PDA

View Full Version : River flow and wading

bish0p
04-28-2018, 01:04 PM
I'm trying to do more river fly fishing for trout instead of stillwater. For those of you who trout fish in moving water, what is considered a "safe" current flow for wading? A friend of mine says under 500 cfs. I searched online and opinions seem to vary.

QueenAnnesRevenge
04-28-2018, 01:37 PM
I'm trying to do more river fly fishing for trout instead of stillwater. For those of you who trout fish in moving water, what is considered a "safe" current flow for wading? A friend of mine says under 500 cfs. I searched online and opinions seem to vary.So many other variables besides cfs. There's spots on the American(lower) that I comfortably cross at 3500
There are also sections of upper river I won't eff with at 150 cfs.

Things I look for
- bottom composition
- depth
- temperature
- current seams
- far bank contour and composition

Basically, if you feel the least bit unsure cross elsewhere. Use a wading stick and the stickiest legal boot soles for your waterway.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

IronClad
04-28-2018, 01:45 PM
So many other variables besides cfs. There's spots on the American(lower) that I comfortably cross at 3500
There are also sections of upper river I won't eff with at 150 cfs.

Things I look for
- bottom composition
- depth
- temperature
- current seams
- far bank contour and composition

Basically, if you feel the least bit unsure cross elsewhere. Use a wading stick and the stickiest legal boot soles for your waterway.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Nailed it on the head. There is a river i fish that at 800cfs i can comfortably cross in one spot but 20-30 yards down river you are asking to drown. Many many more variables than just CFS

Waterdog
04-28-2018, 01:51 PM
Both above posts are spot on. In addition to the advice given be sure to wear a wader waist belt and use a good wading staff.

Fish-on
04-28-2018, 03:13 PM
I also carry a knife so I can cut away the waders if I have to. You won’t know until it is to late sometimes. My most fearful moment was when I got to deep. The river wasn’t flowing to fast but the water was just about up to the top of my waders before I realized it and I was being pushed down river. If I stepped ina hole I would have been in trouble. Made it out ok but that moment always sticks in my head.

CAL.NDN
04-28-2018, 07:27 PM
Yes like above said so much more than cfs I like QAR have crossed 3500 also and you wouldn't catch me going across the west Carson in 150 cfs in most places but it can be done in some places safely.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

gbslade
04-29-2018, 06:13 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180429/8f455ac1cc4cbfc04fe4242200e84b7c.jpg

gbslade
04-29-2018, 06:13 AM
The chart is from California Flyfisher magazine about 10 years ago.

stefanoflo
04-29-2018, 06:37 PM
I would take all the advise you have read in this Thread,also a rule of thumb because we all at times want to get really out in the middle and if the water level is up to your waist or above your belt line .Your into deep because if for some reason you have a current thats a Bit to strong even in Low flows ..you will loose yourself downstream and if your waders fill up
with water ..Your a goner.It`s like having vest full of rocks.stay within your self and no deeper than the bottom of your crotch!!

THINK SAFETY
ALWAYS WANT TO COME HOME ALIVE!!!!

timmyt
04-30-2018, 11:55 AM
I would take all the advise you have read in this Thread,also a rule of thumb because we all at times want to get really out in the middle and if the water level is up to your waist or above your belt line .Your into deep because if for some reason you have a current thats a Bit to strong even in Low flows ..you will loose yourself downstream and if your waders fill up
with water ..Your a goner.It`s like having vest full of rocks.stay within your self and no deeper than the bottom of your crotch!!

THINK SAFETY
ALWAYS WANT TO COME HOME ALIVE!!!!

I so agree. I do not like getting in anything deeper than my waist. A slip, fall or hole and it can spell trouble

fishwrong2
04-30-2018, 12:44 PM
What they said plus some.

The force water exerts on and object increases exponentially with speed. Water flowing at 2mph has 4 times the force of water flowing at 1 mph. You may be comfortable wading waist deep in moderate flow, but out of control in knee-deep water faster flows.

Wading belt, staff etc. are good pieces of advise. Having a buddy along is probably more valuable in my mind.