PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth Pool fish kill

Snowtrout
11-24-2017, 08:14 AM
In today's Fresno Bee, there was an article about fish dying at the reservoir due to low oxygen levels. Back in sept-oct, I watched the lake elevation online drop over 140' in a few weeks....explains why the oxygen disappeared. Too much water was drained out too fast. The lake was projected to drop but over a longer time period and not this amount of water.

For those that do not know about Mammoth Pool, it's a lake on the San Joaquin river above Millerton. It is known for its hard fighting rainbows, elusive big browns and tasty crawfish. Hopefully this event did not kill off this underestimated fishery.

CrappieJed
11-24-2017, 09:24 AM
Dang hard hear that. I will give Roger George call, did he write about this?

Snowtrout
11-24-2017, 10:25 AM
Mr. George was not the writer of the article. The reporter did call him earlier this week and Roger called me asking if I had heard anything. Only thing I knew was SCE dropped the water extremely fast (I watched the numbers drop) and that the water level was below the elevation/level needed to launch a boat off a trailer (it's 30' below my launchable number). Usually I only fish here from November to April and have not been there since last spring.

CrappieJed
11-24-2017, 11:10 AM
Hmm let too much water out thinking that winter snow pack was higher then they thought. Or maybe they took lot water out fight the numerous fires. You think could be that? Is there any pics of floaters on the lake? I might take drive over sat itís not that far for me.

CrappieJed
11-24-2017, 11:12 AM
What month does the lake close for the deer swim, I canít remember off top my head at this moment.

Seeforellen
11-24-2017, 03:06 PM
I think itís some time in May through June 20 or so?

Monkeybear10plus
11-25-2017, 11:39 AM
Mr. George was not the writer of the article. The reporter did call him earlier this week and Roger called me asking if I had heard anything. Only thing I knew was SCE dropped the water extremely fast (I watched the numbers drop) and that the water level was below the elevation/level needed to launch a boat off a trailer (it's 30' below my launchable number). Usually I only fish here from November to April and have not been there since last spring.
3 browns over 10 pounds came out of there this year. one was 16 pounds😮. Big rainbows come out of there too.

Seeforellen
11-26-2017, 04:34 PM
Iím going to have to call bs on that one. I will assume ahead of time that do to our secretive nature that you canít or wonít produce a photo to substantiate that? Iím not sure where you are from, but I am familiar with the brown trout locals who target that lake and others nearby.
And frankly if it were that good then I would be disappointed that you blew the whistle on it! I suppose that is the double edged sword of a fishing website. In order to contribute to some extent we have to share some level of our knowledge and information, but I have a bad feeling it might come at a fisheries expense.

AnglingWes
11-26-2017, 05:49 PM
Iím going to have to call bs on that one. I will assume ahead of time that do to our secretive nature that you canít or wonít produce a photo to substantiate that? Iím not sure where you are from, but I am familiar with the brown trout locals who target that lake and others nearby.
And frankly if it were that good then I would be disappointed that you blew the whistle on it! I suppose that is the double edged sword of a fishing website. In order to contribute to some extent we have to share some level of our knowledge and information, but I have a bad feeling it might come at a fisheries expense.

Or it is that good and you are ďpreservingĒ the resource for yourself. Either way, always a dilemma.

Snowtrout
11-26-2017, 07:02 PM
Mammoth Pool is closed May 1-June 15 for the deer migration. Also have to watch for them in the late fall to early winter as they migrate towards the North Fork area.

People get Mammoth Pool and Mammoth Lakes mixed up all the time, especially those living in the north part of the valley. So maybe there is where the confusion lies.

I do believe that there are some big fish in MP and my best is over 8lbs but I have rarely ever ran into people over the past 10 years trolling specifically for browns here that I did not know. Yes, there are a few secretive locals but I probably would have run into them here or at other nearby lakes. Not saying I know all things brown trout in the Fresno area. Just have a difficult time believing claims of huge browns and nothing being said or heard locally.

Very few people know me or know what I catch. So maybe I have a doppelgšnger who fishes on the days I don't. :naughty:

FresnoJack
11-26-2017, 08:12 PM
May 1st to June 16th. The times may vary from year to year. The closure used to begin right around tax time.

The Forest Service camp grounds were closed this year due to the bark beetle infestations making trees hazardous.

As I understand it, the closures will extend to 2018 and 2019 as well.

The area is administered through the Bass Lake Ranger Station. 559.877.2218

Mammoth Pools were a series of pools in the upper San Joaquin River. The pools were the salmon spawning areas.

There was an annual deer migration through that area of the river. The migration continued even after the area was inundated by the reservoir waters.
Numbers of migrating deer drown each year. The boat and fishing closures are thought to help reduce the risks.

What month does the lake close for the deer swim, I canít remember off top my head at this moment.

FresnoJack
11-26-2017, 08:24 PM
I was told at the Ranger Station that the draw downs were, in part, at least, to do work on the dam face.

Hopefully, if the Redinger dam ever gets built, the water levels at the Pools will be more stable.

Hmm let too much water out thinking that winter snow pack was higher then they thought. Or maybe they took lot water out fight the numerous fires. You think could be that? Is there any pics of floaters on the lake? I might take drive over sat itís not that far for me.

Seeforellen
11-26-2017, 09:10 PM
Or it is that good and you are ďpreservingĒ the resource for yourself. Either way, always a dilemma.
Wes, there is no brown trout fishery in Cali that produces any large amount of trophy browns. We simply donít have a prolific stocking program or many lakes with a forage base to grow these predatory fish. Any lake other than the two that we all know of that had the pressure cranked up on them would worry me as to their future.
i had the trophy fever so bad I went to Lake Michigan and in two days caught a 15,12 and every other lb fish between 10 and 5.
but that and our lakes are night and day different.

CrappieJed
11-27-2017, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=Seeforellen;1138536]Wes, there is no brown trout fishery in Cali that produces any large amount of trophy browns. We simply donít have a prolific stocking program or many lakes with a forage base to grow these predatory fish. Any lake other than the two that we all know of that had the pressure cranked up on them would worry me as to their future.
i had the trophy fever so bad I went to Lake Michigan and in two days caught a 15,12 and every other lb fish between 10 and 5.
but that and our lakes are night and day different.[/
Milwaukee harbor and whites river in Arkansas has monster monster size Browns but you noticed theyíre not as beautiful as a brown that comes out of a Sierra reservoir or lake?

burninfuel
11-27-2017, 01:49 PM
Mammoth Pool is the headwaters of the San Joaquin River, it will get plenty of O2 to the fish.
The lodge has a 17# Brown mounted and was caught by Savage 300 rifle shot.
This is the creek next to the ramp that waterfalls into the lake, runs thru the campgrounds.
I was there a year after it was on the wall.

CrappieJed
11-27-2017, 02:06 PM
Mammoth Pool is the headwaters of the San Joaquin River, it will get plenty of O2 to the fish.
The lodge has a 17# Brown mounted and was caught by Savage 300 rifle shot.
This is the creek next to the ramp that waterfalls into the lake, runs thru the campgrounds.
I was there a year after it was on the wall.
Yeah the lower San Joaquin river. Where is the lodge I have never seen the lodge

Seeforellen
11-27-2017, 02:13 PM
[QUOTE=Seeforellen;1138536]Wes, there is no brown trout fishery in Cali that produces any large amount of trophy browns. We simply donít have a prolific stocking program or many lakes with a forage base to grow these predatory fish. Any lake other than the two that we all know of that had the pressure cranked up on them would worry me as to their future.
but that and our lakes are night and day different.[/
Milwaukee harbor and whites river in Arkansas has monster monster size Browns but you noticed theyíre not as beautiful as a brown that comes out of a Sierra reservoir or lake?
I know what your saying Jed, some were that dark belly kind, but some were perfect and just as pretty. There were many different variations that I saw. I wish I caught a big hookjaw but I didnít.

CrappieJed
11-27-2017, 03:23 PM
Thatís real nice looking brown. Is Thatís one of the Fish you caught back east? Did any of them have that bright yellow on their sides?

burninfuel
11-27-2017, 04:02 PM
Yeah the lower San Joaquin river. Where is the lodge I have never seen the lodge
memory from 1973 was between ramp road and main campground, all owned by rancher in Fresno area and run by family and my uncle Cook, worked store and bartender.

http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/outdoors/hunting-fishing/article186226193.html

Snowtrout
11-27-2017, 04:26 PM
It's called Wagers Resort. It's right at the turnoff if going to the dam area. I've only been there once for a beer and burger. Most of the time they are not open before May 1 and usually are closing up for winter in early October before I start fishing the lake again.

CrappieJed
11-27-2017, 04:40 PM
memory from 1973 was between ramp road and main campground, all owned by rancher in Fresno area and run by family and my uncle Cook, worked store and bartender.

http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/outdoors/hunting-fishing/article186226193.html
Well my dad and I weíre going take a ride up to mammoth pool tomorrow, you save me trip. That just makes me sick. I just text Roger see if he will have more on his column this week.

No more brown trout pens at new Melones now bad fish kill at Mammoth. Not that either lake had monster browns but they were very decent sized.

burninfuel
11-27-2017, 05:51 PM
spI had to look at a map, Wagoner's Mammoth Pool resort. nothing else back in 1973.

I find out the migration goes across the dam road. and other crossings.
All this drainage for a couple sensors ???? I have transducers that read anything from 0-1000ft. of water depth ?????

FresnoJack
11-28-2017, 01:24 PM
Caught a 7lb brown there. It had 2 9 inch stockers in its throat.

Of course, this was awhile ago.

I had a 34 inch waist and Kennedy was President.

3 browns over 10 pounds came out of there this year. one was 16 pounds��. Big rainbows come out of there too.

CrappieJed
11-28-2017, 02:16 PM
Caught a 7lb brown there. It had 2 9 inch stockers in its throat.

Of course, this was awhile ago.

I had a 34 inch waist and Kennedy was President.
nice...
i think I was 34Ē tall when Jack was topping Norma Jeane

FresnoJack
11-30-2017, 11:32 AM
This is a link to the video that sparked the article.

Taken from the Fresno Bee fishing report November 28

https://tinyurl.com/y9c5lxcc

In today's Fresno Bee, there was an article about fish dying at the reservoir due to low oxygen levels. Back in sept-oct, I watched the lake elevation online drop over 140' in a few weeks....explains why the oxygen disappeared. Too much water was drained out too fast. The lake was projected to drop but over a longer time period and not this amount of water.

For those that do not know about Mammoth Pool, it's a lake on the San Joaquin river above Millerton. It is known for its hard fighting rainbows, elusive big browns and tasty crawfish. Hopefully this event did not kill off this underestimated fishery.

Slowtrollr
12-01-2017, 09:25 AM
Sad, had some great fishing trips there.

Monkeybear10plus
12-02-2017, 08:09 PM
The two guys who caught them. Don't want pictures on here. Jed knows how they feel. They've been fishing there and the 395 lakes for years. I bet they pull big ones out next year. They said that lake always gets very low. I've never been there. Wish it was closer.

Snowtrout
12-03-2017, 08:54 AM
You do realize that it is a 9-10 hour drive between Mammoth Pool and Mammoth Lakes/the 395 lakes, except when Tioga pass is open for summer only. And the last time this lake was extremely low like this (but 40' higher) was 2011. So I am pretty sure you have the places mixed up.

As someone who has specifically targeted brown trout for over 20 years, mostly around central CA, I am tired of the heresay and "my buddy said" unsupported BS information that runs rampant in parts of the "brown world." You want creditibility without showing a pic? Easy, earn it with your words.

I do not release my pics on public forums because I am trying to protect my privacy. But I do write facts and details in my reports and make statements that those who know the body of water or technique, can understand. Hopefully, those words have gained me credibility in the eyes of others. If not, then I am just a "troll" who brings nothing to the conversation.

Enough of this, I'm going brown fishing at Shaver. Look for the white Lund.

Seeforellen
12-03-2017, 09:04 AM
I heard a couple guys who donít want pictures shared caught 3 browns over 10 last year out of Shaver.
You do realize that it is a 9-10 hour drive between Mammoth Pool and Mammoth Lakes/the 395 lakes, except when Tioga pass is open for summer only. And the last time this lake was extremely low like this (but 40' higher) was 2011. So I am pretty sure you have the places mixed up.

As someone who has specifically targeted brown trout for over 20 years, mostly around central CA, I am tired of the heresay and "my buddy said" unsupported BS information that runs rampant in parts of the "brown world." You want creditibility without showing a pic? Easy, earn it with your words.

I do not release my pics on public forums because I am trying to protect my privacy. But I do write facts and details in my reports and make statements that those who know the body of water or technique, can understand. Hopefully, those words have gained me credibility in the eyes of others. If not, then I am just a "troll" who brings nothing to the conversation.

Enough of this, I'm going brown fishing at Shaver. Look for the white Lund.

Snowtrout
12-03-2017, 09:18 AM
Heck, I caught at least 3 over 10 in the summer and 5 over 20 last spring. Inches that is :yahoo:

FresnoJack
12-26-2017, 05:29 AM
What about Twin Lakes near Bridgeport in Mono County?

Crowley Lake also in Mono County?

Shaver Lake, Edison Lake and Florence Lake in Fresno County?

Wes, there is no brown trout fishery in Cali that produces any large amount of trophy browns. We simply donít have a prolific stocking program or many lakes with a forage base to grow these predatory fish. Any lake other than the two that we all know of that had the pressure cranked up on them would worry me as to their future.
but that and our lakes are night and day different.