PDA

View Full Version : When do you set the hook for carp?

Jeff213
03-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Went out to Swenson Park in Stockton today and freelined corn for carp. Caught 1 about 3-4 pounds and 1 about 1 pound. I was having a problem though. I kept getting bites over and over again and when I went to set the hook I would have nothing on the line. I also hooked a huge one, probably 8 or 9 pounds, it did a really long run and got off the hook.

When do you carp fishing experts set the hook? I think I may have been setting the hook too soon.

mrsockeye
03-19-2008, 06:39 PM
I think I set the hook to early on every species of fish I fish for. I don't really have the answer to this question myself, as I swing as soon as I notice 1 or 2 taps. I had one on a sliding sinker rig that did the job for me, and almost got my rod and reel. I saw the line twitch, and then take off like a rocket. I grabbed the rod right as the reel slid down the bank into the water. That fish was big and mad, he ran into some tules and broke me off. :o

fisherFREAKking
03-19-2008, 07:56 PM
so u really wanna knoe huh ahhaha is easy those thing hook themself half the time but yeah i will get to the point let it keep on tapping tapping then u start to see ur pole bend tha when u set the hook ...i love fishing for carp wit 4 to 6 lb test wit my 4ft pole fighting a 20 pound carp exciting feel like a sturgeon hahahahhah ;D

Diego916
03-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Well, they don't have hands, so just about any time you are getting a "pull" type action on your line is a good time to set; the bait is in their mouth. However, that said, sometimes there are days when the only thing that works is to let them pull violently before you set. Other days, they hook themselves or you can't get a hook-up on any bite. I know it isn't the greatest answer to your question, but it is the right one ;)

mrsockeye
03-20-2008, 07:56 PM
The nice thing about carp, is that they have a nice rubbery mouth. Usuallly, once they are hooked, they stay hooked... unless they break your line like sewing thread. :o

Phinger28
03-20-2008, 10:04 PM
would using a balancer and letting the fish take the bait down work? or do they bite lightly

fisherFREAKking
03-21-2008, 09:55 PM
would using a balancer and letting the fish take the bait down work? or do they bite lightly

yes the balancer would work great i use it most of the time when im free lineing and they do bite lightly. when they run wit it. your pole will fly jus depend how big the fish is. so be carefully an pay close attention if u dont wanna lose ur pole haha. jus sayin

BIG_ONE
03-24-2008, 09:55 PM
Carp are a very clever type of fish, they somehow knows how to taste it without getting hooks :o ok...when it taps...let it taps, carp just testing it, set the hook when your pole bents and like a quick pull down motion, but make sure the pull last longer then 1 sec, some carp are clever enough to take a hard yank and lasted 1 sec only, and yeah sometimes they hook themself, but becarefull...they'll drag your pole in the water no problem ;D

MB_Kevin
03-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Or you can do like Panfish Popper yesterday and set the hook right, get it before the pole goes into the water...then snap it off and let it fall back into the water after you have it on shore without a pic ;D

striperkid
03-25-2008, 09:09 PM
i would suggest a good way to do it is aala striper/catfishing either flip the bell and let the fish run with it or use a balance beam and wait for that big take down and make sure to stay on top of your bites also with carp i would say make sure you use light hooks and keep them small you realy dont want the carp to feel much tension if any at all and make sure your hooks are sharp REAAAAALLLYYY sharp the mouth lips are thick and you need to make sure the penetration will happen the nano second you set the hook...

GoT HeeeeM
03-26-2008, 05:47 PM
i've never fished for carp...i understand you need to use small hooks but what # size leader do you use while fishing with the small hooks? i have a few spots where the carp are by the hundreds in 2-4 ft of water, sea weed and tules...i just know as soon as i hook one he's headin for the tweads..any suggestions?

fisherFREAKking
03-26-2008, 07:17 PM
8 pound is fine but weeds an stuff 10 but for meeh i will stick to 4 to 6 pound test funer tha wayz ;D..

Carpopath
03-26-2008, 10:50 PM
If you use baitrunner reels you wont lose your poles ;)

BIG_ONE
03-27-2008, 02:03 PM
lines so small :o must be catching tiny weenie carps...smallest i use for carp is 10 and biggest i use for carp is 25...i usually use 15-20lbs for carp, carps are pretty strong in the rivers, i don't know about ponds and such, but river carp...they are strong, i'd say stronger then striper, almost like salmon but they're strong :o

Jeff213
03-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Initially carp are as strong as salmon, but carp tire out quickly. The initial run of a carp is one of the most intense runs I've ever felt from a fish.

At least that is my experience.

janbfishinfolk
04-04-2008, 06:50 AM
They may not be as strong as a salmon but they fight harder than any largemouth I've ever hooked. I have had them pop 12# line like it isn't even there. As far as location and strength goes I think they are still very strong fighters even in small ponds. An 8 lber I caught in a small pond made 3 runs and broke water twice - a very exciting fight. Most carpers use #4 to #6 hooks and some use braided line. Taps can just be one mouthing the bait, I wait until the line goes out. In ponds a slow moving line could mean a turtle! Corn in a pond will catch a lot of turtles.

The Nor Cal Carp Club can net you some great info.

Jeff213
04-04-2008, 11:37 AM
I have been catching a lot more when waiting to set the hook until line starts pulling out. Unfortunately I've been catching A LOT of 1/2 to 1 pound feeder goldfish. I catch about 2 goldfish to every 1 true carp.

fusionstar
04-08-2008, 05:37 PM
You must be using some bad 12lb line or a bad knot if it breaks that easily.. I had never had a line break due to big fish... only to snags and when fish takes my stuff into the thicket. I use 12lb all my life and no matter the size of fish(1oz blue gills to 100lb bat rays).. they have not broken it... If your rod(regular pull not straight) doesn't break first if your snagged with 12lb mono on a graphite rod.. then you need a new knot and line.