PDA

View Full Version : Anyone catch any "interesting" trout at don pedro lately?

phishndad
04-05-2018, 05:57 PM
After the emergency plant from the hatchery I was wondering if anyone on here has had any interesting catches from pedro yet? I heard the hatchery had rainbows, brooks, browns, cutts, and even goldens! I did see one post on another group that I'm in where someone had caught a brookie a couple days ago. I wonder who will be the first to catch a golden from there!

Sutter Creek
04-05-2018, 06:16 PM
Interesting.

dilbeck
04-06-2018, 08:10 AM
When I toured the Moccasin hatchery last summer, the cutthroat and goldens were in the larger, taller, circular holding pens. Think they're about 8 feet tall and so it's possible they were not affected like the rainbows in the shallow, long, cement raceways.

Could be wrong but just a thought.

sollimes
04-06-2018, 10:08 AM
Yes, we kaught rainbows and brooks but no brown or golden.

Slvrsides
04-06-2018, 08:35 PM
LOTS of rainbows and a few brookies here as well...think my boy and I put over 30 in the boat in a matter of 3-4 hours last weekend..biggest was 16"...far cry from what we had been pulling outta Melonies over the winter(nice big square tailed fish)but action packed none the less..no browns or goldens tho...not thinking those little golden trout would last too long in there if they did make it...lot of big mouthed hungry fish in Pedro!!

phishndad
04-07-2018, 03:22 AM
I wonder if the brook trout population will take hold in pedro and naturally reproduce? Not sure if it is cool enough for them to survive the summer though

MtnFisher
04-07-2018, 07:03 AM
I wonder if the brook trout population will take hold in pedro and naturally reproduce? Not sure if it is cool enough for them to survive the summer though

I doubt it due to the elevation and hot summers. Back in the 70s, DF&G was stocking brookies everywhere it seems including the foothill reservoirs. A gold triple teaser and split shot slayed many a hatchery brookie. I caught many a limit of them in local lakes and rivers including Don Pedro at Moccasin. Then they switched back to stocking rainbows and the brookies disappeared.

Brookies seem to thrive at higher elevations in lakes above 7000ft. I have caught a few small wild brookies in creeks as low as 5000ft but it was rare at these lower elevations.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MtnFisher
04-07-2018, 07:23 AM
When I toured the Moccasin hatchery last summer, the cutthroat and goldens were in the larger, taller, circular holding pens. Think they're about 8 feet tall and so it's possible they were not affected like the rainbows in the shallow, long, cement raceways.

Could be wrong but just a thought.The raceways leading into their brood pond and their brood pond itself used to hold some trophy browns and rainbows up to 12lbs. These fish were the hatchery's brood stock.

Back in the 70s, the hatchery would release their older brood stock into nearby Moccasin creek.

When I was a teenager I caught about an 11lb rainbow in the nearby spillway but had to release it after the hatchery manager walked over and stated the river was still closed. He said to come back on the April opener, it opened at midnight. We went back on the Friday eve before the opener and a huge crowd had gathered by the spillway and adjacent pool. Folks could drive and park in the hatchery near the spillway. We positioned ourselves on the opposite side at the bottom of the spillway. Nearby floodlights and lanterns illuminated the bank on the hatchery side. At midnight the hatchery set off a loud siren to signal the trout season opener and everyone started wetting their lines. Many big trout were caught and you one could hear all kinds of whoops and hollers from the crowd whenever a big trout was hauled in. I caught 5 rainbows from 16" to 18" but no huge ones.

I watched one brave angler straddle the spillway wall in the dark. He dropped his line in and hooked and battled a huge trout close to 10lbs. This brave soul had no net and no way to haul the huge trout up the cement wall. Soon he tried to host the fish up but it broke off! The angler then straddled the wall divider back to the bank and returned to the crowd fishing the pool. We laughed our asses off on that one. It was a very festive event and reminded me of the those photos of back east trout openers with huge crowds lining up to catch trout.

We drove home about 9:00AM tired but happy after fishing all night.

Later in the late 80s we went back and fished the Moccasin opener. No crowds showed up and we got skunked. Guessed the hatchery quit that practice of releasing their older brood stock into nearby Moccasin creek.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RideNfish
04-07-2018, 08:43 AM
I read that all the fish were sterile so a population of anything won't take hold. I'm not interested so much in just tearing up a bunch of planters this year but I think once they become holdovers and grow their tails back it will be fun for the next couple of years.

sollimes
04-07-2018, 08:24 PM
Take the kids before it gets too hot.