PDA

View Full Version : Shasta Info

Reaper
02-03-2018, 01:36 PM
I am planning on heading up to Shasta next week to try and get into some nice trout. I have fished Shasta in the Summer and Fall, but never the winter. I heard that the bite in February can be great. Does anyone have any info that they would be willing to share? Appreciate it

Mac47
02-03-2018, 02:06 PM
Tom
I have fished the lake with great success a month later in March.
Typically looking for Shad. We work the points pretty good by toplining lures in close. I am sure there are others who will chime in and give their knowledge.
Stop by Philís Props in Redding, they are helpful with current conditions and reports.
Mac

Mikfish
02-06-2018, 03:07 PM
I am planning on heading up to Shasta next week to try and get into some nice trout. I have fished Shasta in the Summer and Fall, but never the winter. I heard that the bite in February can be great. Does anyone have any info that they would be willing to share? Appreciate itNot great for rainbows this winter, this time last winter was fantastic for hefty bows off the shoreline. Don't know where they went.. still searching. Very different weather this year from last. Current water temp is about 52. Last winter was 46-48. You're better off searching for browns on the Mcloud. Can be tricky with the humps and valleys, but hover your bait over the bottom in about 50' of water. This one came on a black & white optimizer spoon on Sunday. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180206/f92a5e4b4c22f276673995f16d26e66a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reaper
02-06-2018, 07:14 PM
Thanks Mikfish. Just canít decide if I want to give shasta a shot or continue fishing Berryessa. I have been following Jeff Goodwens fishing reports from Shasta, and it appears heís getting into some trout. Itís a toss up! Thanks for the advice

Mikfish
02-06-2018, 08:03 PM
Thanks Mikfish. Just canít decide if I want to give shasta a shot or continue fishing Berryessa. I have been following Jeff Goodwens fishing reports from Shasta, and it appears heís getting into some trout. Itís a toss up! Thanks for the adviceJeff has been getting into some nice bows as well as browns on Keswick. Not sure if you're familiar with Keswick. You take 299 east just out of Redding. Gotta be careful in there with prop boats. Lot of submerged boulders up below shasta dam. But smooth sailing on further down.

Whiskeytown is another option if you're into kokanee. Fishing pretty good right now near the Dam.

Shasta is great for recent planters up near lakehead. Centamudi near the Dam also recent planters. The holdovers have been scarce for me lately. Somebody else might chime in where they're getting them. It's a big lake so it's takes some doing to zone in on them. Every year they seem to congregate in different locations. I've been targeting browns on the Mcloud arm, not picking up many bows there.

Berryessa is certainly hot for trout, good reports coming out of there. I certainly wouldn't leave fish to find fish. May as well keep doing your thing there.

Mikfish
02-07-2018, 09:17 AM
Keswick reservoir report from Jeff Goodwin...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/870147829825234/permalink/870754913097859/