PDA

View Full Version : Wild Turkeys

Harvester
01-09-2018, 03:31 AM
In only three weeks or so it will be time to get out and start scouting for Turkeys. Don't call much, if at all. If they are around they will let you know. Don't call at all if you have a small area to hunt. The turkeys are smart and if you call them in and blow it they will remember your calling when the season comes and they will be less likely to come to your calling when it go time. The birds make a lot of noise when the breeding season first begins (usually early in February). Be patient and just listen. They will let you know if they are there. A mixed flock of Turkeys makes a lot of noise. If you find them early in the breeding season there will be at least a few in the area when the hunting season starts. Good luck!

Waterdog
01-09-2018, 10:01 AM
Great information. Thanks for sharing.

CRABBY
01-09-2018, 02:26 PM
Those things are a total nuisance around here,I'd pop some but I don't care for all the dark meat, like that white breast .....:wink:

Waterdog
01-09-2018, 02:58 PM
2 years ago I got to hunt turkey for the first time on some private property outside placerville. My partner was good friends with the owner. The day before opening day the land owner took us all over the property showing us roosts, feeding areas, trails they use and on and on. He showed us a trail that 10 to 20 turkey use every day. Thatís where we set up. The property is loaded with turkeys. The next day we were cammoed up and ready to shoot some turkey. We didnít see a single turkey all day. We heard them and heard shots on surrounding properties but we didnít see even a turkey Feather.
Whats funny is the next day my wife and I went out to breakfast and there was several turkeys walking around the parking lot by my truck.

Seon
01-09-2018, 04:33 PM
There's about two or three dozens here how. I'd take a picture but it's raining too hard, don't want to get wet :happy:.

CRABBY
01-09-2018, 05:52 PM
2 years ago I got to hunt turkey for the first time on some private property outside placerville. My partner was good friends with the owner. The day before opening day the land owner took us all over the property showing us roosts, feeding areas, trails they use and on and on. He showed us a trail that 10 to 20 turkey use every day. Thatís where we set up. The property is loaded with turkeys. The next day we were cammoed up and ready to shoot some turkey. We didnít see a single turkey all day. We heard them and heard shots on surrounding properties but we didnít see even a turkey Feather.
Whats funny is the next day my wife and I went out to breakfast and there was several turkeys walking around the parking lot by my truck.LOL,yeah sometimes they don't cooperate.Had a couple members come up an hunt one season during archery season,they got limits day after day...I didn't let em come back again..Nice guys though.Stinkin deer are just as bad here,you'd think we were a dang wildlife preserve !!!! :krzyhunter4ez::turkydance1:

Harvester
01-09-2018, 08:01 PM
Hay Crabby, need any help with your problem birds? Drop me a line. LOL

Harvester
01-31-2018, 06:02 PM
It's time!

reeltor
02-01-2018, 05:34 PM
We have them all over the place here in Valley Springs. They do a good job of fertilizing but also leave a big mess on the sidewalk/driveway. I am still fascinated by their beauty and survivability, tho.

Reeltor

glennprox
04-05-2018, 11:18 PM
Let me see your hauls?

Harvester
04-27-2018, 04:45 PM
I have called jakes in every time I've hunted this season until last monday. The Tom had a 9.75" beard and these aharp hooked spurs.

https://www.facebook.com/matthew.t.perry.7/videos/10208983337099827/

https://www.facebook.com/matthew.t.perry.7/videos/10208983410261656/?t=7

Harvester
04-30-2018, 12:59 AM
Anybody else?