PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Needles

iln143
01-04-2018, 03:41 PM
Is anyone fishing the Needles? The regs say its off limits but I was talking to Captain Ken and he said he talked to a ranger and was told that is land only. I also talked to Guy at Mark Four and he says he knows people are fishing it and no one has been given a citation. Okie and I stopped by the ranger office but he was out. All the secretary could do was show us the regs. Can anyone verify the info either way.

OYD
01-04-2018, 04:03 PM
See section 5 of the lake regulations for closed areas to boats. The needles are closed within 1000 feet. I doubt many fishermen pay attention, but that is the regulation.

Jetspray
01-04-2018, 04:34 PM
See section 5 of the lake regulations for closed areas to boats. The needles are closed within 1000 feet. I doubt many fishermen pay attention, but that is the regulation.It is what I understood as well, I have seen people cited for breaking many rules at Pyramid. You should see how close the float tube guys get to other fly fishermen at times, there is a rule about distances from those ladders (if un-occupied they are to be taken away from the water and not used as a marker for a "Spot"). Also have seen people try fishing from the docks......Jetspray

Captain Compassion
01-04-2018, 06:33 PM
Is anyone fishing the Needles? The regs say its off limits but I was talking to Captain Ken and he said he talked to a ranger and was told that is land only. I also talked to Guy at Mark Four and he says he knows people are fishing it and no one has been given a citation. Okie and I stopped by the ranger office but he was out. All the secretary could do was show us the regs. Can anyone verify the info either way.

As I recall it used to be 1,000 feet but it was reduced 250 feet.

Richard

okie
01-04-2018, 06:59 PM
As I recall it used to be 1,000 feet but it was reduced 250 feet.

Richard

when we went to the station, the lady showed me the regs from the book and it still showed 1000 ft from them. I wont take anyone's word until I get it from a ranger. Every time we
out I look for him because the last year we could fish through them it was great.
be safe

OYD
01-04-2018, 08:08 PM
See the attached with item 10 under fishing information. It is 1000 feet for the needles area as described. It used to be 1000 feet from shore for the whole area up there but with the higher water this year, some of the needles may be over 1000 feet from shore.

http://www.pyramidlake.us/pyramid-lake-fishing.html

Jetspray
01-05-2018, 06:12 AM
See the attached with item 10 under fishing information. It is 1000 feet for the needles area as described. It used to be 1000 feet from shore for the whole area up there but with the higher water this year, some of the needles may be over 1000 feet from shore.

http://www.pyramidlake.us/pyramid-lake-fishing.htmlI think I might need a range finder from Cabela's or something:captjack:.........Jetspray

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/optics/rangefinders/pc/104791680/c/104752080/sc/104525280/swarovski-el-range/1995841.uts?slotId=2

hooks
01-05-2018, 06:28 AM

That's where the confusion is Ivan. The regs say 1000 feet from the shoreline. 5.5 in the picture,

So you can get closer to the structures in the water.

iln143
01-05-2018, 07:35 AM
Thanks everyone for the info. I think part of the confusion for me is Captain Kens aledged conversation with the Ranger. I was hoping to find another person who either new one of the rangers or had a personal conversation with one to solidify Kens claim.

LineStretcher
01-05-2018, 08:40 AM
Thanks everyone for the info. I think part of the confusion for me is Captain Kens aledged conversation with the Ranger. I was hoping to find another person who either new one of the rangers or had a personal conversation with one to solidify Kens claim.

I know for a fact that if Ken said it happened that way, it damn sure did.

iln143
01-05-2018, 09:42 AM
Lets be clear. I am not questioning Kens word. I like Ken. I would just like a second verification after reading the regs. I don't think "Ken said" would hold up in court.

hooks
01-05-2018, 11:48 AM
Hi Donald,
To my understanding, as long as you are 1,000 feet away from the actual shoreline you're good. I know there are formations some distance from the main cluster of the Needles, but as long as they also are 1000 feet from the shoreline, you good.
Ranger Station Staff
file:///C:/Users/Donald/AppData/Local/Packages/microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/msohtmlclip/clip_image001.png
Sent: Friday, January 5, 2018 11:06 AM
To: Pyramid Lake Rangers
Subject: Needles shoreline

Hello,

There exists some confusion about the 1000’ from shoreline at the “needles”. Some of the structures there are some distance from the shoreline. Can we troll near and in between the structures that make up the “needles” while remaining 1000’ from shoreline or does the shoreline include all the structures there?

Thanks,

Don

iln143
01-05-2018, 05:41 PM
This was a great discussion! Thank you all for your input and P.M.s. Fish Sniffer is truly a great community and I am proud to be a part of it!

Jetspray
01-05-2018, 05:52 PM
This was a great discussion! Thank you all for your input and P.M.s. Fish Sniffer is truly a great community and I am proud to be a part of it!
You should come to the fests in October and April, great time, if you did maybe I missed you or I had old person's memory loss......Jetspray

iln143
01-06-2018, 12:16 AM
I will be at the fest in April. I just moved here in March of last year. I also plan on going to Collins fest. Retirement is good.

Jetspray
01-06-2018, 01:10 AM
I will be at the fest in April. I just moved here in March of last year. I also plan on going to Collins fest. Retirement is good.
Very cool, I retired in 2006 Oct, I was just 56 then, now I am 67 heading to 68 this year in Sept. It has all been good as my family all live close to me, and I do not have to travel great distances just to enjoy the holidays. Pyramid is 95 miles from my doorstep to Pelican beach:elephant::elephant::elephant::elephant::elep hant:..........Jetspray

LineStretcher
01-06-2018, 07:01 AM

Cool, I moved to Fernley in August and finally can say I am completely retired. I finally realized that the only way I was going to retire was if I moved far enough away from the things that kept pulling me back to work. Fernley is such a cool little town. However, I've only met one person that was actually born and raised here. A lot of people can't handle living in the high desert, but I love it.

iln143
01-06-2018, 08:51 AM
I live less than 30 minuets from Pyramid and fish it every week in season usually with Okie or Hooks or both. I would fish more but my wife might divorce me and I have become very attached to the other half of my stuff! :glee:

Jetspray
01-06-2018, 04:55 PM
I live less than 30 minuets from Pyramid and fish it every week in season usually with Okie or Hooks or both. I would fish more but my wife might divorce me and I have become very attached to the other half of my stuff! :glee:A bunch of the folks that used to show at the fests have moved on to other places, or just do not attend. There have been many changes of people over the years. I hope to see you there myself.......Jetspray