PDA

View Full Version : What Happened? Rod Broke!

MtnFisher
02-26-2018, 12:49 PM
I have a 7' Fenwick HMG Ultralight spinning rod I purchased 2 yrs ago. I always pack it in a fleece sock and rod tube. Anyhow I set it up last Sat on the bank when I reached my spot and started casting a 1/10oz plug. Line was Pline CX in 6lb and a 20" 8lb Seaguar leader with SPro swivel.

After about a dozen casts I cast again and hear a pop followed by my lure hitting the water. I set my pole down and hastily waded out there looking for my lure. No sign of it so returned to the bank. At first I thought my knot gave out but was dumbfounded to find my rod guide tip was missing! I reached up and touched the remaining rod tip and that portion of the rod fell off into the water, it had broken at the top of the nearest guide below the rod tip.

So my question is why did it break in 2 places at and near the tip while casting? I never high sticked this rod nor bumped it to my knowledge.

For warranty purposes would this be considered an accident or defect?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

burninfuel
02-26-2018, 03:24 PM
splice for leader, was it a barrel swivel to keep from twisting your line and it went into the first guides ???

MtnFisher
02-26-2018, 03:38 PM
splice for leader, was it a barrel swivel to keep from twisting your line and it went into the first guides ???I was using a tiny SPro swivel, much smaller than the guide tip. Maybe it got tangled up around the tip?

This was a first for me and major letdown.

burninfuel
02-26-2018, 04:29 PM
www.fenwickfishing.com/Fenwick-warranty.html

Fenwick Warranty "Get Your Fenwick Fishing Program". Our commitment at Fenwick is to you, the angler. That is why we have created the "get your Fenwick fishing" program to get you back on the water faster. We apologize for the inconvenience of a broken rod and are committed to get you fishing again.

Customer Service - Fenwick (http://www.fenwickfishing.com/Fenwick-customer-service.html)
Sounds like they want your business, google it and send it off

bish0p
02-26-2018, 05:02 PM
Did the plug strike the rod during the cast?
The tip top can loosen if the epoxy holding the tip is heat sensitive. It can happen when the rod is stored in a hot car.

MtnFisher
02-26-2018, 07:55 PM
The plug never hit the rod tip and the rod has never been stored hot.

Fenwick's warranty program requires sending the rod back (about $20) and then they determine if it was a defect. A bass fishing buddy friend told me most rod manufacturers consider rod tip breakage an accident. The rod replacement program offers a 45% discount so a new one would cost me an additional $55 (new HMG is $99.95). So I am out $75 to replace the rod thru Fenwick.

Its really a gamble to ship to them for $20 just to have them say sorry it was not a defect.

I might just replace the rod tip and fish it or use as a backup rod. Seems their ultralight rods are not very durable. This rod had not been fished much at all.

Wife says to just fix it and buy another rod.

Kimochou
02-27-2018, 06:36 AM
My experience with Fenwick’s warranty has always been excellent. Send it in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MtnFisher
02-27-2018, 09:55 AM
My experience with Fenwick’s warranty has always been excellent. Send it in.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkThank you! Your response prompted me to call Fenwick, they will replace the rod!

Jetspray
02-27-2018, 07:30 PM
Thank you! Your response prompted me to call Fenwick, they will replace the rod!
In the future my only suggestion is not to let the swivel go through your eyelets. Those Spro's are very strong and as your line goes out in a supersonic type speed it is like shooting a 22 at your eyelet. I'm just sayin'..........Jetspray

Kimochou
02-27-2018, 07:49 PM
Thank you! Your response prompted me to call Fenwick, they will replace the rod!

Glad to hear it! They used to be located in Huntington Beach and I lived down the street. Not that I broke a bunch of rods but when I did, I’d just walk to their warranty door and they would hand me a new one. If discontinued, you get the next higher replacement model. I miss my old Iron Feather which I gave to a friend in Hawaii when I moved to the Bay Area....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MtnFisher
02-28-2018, 08:53 PM
In the future my only suggestion is not to let the swivel go through your eyelets. Those Spro's are very strong and as your line goes out in a supersonic type speed it is like shooting a 22 at your eyelet. I'm just sayin'..........JetsprayJetspray,

I was giving enough slack so the SPro swivel was clear of the tip and guides. Those SPros can damage the guide insert if casting them thru the guides. The line I was using was giving me some twist issues, I think maybe it wrapped around the tip just as I was raising the rod back to cast and I did not see it. I remember the tip was missing right after the mishap.

I had issues with this line the week before and had respooled and applied line conditioner. Again it gave me issues. Anyhow I ordered some new 6lb for this setup in a different brand.

Jetspray
03-03-2018, 05:38 AM
Jetspray,

I was giving enough slack so the SPro swivel was clear of the tip and guides. Those SPros can damage the guide insert if casting them thru the guides. The line I was using was giving me some twist issues, I think maybe it wrapped around the tip just as I was raising the rod back to cast and I did not see it. I remember the tip was missing right after the mishap.

I had issues with this line the week before and had respooled and applied line conditioner. Again it gave me issues. Anyhow I ordered some new 6lb for this setup in a different brand.
I use mostly braided line, I caught a 5 lb'er on 8 lb Nanofil (which is about 2lb size normal line) with no problem. My main problem is the smaller the Spro's are the more I have trouble seeing them or controlling the eyelet because it spins so easily. My glasses are just good for so much. I have a pair of Dial Vision glasses, maybe I will stick them in my gear box.........Jetspray

Mr.Fletcher
03-08-2018, 09:57 AM
Jetspray,

I think you're probably right. I had a fenwick break from line wrapped around the tip. saw it mid way thru the cast, but it was too late. it too was an ultralite. fenwick was great about it. no questions asked, sent a newer model to replace it, no charge.

MtnFisher
03-29-2018, 12:58 PM
Update: I sent the broken HMG rod to Fenwick about a month ago and received an email a few days ago stating they would replace the rod. I did have to resend in my proof of purchase. They stated they would not have my replacement rod in stock until May 1st and offered me any other model of rod from the HMG series. I chose the 7'6 HMG 2pc model in light action and stated I would be willing to wait. This rod would still be good for casting light lures for trout and I prefer a 2pc since I pack my rods in a rod tube. I already have shorter 5'6 and 6' ultralight rods for creek or kayak fishing.

Looking forward to my new light action HMG rod, it should be a great backup rod to my Okuma 8ft Guide Select Trout rod.

Mr.Fletcher
04-08-2018, 10:35 PM
Update: I sent the broken HMG rod to Fenwick about a month ago and received an email a few days ago stating they would replace the rod. I did have to resend in my proof of purchase. They stated they would not have my replacement rod in stock until May 1st and offered me any other model of rod from the HMG series. I chose the 7'6 HMG 2pc model in light action and stated I would be willing to wait. This rod would still be good for casting light lures for trout and I prefer a 2pc since I pack my rods in a rod tube. I already have shorter 5'6 and 6' ultralight rods for creek or kayak fishing.

Looking forward to my new light action HMG rod, it should be a great backup rod to my Okuma 8ft Guide Select Trout rod.

right on! good to hear they still have a customer first attitude. that's getting harder and harder to find these days. their rods are still a good value, even more so with customer service like that. thanks for the update mtn!

fishwrong2
04-09-2018, 09:00 AM
Ultra light graphite rods were born to break. By definition, sensitivity is stiffness divided by weight. Graphite is light and stiff, and stiff is brittle / unforgiving. No offense to those who don't clip the rod tip with retrieved baits, swivels, ding them on rock, door hinges or have them get hot. Regardless how careful you are, they do get dinged up, even if just in the shipping and sales process. Those small irregularities cause stress concentration, and it doesn't take much to snap when the tolerances are so small. Think the old press down on a soda can, then dent one side trick, only with stuff that's much smaller and more brittle.

Sure is frustrating to have a nice rod break, and I'm glad they replaced it. Stories like those go a long ways towards customer loyalty, which a company should strive for. I just imagine all the stories and messes they get back and have to chuckle.

Glad all worked out.