PDA

View Full Version : Catfish help. Any suggestions...?

sacfishinfool
07-05-2008, 09:42 PM
I have had some bad luck so far this year with catfish, and I think I must be doing something wrong. I know there are some nice cats out in Folsom lake, and I have tried worms and sardines with no luck at all. Does anybody have any suggestions on what I should try for bait the next time I go out there?

GSW_UNITED
07-05-2008, 09:53 PM
I have had some bad luck so far this year with catfish, and I think I must be doing something wrong. I know there are some nice cats out in Folsom lake, and I have tried worms and sardines with no luck at all. Does anybody have any suggestions on what I should try for bait the next time I go out there?

chicken liver is one of the top baits for kitty.

striperkid
07-06-2008, 04:26 AM
are you from shore or a boat at night im not sure if you can even be out there on a boat at night but anyways definetely switch up the baits...

use clams chicken livers and live minnows...

if you happen to be from a boat pick up some submersible lights it will attract the plankton then attracting the baitfish and then the cats all to your area..good luck

fish_feeder32
07-06-2008, 01:41 PM
one thing that I have done this year to improve my catch when fishing in the lakes is not using any weight I am using a little smaller hook than I was before and putting it directly on my main line with no leader or weight and I also started casting closer to shore no more than 25 feet out this has improved my catch at new hogan and new melones also at pardee. it seems that every time I use any weight even if it is only a half ounce weight they just hit it and drop it very lightly even the big cats.

UltraFace
07-06-2008, 02:00 PM
yes i have noticed using no weight is a good strategy. ive always loved shrimp and crayfish as catfish bait, more expensive than liver sure, but i notice the bigger ones like to eat shrimp and cutbait rather than stink bait.

sacfishinfool
07-07-2008, 10:18 AM
OK, next time I go out to Folsom, I am going to use chicken liver, crawdads...and maybe some shrimp not use any weight and try closer to the shore. This is going to be late afternoon to evening, I don't know if we can stay out there fishing at night or not. Thank you for the tips, guys!

How long should I wait to try out a different bait? Half hour? 45 minutes?

Phinger28
07-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Big fish, ANY big fish like something that is natural and usually alive. Try a large size craw in Folsom, and make sure its alive a kicking. Giant gobs of squirming crawlers seem to do the trick as well.

sacfishinfool
07-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Big fish, ANY big fish like something that is natural and usually alive. *Try a large size craw in Folsom, and make sure its alive a kicking. Giant gobs of squirming crawlers seem to do the trick as well.

OK, when using a crawdad use a shoft shelled craw, hook it through the tail, no weight, and about 25 feet out...?

UltraFace
07-07-2008, 12:34 PM
i personally use dead ones, i think itd be difficult hooking a live crawdad lol i get pinched just trying to catch them. i dont think channel cats care that its dead. and as long as your on shore i dont think youd be able to cast TOO far.

sacfishinfool
07-07-2008, 12:39 PM
as long as your on shore i dont think youd be able to cast TOO far.

Good point! ;)

dandeuce
07-07-2008, 01:08 PM
When using live crawdads I break off their pinchers , besides getting pinched while hooking them up , it keeps them from hiding under something and holding on . Cut bait for the biggies and clams for the eating sized cats .

MB_Kevin
07-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Live and dead minnows has been best for me lately at berryessa and black butte. Also not to far from shore.

BIG_ONE
07-09-2008, 07:49 AM
talk about craws, when ever you find the soft stage craw, break off both of their claws, seperate the head from the tail and use it one by one, believe it or not, they'll eat those claw believe it or not, so basically, 1 craw = 4 cats ;D ;)