggest ones coming out of coves like 1/4 mile cove. In the way of presentation on the bottom, suspended, or even under a bobby works well. Good luck and tight lines, FYI nights are the best time I was thinking of going there Friday night but the wife has other plans :-/

PickLeNose
06-19-2008, 05:05 AM
Thanks for your input! I heard from someone a long time ago that there were big cats in there, but never tried for them.

Whats the deal with the seagulls over the water? *I've never heard that before.

The striped bass schools herd the bait fish up to the surface and eat them, the seaguls are also eating the bait fish. The gulls become your fish finder. Tight lines.
Bob

Cal.Kellogg
06-19-2008, 06:44 AM
Cal Kellogg here.....

It is a very good bass lake and the catfish action can be outstanding with standard cut baits either soaked off the bank or a boat.....However you should know that it is one of the worst lakes in the state in terms of mercury contamination...you can check that out on the web....anyhow the term 'Camp Far West' comes from the fact that the spot on the Bear River were the lake now exists was the last camp the pioneers and gold miners stopped before they hit the valley. Apparently a lot of gold mining activity took place there and hence the mercury.....If you want to catch cats for fun it is a great spot....if you want to eat them, consider fishing at Folsom...it is pretty darn good too....If you want information about Folsoms cats give me a call at the office 800 748 6599 Folsom is my home lake......Cal

sacfishinfool
06-19-2008, 10:47 AM
consider fishing at Folsom...it is pretty darn good too...

I live within 8 *miles of Folsom Lake, so if there's good catfishin' there, I am gonna try it out. The only thing I have caught out of that lake is a carp...I was fishing off of the shore. I am planning on going out there Saturday and checking it all out to see if I can find the perfect spot. I don't have a boat, so I am limited to where I can go.

Thanks for your input, I might just give you a call if I get a chance.

stayrighthere
06-23-2008, 11:48 AM
cfw, i dont eat cats, taste like mud! but fun to catch! i'm gunna give it a go there too, i once caught a 30in cat tossing a spoon for bass off the dam, still my biggest to date, and it was on accident. folsom i used to fish at this one spot now you cant anymore, to many kids went there and partied. where can u get night access to cat fish folsom?

tinytrout
07-06-2008, 04:10 PM
I fished Camp Far West several times and caught some nice catfish in the 8-10 range but when I realized that when they drain the lake to supply the farmers with water the cattle poop and pee all over the shoreline and the when the lake fills up in the spring it all that cow waste is under water and that did not sit well with me. Try lake Alamonor by Pardee. I have some really great Catfishing trips there. Chicken livers work well. If you use a roe knot to put the livers on they will not come off when casting.

jtk25
07-09-2008, 11:14 AM
I have to say this is the first I have heard of Camp Far West being on the do not eat list, but Folsom is. I used to fish the summers at Folsom catching 5 to 15 lb cats and having great fish fry's in the evening, but they first came out to say that the fish was unhealthy to eat for children or pregnant or breast feeding mothers. They have since changed that again to an unhealthy to eat status for all. Hence I do not fish for cats at Folsom anymore. As a precaution I don't let my 2 year old eat any cats I catch anywhere do to mercury contamination, but an adult male, eating it once or twice a month I feel pretty safe. I'll try to find some data on CFW as well as Folsom so everyone can see the dangers.

jtk25
07-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Her's the link to the advisery for CFW:

http://www.oehha.ca.gov/fish/so_cal/nosierra.html

sacfishinfool
07-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the info! I never eat the cats I catch from anywhere, I just throw them back...but it is good for people to know what they are dealing with if they do want to eat them.

jtk25
07-09-2008, 11:49 AM
I cannot find an advisory for Folsom Lake but I do know that we quit fishing it because of an independent article I had read some time back. I'm posting all the advisories for CA so everyone can see what DFG has deemed unhealthy. Note: Lake Natoma is in the report and is a direct watershed from Folsom, I assume the contamination is the same, but with Natoma being much smaller the rate is higher than Folsom.

http://oehha.ca.gov/fish/pdf/fishmap2007.pdf

I'm not posting this to prove anyone wrong, I would just hate to have people uneducated about the dangers of mercury. I would hate for someone to not take precautions and have some mercury related health problems down the road, or have a child with birth defects caused by mercury.

MB_Kevin
07-09-2008, 03:32 PM
I cannot find an advisory for Folsom Lake but I do know that we quit fishing it because of an independent article I had read some time back. I'm posting all the advisories for CA so everyone can see what DFG has deemed unhealthy. Note: Lake Natoma is in the report and is a direct watershed from Folsom, I assume the contamination is the same, but with Natoma being much smaller the rate is higher than Folsom.

http://oehha.ca.gov/fish/pdf/fishmap2007.pdf

I'm not posting this to prove anyone wrong, I would just hate to have people uneducated about the dangers of mercury. I would hate for someone to not take precautions and have some mercury related health problems down the road, or have a child with birth defects caused by mercury.

I posted this link up on the sticky Helpful and informational posts from our members! Looks like a good one.
MB

jtk25
07-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Just a funny note about the mercury contamination, when my wife came home she asked me what I found about the subject. When I explained what I found she asked "Where can you eat as much catfish as you want and not be worried about growing a third leg? I stopped for a minute and said "no where". The fact that every watershed in the Sacramento Valley has been exposed to some sort of mercury. Even the Sac River now has signs warning about the consumption of fish. I have even heard of some environmentalists saying salmon from Bodega has something wrong with them. She then replied "We'll that takes the fun out of it. It's no fun going to the grocery store to buy farm raised fish if they are the only ones safe to eat!!"

Just thought some of you might find that funny considering some of you might have to stop at the grocery store to buy fish when the big skunk shows it ugly face and you don't want to piss off the wife.