PDA

View Full Version : Camanche 1-5-18

TroutFishNAmador88
01-06-2018, 10:48 PM
Conditions were overcast skies. Periods of light rain starting in the early afternoon. Winds were light and variable. Minimal boat traffic. Trolled in the Narrows from 9am until 3:30pm. Eight trout and one bass! The action made up for the weather. Best day yet on Lake Camanche.

Bait that caught trout:

6 trout with Berkley PowerBait Floating Mice Tails 3” Glow/Orange Silver with a No. 6 hook flat-lining 30yds behind the boat. I slow trolled with 30lb electric motor alternating speeds 1 and 2. This bait got hot when the overcast skies moved in around noon. Best action I've seen fishing this bait.

1 trout and 1 bass with Nightcrawler on 3ft leader behind Seps Pro Dodger Silver UV slow trolling.

1 trout with Luhr-Jensen 2” Nickel Bikini Needlefish on 3ft leader behind a Seps SideKick Brass/Silver slow trolling. This was the largest trout of the day.

Bait that got hit, but did not hook:

Seps 3” Scented Grub Orange with White Powerball head. I started fishing the orange grubs when we ran low on mice tails. I tried to match the mice tail colors. I believed the orange and white color combination was hot. The 3” grub was a bit too big given the strikes without hookups. I didn't have orange grubs in 2”, a problem I will remedy on my next trip to the tackle shop.

Bait that didn't get hit:

Berkley 2” PowerGrub Natural Chartreuse with White PowerBall head, Berkley 2” PowerGrub Black with White PowerBall head, Seps 3” Scented Grub Brown Speck with White PowerBall head, Luhr-Jensen 2” Nickel Red Head Needlefish and Luhr-Jensen 2” Hot Shot Rainbow Trout.

DannyM
01-07-2018, 06:31 AM
Nice report. I was in the Narrows on Friday for 5 trout and 2 crappie.
Grubs and rapalas were the ticket. Same here, they preferred the 2inch
grubs over the 3 inch. White & firetiger were the ticket on grubs and
hot steel on the rapalas.

Waterdog
01-07-2018, 08:03 AM
Welcome to the boards. Excellent report. Thanks for sharing. We like pictures so if possible add some pics.

dilbeck
01-07-2018, 09:06 AM
Bait that caught trout:

6 trout with Berkley PowerBait Floating Mice Tails 3Ē Glow/Orange Silver with a No. 6 hook flat-lining 30yds behind the boat. I slow trolled with 30lb electric motor alternating speeds 1 and 2. This bait got hot when the overcast skies moved in around noon. Best action I've seen fishing this bait.

Great report and congrats on the success.

Question for you with trolling the Mice Tails - sounds like you just trolled them with nothing in front of it? If so, did it have any action? Seems like it would just be pulled in a straight line without action. Thanks for trying to help me understand as it sounds like this is a trick I need to add to the arsenal!!!

Again, congrats on the success.

bigfin
01-07-2018, 09:23 AM

Question for you with trolling the Mice Tails - sounds like you just trolled them with nothing in front of it? If so, did it have any action? Seems like it would just be pulled in a straight line without action. Thanks for trying to help me understand as it sounds like this is a trick I need to add to the arsenal!!!

Dilbeck from my experience pulling mice tails if you use like a thin wire say 6 or 8 mosquito hook and rig them thru the egg and into the worm say an 1/8 th of an inch , the back of the tail will move side to side but you just have to keep experimenting . Tightlines BF

dilbeck
01-07-2018, 10:03 AM
Dilbeck from my experience pulling mice tails if you use like a thin wire say 6 or 8 mosquito hook and rig them thru the egg and into the worm say an 1/8 th of an inch , the back of the tail will move side to side but you just have to keep experimenting . Tightlines BF

Thanks BF.

The latest thing I read in how to use them for bait fishing is to drop shot them similar to what bass guys do. Can't wait to give that a try. Along with trolling them. I have a TON of colors and don't think I've caught a single fish on them. Just need to build my confidence with them. The tails are SO long that it seems like they'd get short bit a bunch.

TroutFishNAmador88
01-07-2018, 10:32 AM

I use roughly a 2ft leader of 4lb fluorocarbon line with a no. 6 hook. I use a swivel to prevent line twist. I drift it out behind my 14' aluminum boat approximately 25 to 30 yds. I slowly troll in an S pattern alternating between speed 1 and 2 on a Minn Kota 30lb thrust electric trolling motor. I didn't use any flashers, dodgers, sidekicks, slipshot, etc. The only weight on the line was a small swivel. The Mice Tails float so I was concentrating on fishing just the top 10 ft of water. Your right. Not much action. The Mice Tail whips a little. Alternating my speed and course covers more surface area and speeds the bait up and slows it down in the turns. I hope this helps.

Waterdog
01-07-2018, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the info. What you are doing is obviously successful. For me I think Iíd try it with a Seps Sidekick. Seems like a sidekick would give it just a little more action and flash. If it didnít work then Iíd troll it naked like you are doing. Good stuff you are sharing.

dilbeck
01-07-2018, 07:13 PM
Good stuff TroutFishNAmador88. Appreciate it.

Thanks for the info. What you are doing is obviously successful. For me I think Iíd try it with a Seps Sidekick. Seems like a sidekick would give it just a little more action and flash. If it didnít work then Iíd troll it naked like you are doing. Good stuff you are sharing.

Yes, or maybe even a wiglefin would give it some action also.

TroutFishNAmador88
01-07-2018, 08:58 PM
...or maybe even a wiglefin would give it some action also.

That is a great tip. Thank you very much dilbeck. This is exactly why I decided to get involved with this forum. I never heard of Wiglefin. The Action Discs will definitely put some 'come and eat me' vibe on your bait. It looks like it will work well slow trolling. I ordered all three sizes and three packs of the stoppers. I can't wait to give them a try! Here is a video if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9fwDlcxsmM

blademoto
01-10-2018, 09:40 AM
Greetings!
I tooK a break from fishing and the sniffer for awhile. I wanted to add my two cents for what it is worth. Went out to Camanche on the 5th, and the week prior. Missed sunrise both times

I went out there blind without any intel both times. First time I trolled HAT to DYKE 6. I didnít see any fish until I got to the dyke. Found some fish 10-15 feet. Got three good stikes, two in boat. Both with watermelon dodger and gulp nightcrawlers, tan . Also caught one on a hot steel rapala as I was heading back. I trolled a lot of different rapalas and that was only hit .

The 5th I went out to narrows. Nothing and crowded. Keep going to bridge. Near and just past bridge, three good fish. All caught in gulp night crawlers, dark brown with chartrouse mixed in. Tried quite a few Rapalas , nothing.

Looks like grubs are the ticket now? Any locations better than others ? I noticed the fish all going down 40-50 feet, around 1030 or so. tried leadcore, nothing. Are they worth trying to get these or is the bite just off for the day?

QueenAnnesRevenge
01-10-2018, 10:04 AM
Greetings!
I tooK a break from fishing and the sniffer for awhile. I wanted to add my two cents for what it is worth. Went out to Camanche on the 5th, and the week prior. Missed sunrise both times

I went out there blind without any intel both times. First time I trolled HAT to DYKE 6. I didnít see any fish until I got to the dyke. Found some fish 10-15 feet. Got three good stikes, two in boat. Both with watermelon dodger and gulp nightcrawlers, tan . Also caught one on a hot steel rapala as I was heading back. I trolled a lot of different rapalas and that was only hit .

The 5th I went out to narrows. Nothing and crowded. Keep going to bridge. Near and just past bridge, three good fish. All caught in gulp night crawlers, dark brown with chartrouse mixed in. Tried quite a few Rapalas , nothing.

Looks like grubs are the ticket now? Any locations better than others ? I noticed the fish all going down 40-50 feet, around 1030 or so. tried leadcore, nothing. Are they worth trying to get these or is the bite just off for the day?Those marks at 40-50 are crappie and bass

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

blademoto
01-10-2018, 10:09 AM
That is a great tip. Thank you very much dilbeck. This is exactly why I decided to get involved with this forum. I never heard of Wiglefin. The Action Discs will definitely put some 'come and eat me' vibe on your bait. It looks like it will work well slow trolling. I ordered all three sizes and three packs of the stoppers. I can't wait to give them a try! Here is a video if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9fwDlcxsmM

Those look interesting! Let us know how it works ! Just picked up a few sidekicks .

dilbeck
01-10-2018, 02:50 PM
Greetings!
All caught in gulp night crawlers, dark brown with chartrouse mixed in.

I've had luck trolling those as well. Also had luck with the breen-orange color as well. Just wish they were a bit more durable.

dilbeck
01-10-2018, 02:53 PM

You are most welcome.

Another tip with the wiggle fins is that I use Eagle Claw bobber stops - the red and black rubber ones. Not the string version. I use them in the 2-4 pound test size and then used 6 pound leader. Less likely to slide. I had a friend who used the wiggle fin brand of bobber stops and they didn't hold very well.

https://www.outdoorproshop.com/Eagle-Claw-Bobber-Stop-p/eagleclaw-bobberstop.htm

TroutFishNAmador88
01-10-2018, 05:08 PM
Wiggler wasted no time shipping my Action Discs. Now I am stewing. I must get to the water!

Another tip with the wiggle fins is that I use Eagle Claw bobber stops - the red and black rubber ones. Not the string version.

Oh no dilbeck. I ordered 3 packs of these line stops. I hope I can get my use/money out of them. I generally use 3lb and 4lb fluorocarbon leaderline. I will let you know if they slide. Those Eagle Claw Bobber Stops are another great tip! These are the only bobber stops I've used:

That is only because they are castable. I picked this trick up in my early days whilst still paying my dues on the bank. I've never had a bout of creativity that led me to use a bobber stop on a trolling line until now. I guess I have always let a swivel do that job.

Hey, I am all ears. I love great fishing tips. Much appreciated.

fitz22
01-11-2018, 05:20 PM
I like to put a small bead between action disc and bobber stop donít have problem with stopper sliding. Play around with distance between disc and Bait it changes the action of the Bait quite a bit

blademoto
01-11-2018, 06:14 PM
Those marks at 40-50 are crappie and bass

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Well that is good to know! I will not hate catching either, but out for the trout!