PDA

View Full Version : Tell if there are cats in a pond...?

sacfishinfool
06-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Does anyone know a way to tell by looking at a pond if there are catfish in it or not?

BIG_ONE
06-29-2008, 09:24 PM
nice warm water ;D by july or mid july cat shall be stock in every single public pond in sacramento ;)

sacfishinfool
06-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Thanks!! That is good to know! ;)

striperkid
07-01-2008, 01:23 AM
im not being a smartbutt atleast not trying to be but bait a hook and cast it out....best way of finding out

sacfishinfool
07-01-2008, 07:35 AM
bait a hook and cast it out....best way of finding out

Yea, I know that would be one way to tell...but just because they don't bite, don't mean they're not in there. I was hoping there was a rocket scientist out there somewhere who could explain some characteristic of a pond that would indicate the presence of catfish. I was just wondering... 8-)

chrisd
07-01-2008, 10:30 AM
The best way to get any answer on fishing is to ask the sniffers of fish... I mean the "Fish Sniffer"!

addicted2Daiwa
07-01-2008, 07:48 PM
by now DFG are stocking a lot of the urban ponds and lakes with catfish since the first week of june. My little brothers went out to Mather 3 weeks ago when DFG planted and loaded some great size. All 3 to 4lbs nothing less. I'm not a fan of catfishing since I'm terrified of touching one or even "unhooking one" due to a bad childhood experience... but yup! every urban pond or lake should be getting stocked every week now ;)

steveo79
07-01-2008, 08:08 PM
I bet those cats will taste better then the trout that gets planted in them.

onelilcrazyazn
07-06-2008, 11:46 PM
i think all lakes has cats but then agian i can be wrong but they might jux not bite

MB_Kevin
07-07-2008, 08:41 PM
I have a new pond that Im not sure if there are cats in or not but there is so much vegetation in it I would not even know where to start for catfishing. I can only use a topwater for bass. There is a couple of small holes between the weed that I throw a worm into sometimes for panfish but I have only gotten bass there so far. I hope it clears at some point so I can try it for cats.

BIG_ONE
07-08-2008, 12:20 AM
I have a new pond that Im not sure if there are cats in or not but there is so much vegetation in it I would not even know where to start for catfishing. I can only use a topwater for bass. There is a couple of small holes between the weed that I throw a worm into sometimes for panfish but I have only gotten bass there so far. I hope it clears at some point so I can try it for cats.

pop a bobber or 2 ;)

sacfishinfool
07-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Well, I tried this pond out with chicken livers, but got nothing. I think I have the same issue as Master Baiter with so much vegitation on the bottom. I also tried a small bluegill and worms, but no takers. I don't know. It looks like there should be some cats in it, its nice and warm and been around for a while (the pond over by Sailor Bar in Sacramento) I think I am going to try some chicken livers under a bobber and see what happens...

gearbox
07-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Well, I tried this pond out with chicken livers, but got nothing. I think I have the same issue as Master Baiter with so much vegitation on the bottom. I also tried a small bluegill and worms, but no takers. I don't know. It looks like there should be some cats in it, its nice and warm and been around for a while (the pond over by Sailor Bar in Sacramento) I think I am going to try some chicken livers under a bobber and see what happens...
Don't forget to tell me if you find cats in there!

A guy pulled out a 7.5lb LMB from the east bank last week.

sacfishinfool
07-08-2008, 10:38 AM
[quote author=sacfishinfool link=1214790411/0#11 date=1215540359]
Don't forget to tell me if you find cats in there!

A guy pulled out a 7.5lb LMB from the east bank last week.

Hey Gearbox! I'm still not sure about the cats in there, thats what I'm trying to learn. I have searched high and low for any info on the net, I found a guy pullied a 12 # er out of there in 1985, but thats all I have heard. I saw some kid pull a turtle out of there the other night..on a worm.
I knew there were some big bass out there, but 7.5 pounds?! Wow! Do you know what he was using?
Anyway, as soon as I know for sure they are out there, I will let you know...do you have any ideas on how to find out?

gearbox
07-08-2008, 10:04 PM
I knew there were some big bass out there, but 7.5 pounds?! Wow! Do you know what he was using?
I saw him reel in a lazy fish from across the pond and thought it was a cat at first because it wasn't thrashing. His friend told my girlfriend who told me he was using a "sinker worm," so with this 4th degree account, I'd guess it was with a Senko. I've lost 3 white senkos to the submerged logs in that pond alone, and other worms, flukes, skirted jigs, creatures, and fish jigs have gotten me nothing. That's not saying much as I'm still working out my technique :/

Anyway, as soon as I know for sure they are out there, I will let you know...do you have any ideas on how to find out?

I've done a number of google searches and browsed fishsniffer and you know as much about the pond as I do. One of these nights I'll cut some fresh bluegill and see what it will get me.