PDA

View Full Version : Collins Fest Update/Problems

Waterdog
01-31-2018, 04:04 PM
I drove to Collins lake today to scope it out for our fest. Glad I did , got some valuable information. First my impressions of the lake. I was only there once 25 years ago, didn’t remember a thing about it. I found it to be a nice well kept clean place. There is a zillion camp sites there but is limited on the number of camp sites on the water. The camp sites are nice well defined with a fire pit/ grill grate and a picnic table. The actual sites I visited were gravel , good for parking cars but not for setting up tents. Ok for parking a trailer or rv. Didn’t seem to be a lot of room for backing a truck and boat into the sites. There are group sites there but you have to pay for the group site up front and I don’t want to put the money out and then have to collect from all The attendees. Don’t want that hassle.
The lake is smaller than I thought , not a very big lake. Lake is down 15’ which is not a lot but is a little significant for a smaller lake. No idea where it will be in April.

Here is a major problem, the weekend of the fest there is the 8th Annual Collins Lake Family Fun Trout Fishing Derby. That means lots of people and boats on a small lake. I am sure camp sites will be reserved quickly. I was also told there are some kind of fishing derby weekends of 4/7, 4/20, 4/28(our fest) and 5/12.
For the reasons mentioned I am not as keen on a fest at Collins and on the date we planned.

Here are our options - 1) we can continue with our fest as planned. (I currently am borderline if I will participate or not in the Collins fest). 2) We can just cancel it. 3) We can select another site for the fest , same or different date. (The Delta stripper fishing is great end of April, Camanche has truck loads of big trout planted in it, there are lots of other lakes).

So lets have your comments, suggestions, ideas. We will make some decisions after ya all give some feed back.

Here are a couple pics I took of water front camp sites.

PapaGreg
01-31-2018, 04:59 PM
Thanks for checking and letting us know, definitely something to think about.

SteelyMan
01-31-2018, 06:09 PM
Glad you sniffed this out,, don't think i want to be in a crowded lake. Look elsewhere or cancel.

Whiskey Town ?? Trinity Lake ?? Berryessa ??

TroutFishNAmador88
01-31-2018, 07:40 PM
...Camanche has truck loads of big trout planted in it.

I fished Collins Lake years ago and it was just okay. It is what you said, a "little" lake. I know I'm a newbie to this board and I haven't even posted 25 times yet, but if you hold the event at Camanche then I am in. I will bring my teenager along. We participated in the Bear River Resort Tournament last year, our first fishing tournament, and ended up skunked. We need redemption. My daughter likes Camanche. She has been lucky there in the past and is always enthusiastic to engage in fishing strategy discussions about her favorite part of the lake which happens to be The Narrows.

Thank you for your efforts to bring fishing fun to so many good folks.

Kimochou
01-31-2018, 08:02 PM
Iíd be interested in Berryessa or Camanche. Lake Sonoma is closest to me and has camping and boat in camping. Never done either there but others may have some experience or input?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CrappieJed
01-31-2018, 09:32 PM
Thanks WaterDog for the info. I had an idea this would be the outcome. I never was knocked out with Collins. New Melones to me is the supreme lake. Still have some nice browns good rainbows and very nice kokes. Crappie can get very big. But striper derby really sounds like a blast. Lots room in rio vista camping launching etc.

Jfitalia
01-31-2018, 09:54 PM
I'd say move it to Comanche

Waterdog
02-02-2018, 08:37 AM
280+ views and only 5 comments/responses. Appears interest in a Collins fest or any fest has diminished. Should we not get a significant number of comments, suggestions, ideas , weíll just drop the whole fest idea. Not sure I want to continue organizing a fest but if enough people make suggestions and can come to a consensus where and when Iíll see what we can do.

Jetspray
02-02-2018, 08:55 AM
280+ views and only 5 comments/responses. Appears interest in a Collins fest or any fest has diminished. Should we not get a significant number of comments, suggestions, ideas , weíll just drop the whole fest idea. Not sure I want to continue organizing a fest but if enough people make suggestions and can come to a consensus where and when Iíll see what we can do.For me it is weather and time, that is my wife goes in for eye work next week and according to the outcome I may be here for a while. Might even have to miss the Pyramid Fest here too. Thing I know from the past is just to show up even if there is a low turnout you can get the ball rolling with some postings afterwards to show everyone what they missed. With today's economy I am sure that everyone in Califeenia is feeling the pinch, I'm just sayin"........Jetspray

Peepoe
02-03-2018, 11:07 AM
280+ views and only 5 comments/responses. Appears interest in a Collins fest or any fest has diminished. Should we not get a significant number of comments, suggestions, ideas , weíll just drop the whole fest idea. Not sure I want to continue organizing a fest but if enough people make suggestions and can come to a consensus where and when Iíll see what we can do.I was just waiting to see what you guys decided and see if I could make it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Waterdog
02-03-2018, 12:46 PM
Thanks Peepoe. Iím just not seeing the interest in any fest that we had when we started the idea of a Collins fest. As I said in my post Iím no longer jazzed about a Collins for the reasons I gave. That doesnít mean if people still wanted to go to Collins it wouldnít happen. Everyone who wants can still fest at Collins. If there was interest I was hoping there would be a lively discussion and someone would take the lead and settle on venue and date. Doesnít look like that is going to happen.
For me Iím thinking about going to either Camanche or the Delta on those dates and if people want to meet up there for an informal fest thatís fine. Iím leaning towards Camanche and the big and numerous trout but April Striper in the Delta should be hot.

CRABBY
02-03-2018, 01:40 PM
Hey Dawg,I gave up on fests years ago,back in the day (before 09 ?) they were real popular an members would flock to em.After the split things just went downhill.The camaraderie was gone an has never returned,a few 1 on 1 friendships have formed an a couple collins fests were good an some weren't.Fests pretty much have gone by the wayside,sometimes a lot of interest is generated but then most don't show for various reasons,the Pyramid fest for some reason has endured ....Just look up "sniffer fests" an take a look.It wasn't just us,I'm hooked an now finaddicts have also bombed out..People an priorities change....Plus who in their right mind would want to hang with me for a weekend,LOL..........:suesscat:

Waterdog
02-03-2018, 02:24 PM
You are right Don. I went to a couple Delta fests prior to 2009. They were great fun and great camaraderie but after the split things changed.
Id hang out with you Don at a fest. Well maybe not for a whole weekend that might be a little above and beyond anybodyís tolerance.:suesscat:

CRABBY
02-03-2018, 04:28 PM
You are right Don. I went to a couple Delta fests prior to 2009. They were great fun and great camaraderie but after the split things changed.
Id hang out with you Don at a fest. Well maybe not for a whole weekend that might be a little above and beyond anybodyís tolerance.:suesscat:LOL,my wife would agree with you.....:biggrin-new:

Jetspray
02-03-2018, 05:08 PM
I was just waiting to see what you guys decided and see if I could make it.

Fence sitting is tough, there were times and conditions that held me back from going to the fests at Pyramid. I made it as many times as I could under those conditions thinking it was just like any other fishing trip. Sometimes I got supplies at the last moment because things changed for the better, that is I would drive to my local WalMart with boat in tow and go in to get ice and supplies........Jetspray

Jetspray
02-03-2018, 05:12 PM
This is the year 2018 not 2008, new interest is always welcomed for a get together. It might be lonely or it could be crowded, just depends on timing and those that are able to pull themselves away to do something to remember.........Jetspray

Grncrestliner
02-04-2018, 05:23 AM
I am probably like a lot of others. I am interested in a fest at Camanche but I am not willing to promise anything yet.

Collins is easy for me and I wouldn't have to take camping gear and my boat. If I stay at Camanche I can either tow the travel trailer or my boat but not both. It is possible I could work out something with another member but not sure yet. I would probably just tow my boat and fish one day. I have to get up way too many times per night anymore to sleep in a tent. I want the convenience of indoor plumbing as I get older.

Kimochou
02-04-2018, 06:09 AM
It looks like there are quite a few group camping options at Camanche. And cheap! It looks like it would accommodate plenty of Vehicles, RVs, tent campers and boat trailers from the Google Maps satellite view but on the ground might be different. Lazybob lives near there and will check it out next week. If suitable at least that gives us options for future fests.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peepoe
02-04-2018, 07:44 PM
Fence sitting is tough, there were times and conditions that held me back from going to the fests at Pyramid. I made it as many times as I could under those conditions thinking it was just like any other fishing trip. Sometimes I got supplies at the last moment because things changed for the better, that is I would drive to my local WalMart with boat in tow and go in to get ice and supplies........JetsprayI figured as long as I get: my line wet, some camping with the family and campfire time to meet you guys, it didn't matter which lake we go to.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Brickinthewall98
02-04-2018, 08:03 PM
If itís a delta event Iíd be in...... truck trout vs striper? No brainer. Delta all the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okie
02-04-2018, 08:58 PM
didn't we used to have fests at brannon island? I think it was striper fests but its been so long ago
I don't remember. I know I enjoyed the 3 or 4 I attended, even caught a few nice ones.
be sfe

CrappieJed
02-04-2018, 09:30 PM
If itís a delta event Iíd be in...... truck trout vs striper? No brainer. Delta all the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
im with you we can catch trout anywhere but some good linesides are the best fun to catch and chance at a big one lots room too camp too. Iím all in for that. Collins Comanche few other lakes just donít grab my interest. New Melones, Berryessa
Don Pedro does.

Captain Compassion
02-04-2018, 09:31 PM
Pyramid fest endures because it's Pyramid and there is always good food and CHEESECAKE. :love-struck:

CC

Grncrestliner
02-05-2018, 03:00 PM
I was talking to another sniffer this weekend and asked him if he was interested in a potential Camanche fest. He said he had not seen any info on the forum about a potential Camanche fest. Maybe this should be restarted as a Camanche fest.??

Waterdog
02-05-2018, 03:25 PM
Iíd be interested in a fest at Camanche or most any where else. Problem is I have a lot going on right now and donít really have the time (or energy) to organize it. If someone else wants to step up and take charge Iíd provide whatever support, suggestions, ideas etc. that I can.
I like Camanche because itís a large lake, Iím very familiar with it and I usually catch fish there.
I also like the idea of a Delta striper Fest possibly at Brannon is. That location is central to almost everyone and I think a lot of people would be interested.

CrappieJed
02-05-2018, 09:15 PM
didn't we used to have fests at brannon island? I think it was striper fests but its been so long ago
I don't remember. I know I enjoyed the 3 or 4 I attended, even caught a few nice ones.
be sfe
Yeah okie it was Brannon island. Actually thatís where I met you long time ago

Waterdog
02-05-2018, 09:45 PM
Back in the day I went to 3 Delta fests. The best one I went to was at Brannon, we rented the group camp, must have had 40 or 50 sniffers there. Some how they got the great Mark Wilson to come by And give us a presentation on striper fishing techniques. Had a giant ďbombĒ fire. It was awesome.

CrappieJed
02-06-2018, 09:24 PM
Back in the day I went to 3 Delta fests. The best one I went to was at Brannon, we rented the group camp, must have had 40 or 50 sniffers there. Some how they got the great Mark Wilson to come by And give us a presentation on striper fishing techniques. Had a giant ďbombĒ fire. It was awesome.
I was there Dog I guess we didnít get chance to meet

Waterdog
02-07-2018, 07:17 AM
Hey Jed, I met a number of people there but itís been awhile and I just donít remember

Koke Machine83
02-07-2018, 08:25 AM
Kinda late to this thread, But Camanche would be a great Lake to have a Fest. There are plenty of camp site (Tents & Rv) at the South Shore Side. Plus if they have the fest early enough, The Pond would be great for those that can't get around to good. Also great for the Kids. The Lake is Planted with plenty of Nice Size Lassen Rainbows. Great for eating too... The Open water. out by the Dam - Big Hat - Little Hat and of course in the Narrows to the Bridge is great. I probably would show up for a Fest at Lake Camanche!!! Should also maybe start a thread on the Trout Board for this Event.

Until Next Time. Robbie (Koke Machine Guide Service)...

CRABBY
02-07-2018, 01:02 PM
Hey Jed, I met a number of people there but itís been awhile and I just donít rememberYou ol Farts always forget stuff.LOL

CRABBY
02-07-2018, 01:17 PM
Kinda late to this thread, But Camanche would be a great Lake to have a Fest. There are plenty of camp site (Tents & Rv) at the South Shore Side. Plus if they have the fest early enough, The Pond would be great for those that can't get around to good. Also great for the Kids. The Lake is Planted with plenty of Nice Size Lassen Rainbows. Great for eating too... The Open water. out by the Dam - Big Hat - Little Hat and of course in the Narrows to the Bridge is great. I probably would show up for a Fest at Lake Camanche!!! Should also maybe start a thread on the Trout Board for this Event.

Until Next Time. Robbie (Koke Machine Guide Service)...This would be a Dynamite Fest if Robbie would/could attend it.All of you Trout an Koke trollers can get one heck of an education from The best!!! (Cept me,an I'm retired,lol)
This is the best opportunity I've seen on this site in many,many years...JMO of course....:glee:

Waterdog
02-07-2018, 03:34 PM
What CRABBY says x2. Iím all for a Camanche fest for the dates we were going to have the Collins fest 4/27 to 4/29. Camanche has it all- a large lake, lots of fish Trout, bass, crappie, catfish, great camp sites, South Shore pond and more. Having Robbie the master there would be the icing on the cake. Those dates would also be before the skiers and lake lice show up in numbers.
I have a lot going on over the next couple weeks. If someone wants to start this and get the ball rolling , just do it. Iíd be happy to help out or even take over in a couple weeks. Itís not hard, someone take the initiative, step up, come on letís do this.

CrappieJed
02-07-2018, 08:58 PM

Until Next Time. Robbie (Koke Machine Guide Service)...
Honestly I have nothing against Comanche lake except that lake sucked on trout fishing but the catfishing at night from shore was fantastic. But hereís the thing this was back 1986 to 1993 when I lived in pioneer. I would come down the mountain to fish when bear river res, caples and silver lakes were froze over. I tried few times for trout but it was bad so I got bad taste in my mouth about Comanche. But when I fished New Melones I would limit out every time and big trout too so I loved that lake. Still to this day I do really good at new Melones. Perhaps back those years ago Comanche wasnít good for a reason. It maybe good now, I guess.

Waterdog
02-07-2018, 09:48 PM
Jed, once you get it dialed in trout fishing for big trout at Camanche is fabulous. It has become my go to lake for big and plentiful trout. Also in the spring you can catch huge crappie there. The largest crappie I ever caught was at Camanche.

CrappieJed
02-08-2018, 05:35 PM
Jed, once you get it dialed in trout fishing for big trout at Camanche is fabulous. It has become my go to lake for big and plentiful trout. Also in the spring you can catch huge crappie there. The largest crappie I ever caught was at Camanche.
Well WD if you say it so, good enough for me. Iím all in!