PDA

View Full Version : Lower stani blown out for the opener!

phishndad
12-26-2017, 03:36 PM
I've been keeping an eye on releases ftom goodwin dam the last few weeks in anticipation of the opener jan.1st. Just today releases have shot way up and as far out as I can see which is jan. 2nd scheduled releases will stay high. The water levels and scheduled releases on the other local trout/steelhead rivers that open on the 1st look promising. Any recommendations on which of the other local rivers to hit for the opener? I have limited experience on the Moke and Merced rivers and I have never fished the lower Toulumne for trout. Kind of leaning towards the merced or Moke. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

stefanoflo
12-26-2017, 08:49 PM
I've been keeping an eye on releases ftom goodwin dam the last few weeks in anticipation of the opener jan.1st. Just today releases have shot way up and as far out as I can see which is jan. 2nd scheduled releases will stay high. The water levels and scheduled releases on the other local trout/steelhead rivers that open on the 1st look promising. Any recommendations on which of the other local rivers to hit for the opener? I have limited experience on the Moke and Merced rivers and I have never fished the lower Toulumne for trout. Kind of leaning towards the merced or Moke. Any suggestions?

Moke is good . The American in Sacramento has Bigger fish / sometimes you will get a 10LBS + steelhead
even if you have never fished a Certain river, It always good to go. the More you go the better . you learn all the good and bad spots and you learn the Rivers Personality as well.I`ve always thought the more rivers you Know the More fish You can catch.I have Certain Rods for Certain Rivers. Big Rods for Big fish rods that handle 8-12 LBS line(steel head rod) and Smaller rod That hold 6-10 LBs for Smaller fish,Normally my trout rod. New rivers are fun and Challenging .

phishndad
12-26-2017, 09:29 PM
I agree, fishing different waters expands your fishing knowledge and skills. I fish the lower stani the most because it is the closest to me. Really leaning towards the mole as I've only fished it a handful of times. I've fished the access area near the hatchery. Any other good access areas?

stefanoflo
12-27-2017, 07:49 AM
I agree, fishing different waters expands your fishing knowledge and skills. I fish the lower stani the most because it is the closest to me. Really leaning towards the mole as I've only fished it a handful of times. I've fished the access area near the hatchery. Any other good access areas?

Actually that river can give you some of the best fishing for a day and come back the next and fish that same area and you can get skunked. When fishing the Moke . Try and fish as much as you can All Over before the closure I believe in March or April, then fish it again when it reopens and before the Kids get out of College/school.That river gets all kind of swimmers and kayakers then. Not good for about Late September/Oct when the Salmon come up and you might get a good Fresh salmon or a good Wild steel head as i Did this year in September. and a salmon in October, But then again Flows where very favorable for the fish as well this past year. Like i said That whole river is good from The Hatchery to the Section downstream tor the Big parking lot when you first come into the park.Right now we need some good rain to keep it going.

phishndad
12-30-2017, 02:24 AM
Actually that river can give you some of the best fishing for a day and come back the next and fish that same area and you can get skunked. When fishing the Moke . Try and fish as much as you can All Over before the closure I believe in March or April, then fish it again when it reopens and before the Kids get out of College/school.That river gets all kind of swimmers and kayakers then. Not good for about Late September/Oct when the Salmon come up and you might get a good Fresh salmon or a good Wild steel head as i Did this year in September. and a salmon in October, But then again Flows where very favorable for the fish as well this past year. Like i said That whole river is good from The Hatchery to the Section downstream tor the Big parking lot when you first come into the park.Right now we need some good rain to keep it going.

31818I think I've decided to hit the toulumne on the opener, if that's a bust I can then make the quick 20 min trip to the merced and try there. Flows should be fishable on the stani by the 3rd or 4th. I'm off work that entire first week of the year so I'm hoping to get in some good local trout/steelie action to start the year off!

stefanoflo
12-30-2017, 05:10 PM
I think I've decided to hit the toulumne on the opener, if that's a bust I can then make the quick 20 min trip to the merced and try there. Flows should be fishable on the stani by the 3rd or 4th. I'm off work that entire first week of the year so I'm hoping to get in some good local trout/steelie action to start the year off!

I will be there as well . Hope we meet
see ya and good luck , Flow are around 400 or so . Should be good wading . I`ve waded when it was at 700CFS and was still able to hit some good spots drifting worms
with More people Might be those good spots are taken , but then again its a Long river and Most leave around noon anyway, Thanks to the NFL!

phishndad
12-30-2017, 05:14 PM
I will be there as well . Hope we meet
see ya and good luck , Flow are around 400 or so . Should be good wading . I`ve waded when it was at 700CFS and was still able to hit some good spots drifting worms
with More people Might be those good spots are taken , but then again its a Long river and Most leave around noon anyway, Thanks to the NFL!Are you allowed to fish bait on the lower toulumne? I'm talking about below la grange dam And the merced below crocker-hoffman. I believe they are both artifical/barbless.

stefanoflo
12-31-2017, 12:32 PM
Are you allowed to fish bait on the lower toulumne? I'm talking about below la grange dam And the merced below crocker-hoffman. I believe they are both artifical/barbless.

never fished Touolumne . Might need to go to the Regulation pages of Fish and Game .

www.wildlife.ca.gov/regulations

phishndad
12-31-2017, 12:34 PM
never fished Touolumne . Might need to go to the Regulation pages of Fish and Game .

www.wildlife.ca.gov/regulationsSo what river are you fishing on the first? I hope to do a lot of fishing this next week hope to see you out on one of our local rivers!

stefanoflo
12-31-2017, 06:05 PM
So what river are you fishing on the first? I hope to do a lot of fishing this next week hope to see you out on one of our local rivers!

Moke below Camanche . Might start around 9 am or so . lately with the cold weather, maybe having the water warm up might work to get the fish moving . I Plan on Hitting Upstream and work downstream to the Big Parking lot.which will be the first one you come to when you enter. I plan on hitting it again Tuesday . maybe with less pressure maybe Tuesday might be as good . i`m only 20 minutes so I normally go 2-3 times a week.Clements has a park that has access as well. Might try that as well. parking is 5.00. In Stillman park in Clements.Its a Long season . have plenty of time before the river Closes again in March!

phishndad
01-01-2018, 06:10 PM
Moke below Camanche . Might start around 9 am or so . lately with the cold weather, maybe having the water warm up might work to get the fish moving . I Plan on Hitting Upstream and work downstream to the Big Parking lot.which will be the first one you come to when you enter. I plan on hitting it again Tuesday . maybe with less pressure maybe Tuesday might be as good . i`m only 20 minutes so I normally go 2-3 times a week.Clements has a park that has access as well. Might try that as well. parking is 5.00. In Stillman park in Clements.Its a Long season . have plenty of time before the river Closes again in March!Got a late start today, little too much fun last night! Lol. Got to the Toulumne about 9:30 am and there was probably 30+ cars there! Most people were fishing the riffles near the parking area. Once I walked about a 1/2 mile or so I found a decent amount of solitude. Caught a lot of dinkers 4-6", a few decent ones around 14-15", and lost 2 nice ones one looked 20"+. Spent more time walking and wading then actually fishing as this was my first time at this stretch of river. Made it all the way to the dam and spotted a lot of good looking water. Better fish came from deeper slower waters jigging spoons deep. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180102/8b8946ab862d9e61468ea1f7d4dbd6f9.jpgfirst fish of the year. A dinker.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180102/9fecd05d9264014b53a6100810b49da4.jpga nice 14"

stefanoflo
01-02-2018, 10:08 PM
Moke had a lot of pressure on Steelhead opener. what was caught wa s small natives that hatched in the river , did see a few catch 9-10 inch Natives or wild Unclipped fish with worms. I heard some where tossing Glo bugs and egg patters
or a bugger at times. water had color and very low and cold . Bite did not pick up until around 10:30 or so when i started see those fish caught. made me wonder why on a cold day Fisherman get there at sunrise leave at before or at noon and wonder why there fish did not Bite.Cold water cold Bite / warm water hot Bite .water had to be at lease 48 or so . I'm not even getting out of Bed at that degree , Sure water got to about 50 or so which is better than 48. Big difference when the water warms up in WINTER!!!!