PDA

View Full Version : Trophy Brown's

CrappieJed
11-07-2017, 12:34 PM
Ok Brown hunters, check this out (for big fish bait) I have put together umbrella rig with 9 of my favorite hard minnow type lures all the same size and color added with RockyBrook sinker to the tie eye for clicking noise, not for weight because I'm going to try figure out how to attach this rig to the downrigger ball. I can't just troll this offering it has tremendous drag, I tried it at ice house. I really want get away from the ball as far as I can. If some of you experienced downrigger users have any suggestions that be great. Keep in mind I will use this only in summer time just below the thermocline so no chance of hang ups in trees and rocks. I would imagine I would need strong line for the attachment. I want the umbrella rig to stay on the ball when I have strike.
Quit laughing Brown Baggers lol

hooks
11-07-2017, 01:02 PM
Ok Brown hunters, check this out (for big fish bait) I have put together umbrella rig with 9 of my favorite hard minnow type lures all the same size and color added with RockyBrook sinker to the tie eye for clicking noise, not for weight because I'm going to try figure out how to attach this rig to the downrigger ball. I can't just troll this offering it has tremendous drag, I tried it at ice house. I really want get away from the ball as far as I can. If some of you experienced downrigger users have any suggestions that be great. Keep in mind I will use this only in summer time just below the thermocline so no chance of hang ups in trees and rocks. I would imagine I would need strong line for the attachment. I want the umbrella rig to stay on the ball when I have strike.
Quit laughing Brown Baggers lol

Attach the umbrella rig to the ball with a large clip or a split ring. Clip a stacker release above the ball just far enough so the umbrella rig won't tangle in the line. Let your lure out where you want it and clip it to the stacker release and drop it to desired depth.

Or......

Catch a monster!

hooks
11-07-2017, 01:15 PM
I've used ball flashers before. School of minnows if I remember. Attach the flashers to the ball then attach a clip on the other end. Let line out and attach to clip and drop it down. Caught an 18lb mack using it at Donner.

Not familiar with umbrella rigs.

CrappieJed
11-07-2017, 02:56 PM
I like the idea of the stacker. I still want the umbrella rig far away from the ball and boat motor, perhaps I can tie on length I like of braid and line counter out my main offering.
Thanks hooks I got it now, the stacker perfect idea!

CrappieJed
11-07-2017, 03:01 PM
Umbrella rig how to explain maybe bass guys can explain better then I can it's primary for bass I just got the hair brain idea it might work for trolling. I wish I could send pics off this iPad I show you what I made it looks deadly anyway

MKE
11-07-2017, 04:19 PM
Tie that rig on a 20'-30' 20# leader off the ball. Put the stacker clip 18" above the ball with your lure 12"-18" past the A-Rig. This requires knowing the exact length of your A-Rig and having a good line counter reel. When you drop it go SLOW or it will get all tangled up!

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

CrappieJed
11-07-2017, 05:27 PM
Yep that's exactly what I was thinking but still need be out further then 20' 30' just too Close set to the boat for the big boys. I guess I need figure out how much depth the rig will sink so to set the stacker...so your probably right though at least at 30' I can have little control without big mess

hooks
11-07-2017, 05:54 PM
Yep that's exactly what I was thinking but still need be out further then 20' 30' just too Close set to the boat for the big boys. I guess I need figure out how much depth the rig will sink so to set the stacker...so your probably right though at least at 30' I can have little control without big mess

​Are you guys trying to scare them to death? LOL

MKE
11-07-2017, 05:56 PM
I've been keeping mine as close to 30' as I can the last few years and have been thinking of making one at 75'-80' but that's a lot of line out to get your lure 18" from it.

MKE
11-07-2017, 05:59 PM
​Are you guys trying to scare them to death? LOLMaybe your on to something when they're not biting!

CrappieJed
11-07-2017, 06:26 PM
​Are you guys trying to scare them to death? LOL
Hooks you be best serve not try get in the minds of Trophy Brown hunters we're different breed lol

CrappieJed
11-07-2017, 06:32 PM
I've been keeping mine as close to 30' as I can the last few years and have been thinking of making one at 75'-80' but that's a lot of line out to get your lure 18" from it.

exactly glad you can see what I'm trying to do here.

hooks
11-07-2017, 07:09 PM
I watched a couple of videos of guys catching bass and underwater shots of the rig swimming. I like it. Looks like a small school of bait fish.

CrappieJed
11-07-2017, 08:49 PM
I watched a couple of videos of guys catching bass and underwater shots of the rig swimming. I like it. Looks like a small school of bait fish.
exactly bass guys love them wish we had them when I fished the western bass circuit back in 70's

fishwrong2
11-08-2017, 09:22 AM
I've had luck attaching a set of flashers to the downrigger ball, a release clip to the back end of the flashers and then my lure some setback behind that. Your setup sounds similar, just a much longer attachment between the ball and attractor. Key would be making sure the attractor doesn't tangle with your main-line on the way down. Ask me how I know that one.....

Stacker clip would work too, but you'd need to let it down very slowly and make sure your lure doesn't dive deep enough to get tangled with the attractor.

Another thought would be to set the attractors on one downrigger at run your lure off another. In big lakes, getting attention is relative and if your able to get a big brown to within 20'-30' of your lure, I think you've met your goal. Between sight and vibration I think in the ball park works. A lot of saltwater guys run a long line well behind their trolling spreads under a similar of theory. Get their attention, and then follow up with a straggler trying to catch up to the school. "El perdido" = "the little lost one".

Good topic.

hooks
11-08-2017, 11:23 AM
OK...try this.

Attach the A rig to the ball with the 30' setback you want. Then use the ShuttleHawk to get the lure down to the A rig. Put a stop the distance above the ball where you would put the stacker clip. Let the ball down to desired depth. Attach to ShuttleHawk to the DR wire and let out the premeasured amount of line to get your lure where you want it in relation to the A rig. Clip the line to the ShuttleHawk and send it down to the stop. No tangles.

How to keep the lure and A rig close together on turns? Or raising and lowering the ball? Lures that have erratic action?

Owlman2
11-08-2017, 11:56 AM
I honestly would be curious to hear if something like this is effective....

I have always perceived browns to be fairly cautious/timid....and I wonder how they would respond to an elaborate rig like that. I personally have no idea.

hooks
11-08-2017, 01:13 PM
I caught a brown on Tahoe way back when on a Ford Fender 50/50 A flasher and night crawler set up. It was only 5.25 lbs but it won the derby I was entered in. Surprised that a brown hit that set up.

Also caught a 30" brown trolling a #5 silver bullet J plug. Trolling for macks. WTH

chachie
11-08-2017, 02:08 PM
I feel like this is an underwater rats nest waiting to happen...

CrappieJed
11-08-2017, 07:55 PM
I feel like this is an underwater rats nest waiting to happen...
Or maybe another double digit Brown for ol uncle Cj lol

CrappieJed
11-08-2017, 08:00 PM
Some good ideas...I will tweak this thing make it work. It's catching one those big boys yet to be seen. But if it works real good you may not hear from me lol

chachie
11-09-2017, 08:06 AM
Or maybe another double digit Brown for ol uncle Cj lol

No doubt in my mind! But walking a VERY fine line to get there. hahaha

Seeforellen
11-09-2017, 09:49 PM
Youíre attempting to mimic a school of Kokanee and plan to fish 30-40 feet down or so assume? Could be interesting for sure. Iím certain they follow those schools in the summer and I wish I could extend my season into that time of the year as well!

Seeforellen
11-10-2017, 08:30 AM
This brings about another question I have had. For browns have you had success with lures that rattle? I have not, and am of the opinion they donít like the noise.
Any observations?

CrappieJed
11-10-2017, 09:06 AM
This brings about another question I have had. For browns have you had success with lures that rattle? I have not, and am of the opinion they donít like the noise.
Any observations?
you know trophy Brown guys...I will pm you I like chat with fellow serious trophy brown hunter

Snowtrout
11-10-2017, 10:54 AM
I have tried a umbrella rig for browns and was unsuccessful. I had great conditions to try it: early spring, fish in shallows and was catching fish using a rapala. Took that same rapala and ran it 2' behind as the trailing lure. The rig had a mixture of silver blades and soft minnow bodies (2 with hooks) on it. Had previously tried running a few hard minnow lures instead but found that they will all lose action and will work against each other if ran directly off the arms (plus only three lures could have hooks on them, screwing up the balance of the others that ran bare). Ran the rig for an hour in the same areas I had been catching fish and didn't get a hit. Took the rig off, put that same rapala back on my line and hooked up within five minutes in that same area.

Yes the rig put a lot of strain on the rod and if trolled above 3mph, would start to spin or rise up in the water column. Now it's setup with all soft minnow bodies for stripers....no more for browns.

To be fair, the lake I tried this at did not have kokanee nor shad, so this could work if those are the main forage.

Sac/Striper/Slayer
11-10-2017, 11:13 AM
Used them with great success for striper at New Hogan and even got a couple surprise rainbow trout there with the rig. They were soft body 4" swimbaits so I was surprised when 16" trout twice took the offering. We just put a 2-4oz cannonball weight on a slider on the main line above the umbrella rig to get it down. I have seen videos of guys on the east coast using large swimbaits for German Browns so it could work

TroutLife
11-11-2017, 06:04 PM
ditch the umbrella rig! Match whats in the body of water you plan to fish. run at least 300' behind the ball. keep bait close to bottom. spend endless hours and money. you will catch one. troll fast 3-5mph.

Owlman2
11-12-2017, 11:47 AM
Any observations?

I use lures with rattles (nearly all of them come that way unless you buy wood lures) and I have caught a reasonable number of large browns on them. Would I have caught more without the rattle? I have no idea....

My hook-up rate on browns over 5# is low enough that it is hard to get a sample large enough for meaningful conclusions....LOL

Hamachijohn
11-12-2017, 12:02 PM
ditch the umbrella rig! Match whats in the body of water you plan to fish. run at least 300' behind the ball. keep bait close to bottom. spend endless hours and money. you will catch one. troll fast 3-5mph.I normally keep mine about 70' behind the ball on my kayak. Wondering how the longer length behind the ball would help. Curious and wanting to improve my setup. Thx

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Owlman2
11-12-2017, 02:06 PM
I normally keep mine about 70' behind the ball on my kayak. Wondering how the longer length behind the ball would help. Curious and wanting to improve my setup. Thx

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

The thinking is just that browns are very timid, and the longer line you run the better. Even in my kayak I usually troll 100+ yards back....just because I have been told that is best.

Who knows if it is true? I just figure there is no way a longer line could hurt...except that it is much harder to control.

burninfuel
11-12-2017, 03:13 PM
twice that at Tahoe, 600ft. and 6# test

hooks
11-12-2017, 05:18 PM
twice that at Tahoe, 600ft. and 6# test

​And then some. A couple of my friends put out more and accuse me of short lining them with 600' LOL

CrappieJed
11-12-2017, 05:51 PM
ditch the umbrella rig! Match whats in the body of water you plan to fish. run at least 300' behind the ball. keep bait close to bottom. spend endless hours and money. you will catch one. troll fast 3-5mph.
Lol your probably right on the umbrella rig but I'm always trying get to that 20lb mark. I have been using those tactics you talk about for many years in californ and Oregon with many trophy Browns. Give me a email address I will show my last Brown close to 20 lbs one individual doesn't believe...so my trophy pictures only go out privately and non for his eyes to ever see.
Cj

CrappieJed
11-12-2017, 05:56 PM
The thinking is just that browns are very timid, and the longer line you run the better. Even in my kayak I usually troll 100+ yards back....just because I have been told that is best.

Who knows if it is true? I just figure there is no way a longer line could hurt...except that it is much harder to control.
it really depends if your top-lining or on the ball but of course I have the length I like for my way of chasing trophies

Owlman2
11-12-2017, 07:33 PM
it really depends if your top-lining or on the ball but of course I have the length I like for my way of chasing trophies

I only fish browns in the cool months when you can top line....I have a down-rigger on my kayak but it's awkward.

CrappieJed
11-12-2017, 10:14 PM
I only fish browns in the cool months when you can top line....I have a down-rigger on my kayak but it's awkward.
I bet that's kick fishing in kayak can't get much closer to the action then that.

Owlman2
11-13-2017, 06:11 AM
I bet that's kick fishing in kayak can't get much closer to the action then that.

The best thing about it is that you can easily launch it in water that "boats" cannot access.

Plus it forces my fat ass to get some exercise....LOL.

BigUnInDaBoat
11-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Lol your probably right on the umbrella rig but I'm always trying get to that 20lb mark. I have been using those tactics you talk about for many years in californ and Oregon with many trophy Browns. Give me a email address I will show my last Brown close to 20 lbs one individual doesn't believe...so my trophy pictures only go out privately and non for his eyes to ever see.
Cj

Sounds like an impressive catch. I'd have it mounted (repo of course) next to my 12 lb bass and 4 lb crappie.

CrappieJed
11-13-2017, 12:23 PM
Sounds like an impressive catch. I'd have it mounted (repo of course) next to my 12 lb bass and 4 lb crappie.
You must have looked at the archives of my trophy wall in my baitshop

CRABBY
11-13-2017, 01:03 PM
Sounds like an impressive catch. I'd have it mounted (repo of course) next to my 12 lb bass and 4 lb crappie.I suggest you stop disrupting Fishing posts...:shame:

BigUnInDaBoat
11-13-2017, 01:57 PM
You must have looked at the archives of my trophy wall in my baitshop

What a baitshop! Do you have an address? I'd love to stop by and see your wall.

BigUnInDaBoat
11-13-2017, 01:58 PM
I suggest you stop disrupting Fishing posts...:shame:

Whatever you say MGF.

CrappieJed
11-13-2017, 02:34 PM
What a baitshop! Do you have an address? I'd love to stop by and see your wall.
maybe someday...Cj don't hold grudges for too long

CRABBY
11-13-2017, 05:40 PM
Whatever you say MGF.Sweet, you still like me !!! :yahoo:

TroutLife
11-14-2017, 09:09 AM
20lbs is an incredible catch on the west coast. Congratulations. You could spend your whole life chasing that fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

burninfuel
11-14-2017, 09:44 AM
Look at the cover and artical of Male 21# Brown caught by my buddy. Western Outdoor News about 1995.
It's on his office wall.
great story about it.
Haters got to Hate

CrappieJed
11-14-2017, 12:51 PM
Look at the cover and artical of Male 21# Brown caught by my buddy. Western Outdoor News about 1995.
It's on his office wall.
great story about it.
Haters got to Hate
I will check it out what is his name chances are I know him or fished with him. If it's Guy Carl that we be great or Km Tagett I fished with him in Oregon for trophy Brown's. steelhead who was fishsniffer publisher writer caught 20 plus brown

Snowtrout
11-14-2017, 03:10 PM
I will check it out what is his name chances are I know him or fished with him. If it's Guy Carl that we be great or Km Tagett I fished with him in Oregon for trophy Brown's. steelhead who was fishsniffer publisher writer caught 20 plus brown

His name is Kim Daggett. Great Oregon fishermen and designer of his own lure. Unfortunately, got lots of criticism for a magazine cover photo of him holding a beautiful brown and claiming it was +20lbs, only to have the truth come out that it was much smaller. Either way it was a nice fish. I think he moved to CA (Coarsegold) after that and haven't heard anything from him since. Never met him but did learn a lot from his articles.

CrappieJed
11-14-2017, 05:12 PM
His name is Kim Daggett. Great Oregon fishermen and designer of his own lure. Unfortunately, got lots of criticism for a magazine cover photo of him holding a beautiful brown and claiming it was +20lbs, only to have the truth come out that it was much smaller. Either way it was a nice fish. I think he moved to CA (Coarsegold) after that and haven't heard anything from him since. Never met him but did learn a lot from his articles.
Kim has always gotten bad criticism lot jealous haters the guy has even caught bigger Brown's then 20lbs. I fished a lot with him he's my friend. Great Trophy brown trout fisherman he was using downriggers and black box in the west way before anyone knew what they were, except for the ocean salmon guys.

Owlman2
11-14-2017, 05:20 PM
20lbs is an incredible catch on the west coast. Congratulations. You could spend your whole life chasing that fish.

Agreed, for sure. I've caught lots between 5 and 10#....but I have never even caught a double digit brown.

Monkeybear10plus
11-18-2017, 05:26 PM
ditch the umbrella rig! Match whats in the body of water you plan to fish. run at least 300' behind the ball. keep bait close to bottom. spend endless hours and money. you will catch one. troll fast 3-5mph. I think between troutlife and Jed they have seen in person a fraction of the fish that my youngest dog has in it's life. That being said, the umbrella rig works, but is best in stained water. The I've used goes down about 10-12ft with 150ft behind the boat. Of course it's depth will change depending on speed and the lures you put on it. Use rapala floaters f5 or f7. Change the hooks according to law 😎🎣🔥good luck. I know some stories about fish weight lies!!! Some even posted on this site and got praises!! But that is a different matter 🤣

Monkeybear10plus
11-18-2017, 05:39 PM
Cj
Your 1st one over 10 was closest to 20 you ever got at lower twin lake. Who is it you are hiding from? That's pretty funny you are! Scared? Criticism hurt your feelings? What a fishy story. You only just caught your 1st over 10 a few years ago. Don't be acting like your some life long experienced brown guy. You got advice on how to do it by a guy who's on the lakes watch list in spawning grounds. You are entertaining to read I'll give you that. Good luck! 😎🎣

CrappieJed
11-18-2017, 08:45 PM
I think between troutlife and Jed they have seen in person a fraction of the fish that my youngest dog has in it's life. That being said, the umbrella rig works, but is best in stained water. The I've used goes down about 10-12ft with 150ft behind the boat. Of course it's depth will change depending on speed and the lures you put on it. Use rapala floaters f5 or f7. Change the hooks according to law 😎🎣🔥good luck. I know some stories about fish weight lies!!! Some even posted on this site and got praises!! But that is a different matter 🤣
I have no idea what you were babbling about. I'm pretty sure I have seen way more browns then your poodle has.

CrappieJed
11-18-2017, 08:55 PM
Your 1st one over 10 was closest to 20 you ever got at lower twin lake. Who is it you are hiding from? That's pretty funny you are! Scared? Criticism hurt your feelings? What a fishy story. You only just caught your 1st over 10 a few years ago. Don't be acting like your some life long experienced brown guy. You got advice on how to do it by a guy who's on the lakes watch list in spawning grounds. You are entertaining to read I'll give you that. Good luck! 😎🎣
Jelous little monkey boy Chris Fenton.

CRABBY
11-19-2017, 04:19 AM
Jelous little monkey boy Chris Fenton.chris fenton? I hope not,I banned him for life along with his fat buddy scott for threatening to kill Capt Tahoe I believe years ago.Interesting....:cop:

CrappieJed
11-19-2017, 08:11 AM
chris fenton? I hope not,I banned him for life along with his fat buddy scott for threatening to kill Capt Tahoe I believe years ago.Interesting....:cop:
It's him...I know lot great Throphy brown guys that say, well I will leave it at that. He's right though I did catch monster brown but he's kind of guy gets real jealous of that and says crazy things. He heard of this one fish thinks that's the only fish I ever caught because it was in a magazine and framed picture in the bait shop. I was fishing for trophy Brown's and caught many it's been my passion before he was born.

Owlman2
11-19-2017, 08:53 AM
There sure is some hate exuding from that guy...I don't get it....

Must come from events outside the forum...

BigUnInDaBoat
11-19-2017, 10:23 AM
I banned him for life for threatening to kill Capt Tahoe

If I ever become so filled with hate and paranoia that I start resembling you, I hope somebody pushes me off a cliff.

I'll pay for the privilege an I know a real cool place off of camp 9 road,its a big rock formation that sticks out from the hill an its has about a 1000+ - ft. free fall an then ya get to start bouncing off rocks etc. an then you will most likely land in the Stanislaus river Sounds pretty good huh........

BigUnInDaBoat
11-19-2017, 10:24 AM
Jelous little monkey boy Chris Fenton.

BigUnInDaBoat
11-19-2017, 10:27 AM
So there is a member of our local CJC that actually fishes? This bait store actually exists! These brown guys, they are truly a different breed of human, I got into it with Allen Cole years ago for simply having a conversation with another "brown guy" after he had sent me half a dozen AC plugs. They fetched a pretty penny on Ebay, as I was not ever going to use those bad karma lures.

PMR#9
11-19-2017, 11:36 AM
So there is a member of our local CJC that actually fishes? This bait store actually exists! These brown guys, they are truly a different breed of human, I got into it with Allen Cole years ago for simply having a conversation with another "brown guy" after he had sent me half a dozen AC plugs. They fetched a pretty penny on Ebay, as I was not ever going to use those bad karma lures.

So how did bigUn become president of the CJC

BigUnInDaBoat
11-19-2017, 01:19 PM
So how did bigUn become president of the CJC

Nah man, those four are in their own category.

CrappieJed
11-19-2017, 02:43 PM
Nah man, those four are in their own category.
That's the Fab Four to you

CRABBY
11-19-2017, 03:14 PM
Oh man now look what ya all went an done,ya woke up our -------, ----.Shame,shame.Well he just wants to be loved too......:highly_amused::highly_amused:.Careful now can't use any descriptive type names for it...:kahuna38kk::kahuna29nm:......

TroutLife
11-19-2017, 03:39 PM
It is for sure Chris Fenton. One hundred percent.

hooks
11-20-2017, 05:47 AM
chris fenton? I hope not,I banned him for life along with his fat buddy scott for threatening to kill Capt Tahoe I believe years ago.Interesting....:cop:

​Maybe Obama pardoned him? LOL

CRABBY
11-20-2017, 07:47 AM
​Maybe Obama pardoned him? LOL:highly_amused:.......:rotfl::rotfl: