PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Wild Pheasants in California

Waterdog
12-19-2017, 12:39 PM
I got a chance to hunt wild pheasants yesterday on private property in the northern Sac valley. A friend has access to a large tract of rice property and the only hunting there is the farmer, family and friends. It reminded me of pheasant hunting in the Sac valley 30 years ago. Iíve had access to pheasant properties every year but dropped my WU and duck club memberships this year.
The property has rice berms, lots of ditches with heavy growth in them and some areas not being farmed that are excellent pheasant habitat.
I think my buddy invited me cause my dog is a veteran pheasant hunter. A great nose and a hard working dog, will bust brush like nothing.
Started at legal hunting start time and missed my first pheasant within 5 minutes. Took a auto rather than my o/u as I wanted that third shot for these pocket rocket birds. It also took me an extra second or 2 to make sure it was a rooster before shooting. The next bird I nailed on my third shot. Came down about 80 yards out and started running. My dog Sprig was on it like a heat seeking missile. Caught up with it about 150 yards away and retrieved it to hand. Those wild birds are fast and it took awhile to get back on it. We ended the day with 5 roosters. Could have got a limit but Sprig was tired and we old guys were exhausted. Some we flat out missed and some flushed out of range.
It was just an awesome day . Now itís back to Hastings island for club pheasant. Although I will say Hastings is the closest to wild bird hunting as their birds are released and not planted. Hereís a couple pix of Sprig and his pheasants and him exhausted sleeping with his cat.

Kimochou
12-19-2017, 01:05 PM
You know you had a great hunt when you tire out your dog! Nice job on the wild pheasants.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

CRABBY
12-19-2017, 01:12 PM
:yahoo::party-smiley-020::yahoo::party-smiley-020:...............Good job.....

monkey916
12-19-2017, 02:36 PM
Oh man I miss chasing wild rooster's... Nice job...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk