PDA

View Full Version : Leader vs Ball swivel for trout trolling

EddieTee
03-31-2018, 03:38 PM
Hi fellow fishermen, I was wondering why would someone use a 3' leader over a Ball Swivel hooked on the end of a line. I know if your using a dodger for some action on a lure that would help with a leader tied on but some lure's like Speedy Shiners Rapala's , cast masters and others i wouldn't think you would use one. thoughts?:sherlock:

El Hombre
03-31-2018, 04:35 PM
I run swivels with Speedy Shiners on a about a three foot leader to try and keep the twists down. That's the way dad always did it so I figure why mess with success. :fishing1:

Snowtrout
03-31-2018, 04:53 PM
If using a spinner or spinning spoon, a swivel up the line along with one on the terminal end can provide extra security in preventing line twist. Could one use a high quality ball bearing swivel with snap instead? Sure but many anglers are not going to spend the extra money when barrel swivels are so inexpensive and work in their mind. Years ago when I first tried trolling for salmon, learned a lesson about cheap swivels while using a Silvertron spinner.......huge twisted mess of line. :grief:

For non spinning lures, snap only for me.

Jetspray
03-31-2018, 06:45 PM
I use Spro swivels with duo loc type holders. Changing things while moving is much easier with this. Spro's can be very small with a high weight count before breakage and duo loc's hold things better.......Jetspray

MtnFisher
04-01-2018, 07:21 AM
I use Spro swivels with duo loc type holders. Changing things while moving is much easier with this. Spro's can be very small with a high weight count before breakage and duo loc's hold things better.......JetsprayI'm in the same camp as Jetspray for fishing spinners, spoons and plugs. The duo loc type snaps are very light and don't inhibit lure action while a spro swivel a couple feet up help manage line twist.

I don't trust the cheap barrel type swivels, most don't even have a weight limit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

EddieTee
04-01-2018, 07:32 AM
But doesn't a good Ball swivel eliminate line twist and therefore no need for a leader?

Mikfish
04-01-2018, 08:26 AM
But doesn't a good Ball swivel eliminate line twist and therefore no need for a leader?What Jetspay said... Just one Spro swivel with a duo-lock for spoons and plugs.. or any non-rotating lure. I've reeled in spoons from 200' out really fast with zero line twists. That's how good the Spro swivels are. I wouldn't attempt that with conventional barrel swivels. For rotating lures like spinners, a leader with another spro swivel is just added insurance.. and the top swivel (preferably 50lb size) is small enough you can reel it through your top guide to get the fish closer to the net.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jetspray
04-01-2018, 09:53 AM
But doesn't a good Ball swivel eliminate line twist and therefore no need for a leader?Even some "good" ball swivels have no listed weight pulls, their manufacturer does not supply that info. But Spro's do give weight limits and are tested. They are more expensive, but you pay for what you get........Jetspray

https://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/terminal-tackle/swivels-snaps-clevises/pc/104793480/c/104779980/sc/104616180/spro-power-swivels-black/742874.uts?slotId=11

Twofish
04-01-2018, 03:10 PM
I've been fishing my whole life and I don't think I've ever heard the term "ball swivel."

Mikfish
04-01-2018, 05:07 PM
I've been fishing my whole life and I don't think I've ever heard the term "ball swivel."I haven't either. I'm assuming it's short for ball bearing? Or is it more like a ball joint? I don't know. Have not seen anyone advertise a "ball swivel"

EddieTee
04-01-2018, 05:07 PM
Thank everyone for your time for responding to my post. Iv'e been using Big Daddy "Select" ball bearing swivels for some time now and will switch over to the Spro Swivels Duo-Lock next purchase. thanks again

toomanyhobbies
04-01-2018, 05:16 PM
As others have mentioned that duo lock and a swivel is key. I've learned plenty the hard way and the more mechanical thing's that allow unspooled line to twist is the best way IIMHO. You can twist the hell out of your line without using them. Well worth the effort and expense. The duo locks make switching setups super easy.

Jetspray
04-01-2018, 05:33 PM
I haven't either. I'm assuming it's short for ball bearing? Or is it more like a ball joint? I don't know. Have not seen anyone advertise a "ball swivel"
You are correct but the reference of the "ball" is usually the center mass. I have heard it used many times and usually it is of the brass type that everyone sells, guess where they are made and you would probably be right:nevreness:.........Jetspray

Jetspray
04-01-2018, 05:43 PM
As others have mentioned that duo lock and a swivel is key. I've learned plenty the hard way and the more mechanical thing's that allow unspooled line to twist is the best way IIMHO. You can twist the hell out of your line without using them. Well worth the effort and expense. The duo locks make switching setups super easy.When I troll I hang lures on my magnetic plates I have on the gunnels, they can hold easily 100 lures, but I never have that many out. The thing about the magnetic hangers is they just don't let go unless you get careless and swing too close to where they are. I do not have much bouncing on the floor other than a flopping fish.......Jetspray

PS this is similar but not in stock, I do know they are out there

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/th-marine-lure-hanger-kit-magnetic-tackle-system/?gdffi=facc80a89aaa41289ca25f0e582c289c&gdfms=6CE32CE5B20343AAB1BA7D8EB9692EF0

toomanyhobbies
04-02-2018, 07:34 AM
When I troll I hang lures on my magnetic plates I have on the gunnels, they can hold easily 100 lures, but I never have that many out. The thing about the magnetic hangers is they just don't let go unless you get careless and swing too close to where they are. I do not have much bouncing on the floor other than a flopping fish.......Jetspray

PS this is similar but not in stock, I do know they are out there

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/th-marine-lure-hanger-kit-magnetic-tackle-system/?gdffi=facc80a89aaa41289ca25f0e582c289c&gdfms=6CE32CE5B20343AAB1BA7D8EB9692EF0

I love that! Never seen one but i'll be adding on to the boat in short order.

MtnFisher
04-02-2018, 08:56 AM
Another good swivel is the micro swivel by Raven. I've been using these tiny swivels for stream fishing and they perform like the spros but cost less.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jetspray
04-03-2018, 01:40 PM
I love that! Never seen one but i'll be adding on to the boat in short order.If you start looking for them there are models that are sold by other outfitters that work for tunes as well. They hold metal type tools, knives, or any other metal. Most of them have rare earth type magnets and are very strong, you can hang up to 3 lures per button, I have found that it is a little busy when you do that. I have an aluminum boat so I needed to drill holes along the gunnels and put them up with rivets. I did buy a metal panel with some so that I could put larger lures in by moving the magnetic rails up and down. I had to rough up the surface of the rails as well as the plate to make the surface a little rougher to hold them in place while I move the boat at high speed (jet boats rock). Not a complaint but just a suggestion. The thing I like most about them is that I no longer hang lures on my boat from the lower shelves and they no longer end up under my toes or get cast around with a flopping fish in a net:happy:........Jetspray

Chrisj13
04-06-2018, 07:05 PM
I like the snap links...makes switching lures out fast and simple, especially in the confined cockpit of a kayak.

Mikfish
04-06-2018, 08:09 PM
Another good swivel is the micro swivel by Raven. I've been using these tiny swivels for stream fishing and they perform like the spros but cost less.

Sent from my SM-G930V using TapatalkThat's good to know. I believe Pline makes something similar as well. Not sure of cost though. I have no problems paying for quality swivels and hooks! These things can and will make or break your day on the water.

Jetspray
04-07-2018, 03:45 AM
That's good to know. I believe Pline makes something similar as well. Not sure of cost though. I have no problems paying for quality swivels and hooks! These things can and will make or break your day on the water.

Kind of hit the nail on the head, go cheap and you weep........Jetspray

gfishes
04-07-2018, 03:01 PM
Hi fellow fishermen, I was wondering why would someone use a 3' leader over a Ball Swivel hooked on the end of a line. I know if your using a dodger for some action on a lure that would help with a leader tied on but some lure's like Speedy Shiners Rapala's , cast masters and others i wouldn't think you would use one. thoughts?:sherlock:

I use the tiny Spro swivel when I attach leader to leadcore....works great.