PDA

View Full Version : Merced Falls 12/17

SJPanfisher28
12-18-2017, 11:50 PM
I wanted to go out on Saturday but it was too windy. That evening I went to WalMart and bought a new pole. I decided to go fishing on Sunday morning. I left the house at 7 and got there by 7:30. The sun was rising and there was some fog around the water but it was starting to lift. Normally I would fish below McSwain Dam but the fishing there hasn't been too productive lately so I decided to fish above Merced Falls Dam. I set up one pole with orange PB on a 12 inch leader. I went to set up the other pole when I noticed the first pole bounce up and down. I set the hook and began to reel in the fish. It felt heavier than any trout I've caught; I thought that it was a carp or sucker. When I caught my first glimpse of the fish I was shocked; it was a huge trout. After a few minutes I landed the fish; it was a 22 inch beauty, my personal best trout. I caught a 14 inch trout on chartreuse PB about an hour later and another 14 incher on rainbow glitter garlic PB at around 10:30. I stayed out till noon. I wish I could have taken pictures while I was fishing, but I was caught up in the moment. I ended up taking pictures of my catch when I got home3179331794

fishwrong2
12-19-2017, 09:55 AM
"Caught up in the moment" of catching you biggest trout is the perfect place to be. That feeling is what i love most about this sport....

Congrats.

Sutter Creek
12-19-2017, 04:55 PM
Nice fish!

CrappieJed
12-19-2017, 07:32 PM
I wanted to go out on Saturday but it was too windy. That evening I went to WalMart and bought a new pole. I decided to go fishing on Sunday morning. I left the house at 7 and got there by 7:30. The sun was rising and there was some fog around the water but it was starting to lift. Normally I would fish below McSwain Dam but the fishing there hasn't been too productive lately so I decided to fish above Merced Falls Dam. I set up one pole with orange PB on a 12 inch leader. I went to set up the other pole when I noticed the first pole bounce up and down. I set the hook and began to reel in the fish. It felt heavier than any trout I've caught; I thought that it was a carp or sucker. When I caught my first glimpse of the fish I was shocked; it was a huge trout. After a few minutes I landed the fish; it was a 22 inch beauty, my personal best trout. I caught a 14 inch trout on chartreuse PB about an hour later and another 14 incher on rainbow glitter garlic PB at around 10:30. I stayed out till noon. I wish I could have taken pictures while I was fishing, but I was caught up in the moment. I ended up taking pictures of my catch when I got home3179331794
very nice fish. Have you ever fished off the McSwain bridge? Is A-1 bait shop still in business? When I was in high school I loved hanging out there talking to the fishermen sharing fishing experiences. Those were the days, great bass fisherman would be there. I fished Merced bass federation, western Bass