PDA

View Full Version : Moccasin Creek Fish Hatchery Flooded

MtnFisher
03-22-2018, 04:01 PM
Looks pretty bad, all the raceways and holding pens are under red-brown water. The hatchery staff and their families were evacuated. The dam is holding up but might collapse. Obviously, this will have a negative effect on future trout plants for awhile.

Oh well, CDFW's small minnow like planters were mostly bass food anyways.

To all the bass living in Lake Don Pedro: Eat well my friends!

http://fox40.com/2018/03/22/fish-hatchery-below-moccasin-dam-floods/

https://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/357824/emergency-alert-moccasin-dam-in-danger-of-failing.html

(https://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/357824/emergency-alert-moccasin-dam-in-danger-of-failing.html)https://twitter.com/TuolumneSheriff

https://tribfox40.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/moccasinfailure2.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&w=960
https://s3-media2.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/Jx0IJWBjYaAnAM9dP0gPzA/o.jpg
(https://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/357824/emergency-alert-moccasin-dam-in-danger-of-failing.html)

phishndad
03-22-2018, 06:51 PM
Sad to see. Wont hurt my season much as I'm not a fan of truck trout anyways, But, this will effect a few of the family trips we take each summer. The kids like fishing for planters at the pay campsites.

ticket
03-22-2018, 07:20 PM
atleast 65000 browns went to nm back in jan.

Captain Compassion
03-22-2018, 07:26 PM
I believe that this has happened before a few years back. Lots of Browns into NM.

CC

dilbeck
03-22-2018, 08:50 PM
mess of an operation that fish and wildlife is

Can’t they do anything right???????

Can surely thank brown for this when the frogs aren’t even coming back! “No trout plants because some stupid A$$ frog!!”

What?

How is this CDFW's fault?

And please help me connect the dots with this incident and the frog issue from 10 years ago.

Dan Clark
03-23-2018, 07:28 AM
A tragedy for sure, going to be a while for that hatchery to get back in operation. Only upside is the fish that survived are swimming in lake don pedro. Should be interesting the next couple of years, time will tell.

Dan

bigfin
03-23-2018, 05:30 PM
#JAILBREAK - FREEBIRDS :9997dp::wow_2:

CrappieJed
03-23-2018, 08:16 PM
When what where and why?

stefanoflo
03-24-2018, 08:43 PM
i`m thinking more fish Died than swamp into Don Pedro!!!
In that Dirt Brown sediment water. Can`t be many that survived. Gills would be clogged with crap!!!
You would thing an emergence plan would of been in affect??Less trout Plants for those that are planning on getting the fish!!!

RideNfish
03-25-2018, 11:30 AM
Most fish would die just in the debris clogged up on the chain link fence. I'm sure some are still there in back eddies wherever they could find a break from the current as well.

Seeforellen
03-25-2018, 08:20 PM
They plant brown trout?

ticket
03-26-2018, 08:01 AM
yes they do if you go to their web site it said that's what they raise triplode rainbows and browns 3 plants in jan. my son called them in jan to conferm the plants 65100 10-17 per lb.

Seeforellen
03-26-2018, 08:03 AM
Wish those 65,000 went into Mammoth Pool instead!

fishwrong2
03-26-2018, 08:27 AM
The planning, hard work and dedication of the of Monday morning quarter back crowd is amazing. If the "Can't they do anything right?" folks are so damn good at predicting disaster, maybe they can up the predictions by a few days.... or maybe just pick up a shovel and help....

Captain Compassion
03-26-2018, 10:55 AM
From CDFW
California Department of Fish and Wildlife

Some good news to report from Moccasin Creek Hatchery in Tuolumne County. Officials granted CDFW a small window of time to return to the flooded hatchery Friday evening. Unsure what they would discover after being forced to evacuate Thursday, CDFW found a surprising number of trout alive in the raceway ponds– raceways that had become muddy, choked with debris, and without fresh water to keep the trout alive much longer. CDFW staff worked all Friday night and into early Saturday morning rescuing as many trout as possible and moving them to nearby Don Pedro Reservoir. CDFW crews saved about 39,000 pounds of trout – almost a quarter of the hatchery’s pre-flood numbers.

Many feared a total loss of the 1.4 million fish – mostly rainbow trout – when last week’s storms caused Moccasin Creek Reservoir to overflow its dam, inundate our fish hatchery below it and force CDFW’s evacuation. Our nine employees and their families who live at or near the hatchery got some more good news when they were able to check on their homes and find most of the contents and their personal belongings undamaged. The evacuation order has since been lifted, and CDFW will begin what looks to be a long process to repair the hatchery and get it running again. We are grateful for the safety of our employees and the surrounding community. And we are yet again awed and inspired by the bravery and commitment of our colleagues in a crisis.

CC

FresnoJack
03-26-2018, 12:00 PM
The frog issues goes back at least 30 years.

Anyone else remember "acid rain" ? This was said to be the cause, generating chemical changes to the waters.

What?

How is this CDFW's fault?

And please help me connect the dots with this incident and the frog issue from 10 years ago.

Dan Clark
03-26-2018, 12:49 PM
Kudos for sure to Jason and his crew at the hatchery. Those trout that are able to hold over will provide really good fishing for the next year or two.

Dan

stefanoflo
03-26-2018, 04:04 PM
yes they do if you go to their web site it said that's what they raise triplode rainbows and browns 3 plants in jan. my son called them in jan to conferm the plants 65100 10-17 per lb.

So if they are still Planting Brown Trout . why are some lakes and river not getting those plants I was told and by some Guides that in the state they stopped Planting Browns such was the case in Melones a few years back.
Conflicting Reports if you ask me .but Then again Its California!!!!

Seeforellen
03-26-2018, 05:11 PM
Yes my point exactly! Given my handle I wish this species was bolstered in lakes where they are already

Captain Compassion
03-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Yes my point exactly! Given my handle I wish this species was bolstered in lakes where they are already

I had never heard of Seeforellen Brown Trout. Looked them up. They come from Germany. Like living in lakes. Live up to 14 years and grow quite big. There are some in the Great Lakes. Sure could use some of them in Tahoe.

CC

fishwrong2
03-27-2018, 01:12 PM
So if they are still Planting Brown Trout . why are some lakes and river not getting those plants I was told and by some Guides that in the state they stopped Planting Browns such was the case in Melones a few years back.
Conflicting Reports if you ask me .but Then again Its California!!!!

Here's a link to the California Trout Planting plan. It shows the planned stocking strategy by County, lake, species and size.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=74004&inline

Check out page 10. Fingerling browns were planted in New Melones and Don Pedro in January this year (and last). Closer to me, they keep putting brown fingerlings in Silver, Caples, Sly Park, Ice House, Stumpy Meadows, Hell Hole, and Bear River.

Who'd have thunk it.... Even the "California Morons" were able to publish helpful information in a convenient and conspicuous location..... Then again, I'm sure this is still confusing to the drunk guy at the end of the bar, whining about how "They can't do anything right...."

Captain Compassion
03-27-2018, 03:51 PM
Very informative. Thank you.

CC

Seeforellen
03-27-2018, 05:25 PM
How would one go about lobbying for some fingerlings Or sub catchable’s of the brown persuasion on their pet lakeI wonder?

QueenAnnesRevenge
03-27-2018, 05:37 PM
How would one go about lobbying for some fingerlings Or sub catchable’s of the brown persuasion on their pet lakeI wonder?Call trout unlimited ?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk