PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Question

Maxumfishin
11-03-2017, 06:13 PM
Took a friend who had never really fished, or at least caught one, to Pyramid yesterday 11-2-17. First boat out of Pelican and I told him we'd hook up as soon as the sun crested. At exactly that moment he hooked and landed a beautiful fat 20"er. We headed north and I noticed the next three boats went south. As the sun came up I noticed all the vegetation and some grass in the water. There were times that I swore I was on land as thick as some of this stuff was.

So my question: Only my third time to Pyramid (8 days to be exact). I assume what I was seeing is the lake turning over and also why I was the only idiot that went north and everyone else went south where apparently there was less grass.

Was this what I was seeing?
How long until the lake usually clears?

We ended up with 6 fish with at least that many lost. My lowest total for this lake but maybe my biggest high as far as getting a friend on fish for the first time.

LineStretcher
11-03-2017, 06:35 PM
There was a ton of vegetation that came into the lake this past winter. If the lake is turning over that could be getting stirred up. Comorants and Griebs also dive down and rip weeds up this time of year. Large clumps of weeds are typically what the birds do.

Maxumfishin
11-03-2017, 06:49 PM
Thanks but this is literally tons of vegetation. Looked like lettuce that went through a belender. Some was almost transparent with visibility of about three feet and other places you couldn't see a foot. This was from Pelican to Monument and out to about 250 ft depth where it cleared.

LineStretcher
11-03-2017, 06:51 PM
Thanks but this is literally tons of vegetation. Looked like lettuce that went through a belender. Some was almost transparent with visibility of about three feet and other places you couldn't see a foot. This was from Pelican to Monument and out to about 250 ft depth where it cleared.I've seen it thick enough to stop a boat up at Eagle Lake.

Captain Compassion
11-03-2017, 09:30 PM
Turn over and an extra amount of weeds due to a big influx of fresh water. The storms are starting and will blow lots of weeds to the north. In another month weeds wont be a problem.

CC

Jetspray
11-04-2017, 05:56 AM
We call it salad, as was said the increase of water caused a lot of it to come up. Old shorelines covered with desert plants (now submerged) along with what came down the river (high flows due to winter snow amounts and hot days). Sometimes smaller, shallow bays are less of a problem. You might have seen some going south in the direction of the nets or points along the shore. The nets area can be productive, mind the buoy line at the nets to stay away from a ticket.........Jetspray

Maxumfishin
11-05-2017, 10:47 PM
Thanks to all three of you! Always a wealth of knowledge. On the other hand you guys are responsible for making me a Pyramid addict😆

Jetspray
11-06-2017, 03:51 AM
Thanks to all three of you! Always a wealth of knowledge. On the other hand you guys are responsible for making me a Pyramid addict😆The guy who brought me there for my first time, was Captain Compassion (Richard Darancette), sometime around 2007. My other favorite lake on the top of my list is Eagle Lake Ca (by Susanville). Good Luck out there.......Jetspray