PDA

View Full Version : Lake Amador - Skunked

willrota
01-24-2018, 11:41 PM
Got skunked last weekend fishing the whole day out on Lake Amador from the bank. Fished towards the back of the campground in the AM and then over near the spill way in the PM and couldnt connect anything. Was switching out between Berkley powerbait and Zeke's Sierra Gold on a slip sinker setup, even tried some salmon eggs for a bit, but couldnt seem to get the fish to bite. Given the water level, at what depth from the bank are you targeting? maybe my leader line length was off?? I felt like I fished almost every part of the water column I could from the shore.

Jetspray
01-25-2018, 03:42 AM
This time of year the trout compete with other fish species in that lake. They work the bottom for leeches, snails, bugs, and occasional green stuff. It is why Chunky Chartreuse Gulp dough works good over here at Topaz. I usually have my bait suspended no more than 12 inches (short leader) above the weight, and put a bead between the weight and swivel on the line (so the swivel does not bury itself in the weight).........Jetspray

willrota
01-25-2018, 12:09 PM
This time of year the trout compete with other fish species in that lake. They work the bottom for leeches, snails, bugs, and occasional green stuff. It is why Chunky Chartreuse Gulp dough works good over here at Topaz. I usually have my bait suspended no more than 12 inches (short leader) above the weight, and put a bead between the weight and swivel on the line (so the swivel does not bury itself in the weight).........Jetspray

Appreciate the insight. My slip sinker setup is the exact same except I normally go somewhere between 12-24in. with the leader. It was funny, I was throwing 4lb test and only had a 6lb Fluoro leader in my tacklebag - had to make due. I have never used the the Gulp dough before, might need to add a container to the arsenal to have on hand.

Jfitalia
01-25-2018, 05:22 PM
Fish the top 10ft of the water column

CAL.NDN
01-25-2018, 05:35 PM
A 6' leader close to the bank will get you fish.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk