PDA

View Full Version : Trout question?

mikeandkristy
10-28-2017, 05:10 PM
I recently had someone reply to my last Pardee post on fb saying that I should let these small 14" trout go to grow up to be salmon in seven years. I responded that trout don't grow up to be salmon. They just get bigger. He then gave me a wall of text about how they go out to sea and are then considered salmon. He said even land locked lake trout will turn into salmon.
He was a little rude so I didn't engage further with him but I would like to know your thoughts on this? The internet had points for both arguments.
Thanks in advance! Hitting Camanche tomorrow!
M&K

reeltru
10-28-2017, 05:16 PM
Who ever that was is a moron. Don't listen to people like that.

TOOLMAKER1
10-28-2017, 06:26 PM
A steelhead is a sea run rainbow trout. How one would make it to sea from Pardee, let alone make it back is beyond me !

CRABBY
10-28-2017, 06:31 PM
I recently had someone reply to my last Pardee post on fb saying that I should let these small 14" trout go to grow up to be salmon in seven years. I responded that trout don't grow up to be salmon. They just get bigger. He then gave me a wall of text about how they go out to sea and are then considered salmon. He said even land locked lake trout will turn into salmon.
He was a little rude so I didn't engage further with him but I would like to know your thoughts on this? The internet had points for both arguments.
M&KLOL,that guy must of skipped his meds for awhile.Don't believe it Kristy total BS...Don

LineStretcher
10-28-2017, 06:55 PM
M&KNow that's funny... LOL.. The average trout life span is 7 year.. Maybe they turn into salmon when they go to heaven. Not sure but if you search the internet I'm sure you'll find someone that has been there and seen this miracle.

BigUnInDaBoat
10-28-2017, 07:01 PM
lol that guy must be a blast at parties!

Captain Compassion
10-28-2017, 08:07 PM
Trout ain't salmon. 'Nuff said.

CC

IronClad
10-28-2017, 08:13 PM
Trout ain't salmon. 'Nuff said.

CC

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel they are both of the family of Salmonidae and both of the genus Oncorhynchus. But in a nutshell.. yes and no. As for what that dude was spewing, utter tripe.

FresnoJack
10-28-2017, 09:46 PM
When they go out to sea, do they lose their American citizenship?

And, how do they get back over Carson Pass?

M&K

Troutbead
10-28-2017, 10:35 PM
He's sort of right. Trout that make it to the ocean return 18 years later and return as mermaids. They can be found, or so i have been told, walking the streets of 'Frisco near the wharfs at night.

Peepoe
10-31-2017, 09:48 AM
He's sort of right. Trout that make it to the ocean return 18 years later and return as mermaids. They can be found, or so i have been told, walking the streets of 'Frisco near the wharfs at night.

Non-sensical rubbish. Mermaids are mermaids and they only date Narwals. Its the horn. Ask my 9-year old, she is a Narwal expert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykwqXuMPsoc

CRABBY
10-31-2017, 11:38 AM
When they go out to sea, do they lose their American citizenship?

And, how do they get back over Carson Pass?Yes,an they steal a car!!How else.....:signs703jx:

fishwrong2
10-31-2017, 11:44 AM
M&K

He even had specific details, he must be right. About as correct as a gal a few years ago at Taylor Creek in Tahoe explaining the kokanee are sockeye which migrate from the ocean, into Tahoe and then into Taylor Creek to spawn.

Sounded real enough to have people shaking their head. Most were shaking side to side, but those are just details. Probably best not to make eye contact or sudden movements around those folks.

Love the reports. Keep em coming.

fishrman4life1957
11-01-2017, 04:59 AM
And, how do they get back over Carson Pass?

They hitchhike !

piscolabis
11-01-2017, 10:24 PM
There are many salmon species and trout species. Different species do not mate and have viable offspring that will continue the lineage in future generations (e.g. horse and burro will mate and produce sterile mules - end of line). Brook Trout (actually a char) will not mate with another different species, for example a Rainbow Trout or Sockeye Salmon. A species born as that species cannot change species during its life. Therefore a Brown, Rainbow or Cutthroat trout cannot change itself to another species, for instance to a Sockeye Salmon (aka Kokanee, or landlocked Sockeye). Some trout are anadromous (sea run) along the coast, but Sierran trout are not sea run. As some replies state, many rivers and lakes are blocked from the ocean by dams, making it impossible for trout and Kokanee to get to the ocean.

Jetspray
11-02-2017, 08:11 AM
Diploids, Tripoloids, and Mongoloids. I like Mongoloids and I guess that I will have to contact Tim (aka Mongo) to get the specifics:7419ne::cool:.........Jetspray

Snowtrout
11-02-2017, 09:25 AM
If trout can grow fur, anything is possible:wine1:

http://www.furbearingtrout.com/

Jetspray
11-02-2017, 05:13 PM
If trout can grow fur, anything is possible:wine1:

http://www.furbearingtrout.com/That looks like a new species that will morf into a bear, not a salmon when it reaches the sea.......Jetspray

chachie
11-02-2017, 08:18 PM
That looks like a new species that will morf into a bear, not a salmon when it reaches the sea.......Jetspray

But then....cannibalism??

FresnoJack
11-02-2017, 10:23 PM
That looks like a new species that will morf into a bear, not a salmon when it reaches the sea.......Jetspray

I hope to have time to read the article when I return. I am attending the annual spaghetti harvest in Ragusa.

timmyt
11-03-2017, 06:36 AM
Did you ask him what he was smoking and where he got it from? I like to argue with ignorant people so I would hve shown him a fact or two but sometimes you just can't fix stupid

Peepoe
11-03-2017, 10:47 AM
M&K

Woodie
11-03-2017, 01:00 PM
A steelhead is a sea run rainbow trout. How one would make it to sea from Pardee, let alone make it back is beyond me !

Fish in Pardee go over the spillway or jump over the dam then swim down the Mok to Comanche go down the spillway or jump over the dam....swim down the Mok then the Sac to the ocean spend 5 years at sea then swim back up the Sac to the Mok the jump over the dam or swim up the spillway at Comanche then swim some more up the Mok to Pardee....swim up the spillway or jump over the dam....and now they. Are back as full grown fish.....we call them Kokanee

chachie
11-03-2017, 01:18 PM
Fish in Pardee go over the spillway or jump over the dam then swim down the Mok to Comanche go down the spillway or jump over the dam....swim down the Mok then the Sac to the ocean spend 5 years at sea then swim back up the Sac to the Mok the jump over the dam or swim up the spillway at Comanche then swim some more up the Mok to Pardee....swim up the spillway or jump over the dam....and now they. Are back as full grown fish.....we call them Kokanee

Talk about building those frequent flyer miles!!:hitoverhead:

nayr
11-03-2017, 02:46 PM
Lol this has been a great read

Jetspray
11-04-2017, 06:00 AM
Talk about building those frequent flyer miles!!:hitoverhead:Hawaii has flying fish, maybe it is a bigger strain of them.:nana::trout::biggrin:.........Jetspray

mikeandkristy
11-05-2017, 07:52 PM
This was our actual conversation after I told him that trout do not grow up to be salmon.
Him,
Once they go to the ocean and return to spawn they are salmon. Where the hell you think salmon come from.
If land locked lake then no..he won't become a salmon..but even if transplanted by government..the trout follows river to ocean..once he hits the ocean water he's considered a salmon..then 7 yrs old they return to place of birth to lay eggs..even if born and raised n a hatchery...they're releast down a chute..so come 7 yrs they will return back up same chute or stream of wzter to lay eggs again...hatchers remove eggs and sperm putting still good meat into ice till they're sold..stream spawning..the fish no longer eat and die within a couple weeks of spawning. Go visit any hatchery and they can explain...less that 10 0/0 actually return to spawn.

So why is he telling me to let lake Pardee trout go to turn into salmon in seven years? lol.

Waterdog
11-05-2017, 08:35 PM
The guy is a nut job. I would terminate any and all contact with him. I would block him from from Facebook, email and whatever.

Jetspray
11-06-2017, 03:55 AM
If he comes around again I would suggest he go to a local library and learn the dewey decimal system and do research, then keep his phone/computer at home when he does.......Jetspray

Spinner
11-06-2017, 08:30 AM
Waiting for the hatchery trucks to take them home???

Snowtrout
11-06-2017, 09:50 AM
There were "truths" into what the person said. It seems they just had the life cycle of a trout, steelhead and salmon all mixed up. Sounds like they need to visit a hatchery for clarity and to look at the cute little fishes.

Just don't know where the "7 years" comes from. If salmon stayed in the salt for 6 years and came into the rivers during that seventh, every fish would be over 40 with most in the 60-80lb range. You would have to use tuna gear to get them in, something that would be awesome to watch in Nimbus Basin :leb3nr:

BigUnInDaBoat
11-06-2017, 09:59 AM
This was our actual conversation after I told him that trout do not grow up to be salmon.
Him,
Once they go to the ocean and return to spawn they are salmon. Where the hell you think salmon come from.
If land locked lake then no..he won't become a salmon..but even if transplanted by government..the trout follows river to ocean..once he hits the ocean water he's considered a salmon..then 7 yrs old they return to place of birth to lay eggs..even if born and raised n a hatchery...they're releast down a chute..so come 7 yrs they will return back up same chute or stream of wzter to lay eggs again...hatchers remove eggs and sperm putting still good meat into ice till they're sold..stream spawning..the fish no longer eat and die within a couple weeks of spawning. Go visit any hatchery and they can explain...less that 10 0/0 actually return to spawn.

So why is he telling me to let lake Pardee trout go to turn into salmon in seven years? lol.

The problem I see, is that a lot of people in this state would sadly believe all that.

LineStretcher
11-06-2017, 10:23 AM
There were "truths" into what the person said. It seems they just had the life cycle of a trout, steelhead and salmon all mixed up. Sounds like they need to visit a hatchery for clarity and to look at the cute little fishes.

Just don't know where the "7 years" comes from. If salmon stayed in the salt for 6 years and came into the rivers during that seventh, every fish would be over 40 with most in the 60-80lb range. You would have to use tuna gear to get them in, something that would be awesome to watch in Nimbus Basin :leb3nr:

7 years is the accepted average life span for trout.

fishwrong2
11-06-2017, 10:38 AM
Him,

Unfortunately, this guy didn't have to pass a test or background check to buy a keyboard.....

Then again, maybe it's better stupid people do identify themselves.... The old Bill Engvall joke fits.... "Here's your sign".....

Troutbead
11-06-2017, 10:52 AM
Him,

I think he was pulling your leg. No other explanation for that response.....

Jetspray
11-06-2017, 10:55 AM
Waiting for the hatchery trucks to take them home???Make sure you keep the females and toss back the males, unless you have other proclivities:12275ox::bek1832qx::beauty1::party-smiley-048:..........Jetspray