PDA

View Full Version : Big Cats, Little Water

Phinger28
07-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Was out at Knights last week and seen a pair of guys were catching some quite large cats, i asked how big and they said about 10lbs, but those were little ones they said. Who knows how big they have been gettin' em

Bigg A
07-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Where at in knights landing?

Phinger28
07-01-2008, 10:47 AM
it was back in one of the sloughs that connect to the boat launch area there

Phinger28
07-01-2008, 10:52 AM
they also said you have to have to right bait or you will get nothing but small ones.

Bigg A
07-01-2008, 11:20 AM
I got a pretty good idea of what they're using. Same thing applies to where me and my partners fish. If you use the common baits such as sardines,liver,anchovies etc.... the smaller ones will eat you alive. But if you know the right baits to use in these areas, you will always constantly hook BIGG CATS!!!! ;D

Fishin_G
07-01-2008, 02:39 PM
what would that bait be? I only seem to get smallies, but I am using common baits.

BIG_ONE
07-01-2008, 11:28 PM
big ole crawdad...and if you can find them bluegills...perfect. ;D ;) squaw also works, 10" squaw the most i would say, i don't know if they'll hit any bigger than that ;)

sacfishinfool
07-02-2008, 08:29 AM
I keep hearing about using bluegills for bait with cats, and I'm not doubting it, but how do you use them? Do you hook them live like you would a minnow through the spine, or do you cut them up? I was always under the impression that catfish eat dead stuff on the bottom. :-/

Fishin_G
07-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Thanx Big1. Ive used squaws for striper before. Didnt know live bait would work for cats. Ill have to try it this weekend.

Fishordie
07-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Depending on the size of the bluegill and how stiff your rod is, you can hook them through the nose , under the dorsal fin or right above the vent(butthole). Cats are very predatory. I just had a channel cat outgrow my 125 gallon tank. The tank is full of aggressive south american cichlids and that cat outhunted and outate everything in there by 10-1. I'd put 50 feeder goldfish in and he would catch so many he couldn't swallow before the other fish realized what was going on. I also experimented a little with him and found he would only eat nasty stinky food if he was really hungry. Throw in a bunch of live food and a piece of stinkbait and he wouldn't even seem to notice the nasty stuff untill everybit of live or fresh food was gone first. If I have a choice I only use live or fresh dead bait for cats and will probably never willingly touch "stinkbait" again.

Jeff213
07-02-2008, 02:57 PM
If you can get into a lot of live threadfin shad about 3-4 inches long, those work great for big cats too. Just dipnet them out and use them live. Freshly dead will work too but not as well.

BIG_ONE
07-02-2008, 03:40 PM
I keep hearing about using bluegills for bait with cats, and I'm not doubting it, but how do you use them? Do you hook them live like you would a minnow through the spine, or do you cut them up? I was always under the impression that catfish eat dead stuff on the bottom. :-/

just hook it through on the bottom lip of the blue, thats it, and if there is no takers before you go home, release the blue to live another day ;)
Any size blue will work, giant, dinks...any.

MB_Kevin
07-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Just remember that Bluegills are illegal to use as bait in many waters. I believe they are OK to use in the delta and possibly a few other places. Check DFG Regs for the body of water you are fishing first.

MB

sacfishinfool
07-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Just remember that Bluegills are illegal to use as bait in many waters. *I believe they are OK to use in the delta and possibly a few other places. *Check DFG Regs for the body of water you are fishing first.
MB
Hey MB, where would I look to find out if it is legal to use them in the Sacramento River by Knights Landing?

MB_Kevin
07-02-2008, 09:19 PM
It might be OK to use them there if you caught them there. *The info is probably hidden in here somewhere. *Im sure someone will come in here with the info for you if it is legal there or not. *I looked for a min but couldn't find it.

DFG Regs (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/08-09-inland-fish-regs.pdf)

Mouse
07-04-2008, 09:59 PM
(d) In addition, except for trout and salmon,
fin fish lawfully taken in the following waters by
angling or with bait fish methods approved in
Section 4.05 may be used only in the waters
where taken:
(2) Sacramento River and tidewater of
tributaries downstream from the Highway
32 bridge near Hamilton City, Feather River
downstream from the Oroville Hatchery Fish
Barrier Dam, Yuba River downstream from
Daguerre Point Dam, and American River
downstream from Nimbus Dam.

Seems to me that if it was caught there, it can be used as bait.

sacfishinfool
07-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Yes it does...thank you!