PDA

View Full Version : what's the best way to troll a stained lake ?

EddieTee
04-27-2018, 03:50 PM
Went to Amador today for nada trout in the boat. Going back tomorrow with a friend and hoping the outcome might be a little better if I pick some brains here. The trout were hanging deep at 25' to 35' But we all know how soupy their water is. I used Speedy Shinner's , Bright colored Rapala's and many other lures for no avail. I just don't think the trout in the very stained water can see my presentations . Any Help please?:fishing1::fishing1:

fishwrong2
04-27-2018, 04:08 PM
In general, fish key on sight, smell and vibration. If you feel the fish aren't seeing your presentation, dodgers and flashers will put out a lot of vibration and let the fish know you're coming. Adding sent can help too.

As for Amador, it can be a funky bite. It fluctuates a lot depending on recent plants, and where the fish they planted came from. I'm not an expect on Amador, but the few times I've fished it, trout were all in top 10'. Fish deeper on the finder were bass, carp, panfish, etc., but again not a lot of time on Amador. Others may have better info.

Good luck.

Jetspray
04-27-2018, 04:59 PM
Keep your shiners and other lures close to the flash. I add more flash to mine with taco tape with lots of shine and eyes that reflect. It does not hurt to put some smell on the blade/flasher either, more action puts a larger bloom of smell in the water. You can also add rattle in front of the blade/flasher to make some noise......Jetspray

EddieTee
04-27-2018, 05:51 PM
How long of a leader for the shinner and lures there Jetspray :)

Jetspray
04-27-2018, 06:00 PM
How long of a leader for the shinner and lures there Jetspray :)I put mine no more than 18 inches away, mostly because of the stain and the action added. I also use action discs in clear water to add action. Easiest way is just to drop your presentation over the side and look how much you have, the farther back the less the action.......Jetspray

jive0400
04-27-2018, 06:16 PM
Silver 4" dodger with silver reflective tape. 15-18" leader and no longer. Thread a half a night crawler....deadly combo. Don't troll in a straight line...s patterns. Try also to make a longer setback then normal. :like:

fishin around
04-29-2018, 04:22 AM
Went to Amador today for nada trout in the boat. Going back tomorrow with a friend and hoping the outcome might be a little better if I pick some brains here. The trout were hanging deep at 25' to 35' But we all know how soupy their water is. I used Speedy Shinner's , Bright colored Rapala's and many other lures for no avail. I just don't think the trout in the very stained water can see my presentations . Any Help please?:fishing1::fishing1:

Went to Amador with my buddy for the natc tourney yesterday we trolled around the whole lake trying dodger and worms rapalas wedding rings and even drifting power bait we couldn't buy a bite water looked like coffe we got one trout in the Jackson creek arm throwing worms. Best way to get trout is try camanche or maybe just power bait off the shore saw more fish caught off the bank than off boats. Good luck with Amador

Jetspray
04-29-2018, 04:46 AM
Silver 4" dodger with silver reflective tape. 15-18" leader and no longer. Thread a half a night crawler....deadly combo. Don't troll in a straight line...s patterns. Try also to make a longer setback then normal. Keep color changes in mind, some days silver works some days gold works. Have a few different dodgers and make sure your set up is easy to change out with few problems to have. Makes it a little less complicated when making changes while trying to keep a straight course. Many of my fellow troll'ers have problems in this area, some have to stop in the lake to make changes and they are in the path of other boats. The water toy season is upon us, I'm just sayin'.......Jetspray

Jetspray
04-29-2018, 04:47 AM
Went to Amador with my buddy for the natc tourney yesterday we trolled around the whole lake trying dodger and worms rapalas wedding rings and even drifting power bait we couldn't buy a bite water looked like coffe we got one trout in the Jackson creek arm throwing worms. Best way to get trout is try camanche or maybe just power bait off the shore saw more fish caught off the bank than off boats. Good luck with AmadorIt is almost a full moon too......Jetspray

LineStretcher
04-29-2018, 08:21 AM
Poor water clarity is tough to fish. The general rule of thumb is in bright light use chrome, in subdued light use brass. Without much light, lure colors are moot point so you have to try to imitate what's in the water for live food. It's all about contrast. Typically it will be some sort of a shad like critter so concentrate on lures that mimic that and make some noise but not too much. The trout will go from chasing prey to eating veggies if it gets too difficult to see prey so you have to let them know it's coming without spooking them. Go smaller not larger.

Mikfish
04-29-2018, 10:01 AM
Was just at Amador over the weekend. Water is very stained. Almost like sewage color. Tried many different lures. The only lure that seemed effective was Apex running clean at 2 mph. Pink was the go to. Orange was ok. All fish were caught at 15' deep. Guy that won the derby with 6+ lbs.. ran old school flashers and a worm.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MGoMini
04-29-2018, 12:14 PM
I fished the NTAC yesterday and landed 3 on the troll from my kayak, lost 2, & had 6-8 love taps throughout the day. Finished 6th with a 3.05# lightning trout.

When the water is stained like yesterday there are three things I like to do:

#1 Be loud! I love using Rapala jointed shad raps (JSR-04 thru JSR-07) or Yakima MagLips (2.5 & 3.0) because they both have internal rattles that give off a ton of sound & vibration. I usually have the best luck with fire tiger & rainbow trout patterns at all the Motherlode lakes.

#2 Add scent! ProCure it, tip it with a crawler, etc. Provide a scent trail for the fish follow into the back of your lure. Change things up if certain scents aren't working. Past 2 years, Lassen trout have smashed the garlic scents - haven't had any luck with it this year so far. Fallen back on threadfin shad & rainbow trout scents with decent results.

#3 Get more data! I use a Fish Hawk TD to understand the temperature differences at 5-foot increments. Yesterday's water profile showed the largest temperature difference between 15 ft (65.1F) & 20 ft (59.0F) - this is where I caught all my fish.
The Fish Hawk rivals my fish finder for usefulness. While I may mark fish spread out on the FF from 5 feet down to 30 feet, if I know where they're more likely to be feeding, why spend time pulling lures through stained water where they're going to be less inclined to bite & less likely to find your lure?

To go along with this, I bought the dive charts for all my go-to lures from pro trolling data. Fish Hawk & FF locate the fish, dive charts let me know exactly how much line to let out to put my lures a foot above their heads.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Waterdog
04-29-2018, 02:13 PM
I seldom bother to troll in stained water. Really depends on how poor the visibility is. For trout I suggest three things when trolling in stained water 1. Troll slow. 2. Use scent 3. Use dodgers or flashers to set up vibration and flash to attract them. Sometimes its just not worth trolling stained water. You can go to plan B and drift highly scented bait. You can also search a lake to see if you can find less stained areas for trolling.