PDA

View Full Version : Just curious to see if I ought to mount the beast

SalmonKing
04-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Thanks for taking the time to vote. Also if I end up mounting do any of you know a good taxidermist at reasonable rates? Thanks.

SalmonKing

BIG_ONE
04-01-2008, 01:44 PM
i never seen any catfish mounted :-? :o

metalmouth
04-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Why not? I had a huge Yellow Perch Mounted. If it makes you happy . . . * *:D

knotgillty
04-01-2008, 03:23 PM
do any of you know a good taxidermist at reasonable rates? Mounting isn't cheap. *You'll find that out soon enough if you call around. *If you catch another big one, you would be better off taking lots of pictures with measurements (head circumference, length, girth, tail width, etc.). *You can have a replica made of the fish. *Replicas will last longer than a mount. *A mount is like a mummy, they eventually deteriorate due to changes in temperature, humidity, etc. A replica can be passed down to your kids or grandkids.

Jeff213
04-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Plus if you get a replica you can still get fillets off it.. although your fish may be too old for that now anyway.

Carpopath
04-02-2008, 06:23 AM
i wouldnt want to get caught mounting any kind of fish :o

knotgillty
04-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Plus if you get a replica you can still get fillets off it... Or you can release the beast to spawn another day and still have it on your wall . . .

Jeff213
04-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Well, I assumed it was too late for that since he seems to have it at his house...

SalmonKing
04-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Dear Gentlemen,

First of all, thank you for your suggestions and subtle criticisms. With regards to the replica, while I like the idea of it, I believe a replica loses any element of authenticity. That is not to say that they are not good looking and canít withstand the element of time more so than a true mount, but simply that they lack any true empirical value from my perspective. My response to the comment that I should have released the catfish is, quite bluntly, we will never have a close on catfish season, as we do for salmon, since catfish are exponentially prolific and hearty. In addition the waters that this fish came out of are so dense with huge catfish, taking one in a blue moon will hardly cause any sort of malady in catfish population; quite contrary. There are so many fish here, I believe (although I donít profess to be a fish biologist), that taking a few from these waters will lead to higher catfish survival as it frees up more food and will promote larger fish. If it were the delta I would have a different opinion since catfish of that magnitude are now-a-days far and few.

Best,

SalmonKing

sashimi_express
04-02-2008, 06:12 PM
[smiley=yahoo.gif] I love it when they use those big words.

mrsockeye
04-02-2008, 08:46 PM
I wish you had a picture of it, then I could give you the positive answer. I'm personally waiting to see a sturgeon mounted on somebody's wall. I haven't seen that one yet. I too agree that a replica mount lacks authenticity. You are getting somebody's fish on your wall. That is the bottom line, they use existing molds for the dimensions you give them, and paint your fishes colors on it. I totally agree with your decision to keep the fish. It is a catfish, a non-native species of fish, that is in no way in any danger of extinction or thinning of the gene pool. It is not like a giant Kenai River King Salmon that only gets one chance to spawn, if you catch it and kill it, the gene is lost forever. That catfish likely spawned several times in its life, and passed its genetics to its offspring. I find it perfectly acceptable to catch and kill a big catfish, they aren't wild salmon or steelhead. They are great gamefish in there own rights, but remember we are talking about a fish that has no limits in most lakes. Keeping one fish isn't going to hurt anything.

SalmonKing
04-02-2008, 09:37 PM
I wish you had a picture of it, then I could give you the positive answer. *I'm personally waiting to see a sturgeon mounted on somebody's wall. *I haven't seen that one yet. *I too agree that a replica mount lacks authenticity. *You are getting somebody's fish on your wall. *That is the bottom line, they use existing molds for the dimensions you give them, and paint your fishes colors on it. *I totally agree with your decision to keep the fish. *It is a catfish, a non-native species of fish, that is in no way in any danger of extinction or thinning of the gene pool. *It is not like a giant Kenai River King Salmon that only gets one chance to spawn, if you catch it and kill it, the gene is lost forever. *That catfish likely spawned several times in its life, and passed its genetics to its offspring. *I find it perfectly acceptable to catch and kill a big catfish, they aren't wild salmon or steelhead. *They are great gamefish in there own rights, but remember we are talking about a fish that has no limits in most lakes. *Keeping one fish isn't going to hurt anything.

Dear Mr. Sockeye,

Thank you for your support and elaboration on the mater at hand. Here is a pic of the 20.60lb cat that I caught last Saturday. Please click on image to enlarge it.

Best,

SalmonKing

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/792/chrisfishii1hs4.th.jpg (http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chrisfishii1hs4.jpg)

Jeremiah_Claar
04-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Whatever tickles your pickle man. Ive had several fish mounted by bass pro shops. My first mount was an 13.57lb bass. This was in 1991 and it was only... get this, $99. My last mount was a 53lb Chinook i caught in British Columbia that cost me $750 by a taxidermist arranged through the lodge in 2004. I am happy everytime i look at them, and they tell a story all their own. As far as deteriorating, I have yet to see any evidence of that taking place. As for a 20lb catfish being mounted, if it makes you happy by all means do it. For me I take into account is the fish a fish of a lifetime. Meaning is their a significant chance that I will never catch another fish this size and how abundant are the fish that size or bigger. For me a picture of a 20lb cat will suffice, only because I know how and where to get them that size and bigger. I caught a 39lb cat once at clear lake and contemplated mounting it as well. But everytime I looked at it on the stringer, I kept thinking of the movie grumpy old men and I ended up releasing her. I did feel better at the end of the day because most catfish mounts real or replica looked fake to begin with, and plus I dont eat cats over 5lbs. they just taste funny to me and they take forever to cook. Just my 2cents StayBent ;)

knotgillty
04-03-2008, 10:49 AM
My response to the comment that I should have released the catfish is, quite bluntly, we will never have a close on catfish season, as we do for salmon, since catfish are exponentially prolific and hearty.My info was directed towards those who do not realize that replicas are available (can get a replica and still release the beast). *I understand you kept the fish SalmonKing (which is your right). *Good job on your catch.

I caught a 39lb cat once at clear lake and contemplated mounting it as well. You should have mounted it. *It would have been a proud feat to have the lake record channel cat on your wall. *The Clear Lake catfish record currently stands at 33+ pounds.

MinnowMagnet
04-03-2008, 02:46 PM
*Keeping one fish isn't going to hurt anything.

A big catfish is bad for your health

BIG_ONE
04-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Keeping one fish isn't going to hurt anything.

even tho catfish eat alot of junk food, scientist proved that catfish is actually one of the most healthiest fish around the world lol ;D

steveo79
04-04-2008, 05:21 AM
I avoid the belly meat on the bigger cats; If there is any nasty stuff in the water it lived in, it would tend to accumulate in the belly fat area. Ribs back=tastier meat.

Nice Cat, BTW!

Jeff213
04-04-2008, 11:49 AM
It is true that catfish are predators. I wouldn't want to eat big catfish out of the delta... Same with big stripers. It is a whole food chain thing with predators. The mercury builds up more the higher on the food chain you go, and a big catfish is pretty much the same place on the food chain as a big largemouth or striper.

FresnoJack
04-04-2008, 11:51 AM
*Keeping one fish isn't going to hurt anything.

Ordinarily, the older the fish the more toxins it may have taken in.

My bet is that this fish came from a commercial pond. If it is the pond I am thinking of, the cats are raised on pellets and the waters come from a spring or an area of the river where there is little, if any, risk of pollution.