PDA

View Full Version : Berryessa 12/11

Yakbah
12-13-2017, 08:23 AM
First things first. Get to Berryessa before the bite dies! It's been hot since early November and I caught three more yesterday one my new PB.

Woke up yesterday and checked the forecast and saw that it was too good to pass up. Late start, Went to Pleasure Cove and was on the water at 9:30. It was in the low 50s but no wind. Water temp was 56 when I launched.

I started toplining rapalas immediately, right alongside the boat slips. I saw some marks on the ff but was getting no action so I slowly trolled back over to the marks and then sped up to 2.75 mph and the rod went bendo. Nothing big 13 inches tips but it still eats the same.

The rest of the day I trolled changing from slow to fast quite frequently and that was the ticket to trigger the bites. I didn't get any action again till 12:30 with the sun blaring across the water. I sped up quickly and my rod slammed over. I was in 140+ fow and it felt like a snag. Then it peeled off line for 10 seconds straight and then I slowly brought it in as she didn't give in very easily. Once I got her close enough I knew it was my PB. It was like she knew it too because she came in belly up immediately after and smoothly into the net for me. 21 inches and FAT! Onto the stringer.

I ate lunch once I reached the narrows and then turned to head back in around 2ish. I caught one more 16 incher and lost a fatty that might have broken my PB from earlier in the day. I didn't get my net into the water deep enough and the trebles of the rapala got caught on the lip of the net with the rainbow outside of it. I got over excited and tried "flip" the fish into the net and as soon as I took it out the water the hooks popped out and the fish was gone...

All in all it was a great day. Good weather, good bite, beautiful lake can't beat it. Saw a couple small forkhorns right off the road to the launch too. Get up there before the bite dies.

iln143
12-13-2017, 08:42 AM
What a great day! Well done.

slweels
12-13-2017, 09:47 AM
Any apprehension about eating fish from Berryessa? I've heard some stuff about the water quality. Just curious.

First things first. Get to Berryessa before the bite dies! It's been hot since early November and I caught three more yesterday one my new PB.

Woke up yesterday and checked the forecast and saw that it was too good to pass up. Late start, Went to Pleasure Cove and was on the water at 9:30. It was in the low 50s but no wind. Water temp was 56 when I launched.

I started toplining rapalas immediately, right alongside the boat slips. I saw some marks on the ff but was getting no action so I slowly trolled back over to the marks and then sped up to 2.75 mph and the rod went bendo. Nothing big 13 inches tips but it still eats the same.

The rest of the day I trolled changing from slow to fast quite frequently and that was the ticket to trigger the bites. I didn't get any action again till 12:30 with the sun blaring across the water. I sped up quickly and my rod slammed over. I was in 140+ fow and it felt like a snag. Then it peeled off line for 10 seconds straight and then I slowly brought it in as she didn't give in very easily. Once I got her close enough I knew it was my PB. It was like she knew it too because she came in belly up immediately after and smoothly into the net for me. 21 inches and FAT! Onto the stringer.

I ate lunch once I reached the narrows and then turned to head back in around 2ish. I caught one more 16 incher and lost a fatty that might have broken my PB from earlier in the day. I didn't get my net into the water deep enough and the trebles of the rapala got caught on the lip of the net with the rainbow outside of it. I got over excited and tried "flip" the fish into the net and as soon as I took it out the water the hooks popped out and the fish was gone...

All in all it was a great day. Good weather, good bite, beautiful lake can't beat it. Saw a couple small forkhorns right off the road to the launch too. Get up there before the bite dies.

Yakbah
12-13-2017, 11:50 AM
Slweels, no I don't. I'd have to eat it daily for weeks if not months to get any ill effects. Not a doctor so I could be wrong (probably am).

HookedForLife
12-13-2017, 07:13 PM
Slweels, no I don't. I'd have to eat it daily for weeks if not months to get any ill effects. Not a doctor so I could be wrong (probably am).

Check out the health warnings in the back of the freshwater fishing regulations. Lake Berryessa is listed, but mercury concentrations vary with species. Trout and kokanee are generally safe.