PDA

View Full Version : Snelling hooks

Fish-on
12-29-2017, 11:35 AM
Not sure if it is just me but it seems like every time I snell a hook with light # line it is not very strong. For example I have been tying leaders with 6# fluorocarbon and when I snell a hook it seems to break a lot easier than when I tie a clinch or polamar knot. When I use heavier leader like 10-12# I donít have a problem with the knots breaking and it is the knot that breaks. What gives ??

QueenAnnesRevenge
12-29-2017, 12:41 PM
Never had that problem
Tie a roe knot to use as a bumper in case the hook eye is cutting the fluoro

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

fishwrong2
12-29-2017, 01:26 PM
Can't say for sure, but whenever I've had problems with knots, it's either been that I haven't properly dressed the knot (make sure it tightens down correctly), or it's a bad piece of line. Knicks, scrapes and sun damage is more likely to cause a failure on lighter line. I've also had issues with very light line being so limp as to make it difficult to hold the knot together as you're finishing it.

Just my observations over the years.

Fish-on
12-29-2017, 02:08 PM
Good ideas but I have eliminated those variables by using different lines and re-tying knots many times. For some reason my snells with light lines just donít hold up well. Guess I just use other tried and true knots.

CRABBY
12-29-2017, 05:07 PM
Good ideas but I have eliminated those variables by using different lines and re-tying knots many times. For some reason my snells with light lines just donít hold up well. Guess I just use other tried and true knots.Make sure ya use a lot of spit an cinch it up slowly.

Waterdog
12-29-2017, 07:41 PM
For all fishing knots including snelling , ďspitĒ is the key as pointed out by CRABBY. Been spitting on fishing knots for 60+ years.

Taiki
12-29-2017, 08:00 PM
Maybe you are getting a burr from the eye of the hook connection. try wrapping line toward you if you are holding hook in left hand.

LineStretcher
12-30-2017, 07:27 AM
There are about 1/2 dozen or more ways to snell a hook. First things first though, never start your first wrap on the open side of the eye. That will almost always result in a failure. The true snell is frustrating to tie and doesn't work with trailer hooks so most revert to a method that requires less coordination. These are not nearly as strong as a true snell but most times they'll work if you remember the golden rule of never starting your first wrap on the open side of the eye.

If you're rigging trailer hooks and snelling both of them using one of the easy/quick methods, expect the trailer hook to be subject to breaking off since the line crosses over on the first hook and will often create a weak point. The front hook will hold but the trailer will sometimes break off.

Search the internet and you'll find several methods, try a few and when you find one that works, learn it well.

stefanoflo
12-30-2017, 09:16 AM
when i Make leaders which is Snelling in general. I first started with 6LBS Fluorocarbon and i do know fluorocarbon is thinner in Diameter than Plain Mono and is Invisible . Granted thinner Diameter means thinner line and easy to break off hooks . so I now go to an 8lbs -10 LBs leader Fluorocarbon Mainly because it is invisible in water and I have a stronger leader with out the line breaking
I been to Seminars that say Bump up your leader if you use Fluorocarbon because of it Invisibility , the fish won`t see the line even if you Bump it up 2-4 Lbs more than your Main line.
Works for me and I like it! I use a San Diego Knot that I really Like on Hooks and Swivels.
Egg Loop is also a great knot . if your using Eggs . or just a good snell knot Period!
Also Maxima Ultra green line Which is great Mono makes for great leader material and won`t break off if you use 6LBS for your leaders.

stefanoflo
12-30-2017, 05:17 PM
hers the Sandiego Jam

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM5fPi7VEyY

It has a extra back up section to the Knot encase it slips it will stay tied!!!
Great Easy Knot

SuperDave
12-30-2017, 05:29 PM
Tie some knots in a piece of the 6 lbs. line and yank real hard on both ends of the line. If it breaks anywhere other than the knot, you know you have some bad 6 lbs. line.

Fish-on
12-30-2017, 06:45 PM
What do you mean the open side of the eye?

Everytime the line breaks is right at the eye so maybe thatís my problem...????

nayr
12-30-2017, 08:16 PM
I think he was referring to where the eye closes.

LineStretcher
12-31-2017, 02:57 PM
I think he was referring to where the eye closes.Correct.

FresnoJack
01-01-2018, 02:06 PM
Try snelling with the knot-a-knot. There are no pinch point to cause a failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPI4rcDi1iE&index=9&list=PLjsbXU7UKSaMC7piJv6oFvhFVoa7-dCsD

Not sure if it is just me but it seems like every time I snell a hook with light # line it is not very strong. For example I have been tying leaders with 6# fluorocarbon and when I snell a hook it seems to break a lot easier than when I tie a clinch or polamar knot. When I use heavier leader like 10-12# I donít have a problem with the knots breaking and it is the knot that breaks. What gives ??

Fish-on
01-01-2018, 06:40 PM
I use the knotless knot like that video with heavier line 40#+ and have never had an issue with it but it seems to slide out on me with lighter lines. Guess I just need to practice more

tacedeous
01-02-2018, 06:25 PM
ive never needed spit to make a leader... interesting

mrmike130s
01-03-2018, 05:43 AM
I really like the improved Uni knot for thin line.
Threw the eyelet twice. Spreads out the surface load in the leader material.

https://youtu.be/u7Ckj-GYLks