PDA

View Full Version : Halloween at Pyramid

borntoscout
11-04-2017, 06:11 AM
My neighbor Walt and tried Pyramid from kayaks Tuesday and Wednesday. When we arrived Monday evening I was dismayed to see the lake shrouded under a layer of ghoulish olive colored muck. It was not just the shore line that was affected. The muck extended to areas over 100 feet deep. There were areas where it was relatively thinner, but we could not find any water free of the muck within paddling distance of Warrior point where we camped. Although the ff showed fish both suspended and near the bottom down to 50 feet we could not get any bites trolling with lead core. We switched to top lined Lucky Craft Pointers which run 8 to 10 feet, trolling the 10 to 15 foot contour along the shoreline stretching from Warrior toward the Willows. The Pointers brought grabs at a satisfying rate despite the muck, but at least 4 out of 5 fish got unhooked before they could be brought to the boat. Silvery Pilot Peak fish around 24 inches were the largest we boated but Walt and I both think we had larger fish that became unhooked right away. I will be looking for a hook to use on the Pointer that holds fish better.

Jetspray
11-04-2017, 06:34 AM
More time will remove most of the junk with the storms coming in, at least with a kayak you won't have to deal with the launch area at Pelican.......Jetspray

borntoscout
11-04-2017, 07:35 AM
More time will remove most of the junk with the storms coming in, at least with a kayak you won't have to deal with the launch area at Pelican.......Jetspray The "muck" is not aquatic or terrestrial higher plant debris (there is lots of that too) but an algal bloom. It appears olive colored in the water and turns blue green when dried on your line and guides. I would post a photo but the attachment button seems to have gone away.

Jetspray
11-04-2017, 09:09 AM
Yeah I have seen that there too. I imagine that late blooms can show up it may be a late one......Jetspray

Waterdog
11-04-2017, 01:27 PM
Be cautious of algae blooms. Some are toxic and will kill dogs if they drink the water.

Prettyman01
11-04-2017, 09:16 PM
Keep an eye on your motor water intake as well. We had one of the motors over heat from sucking that stuff into the engine and had to limp back on the kicker this year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

iln143
11-05-2017, 08:00 AM
Hooks and I had the same problem. My kiiker got cloged and we had to finish trolling on the main motor. Watch your motors .