PDA

View Full Version : South Fork American River near Coloma

kayak007
05-11-2018, 07:13 PM
I thought I'd introduce myself with some beta from my neighborhood stream. The Good news - DFW planted near the Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park the week of 4/22. The Bad news - the river has been flowing on the high side between 2,000 to 3000 CFS making it hard to find the fish. I have seen a few fish caught on bait, but I recently struck out on streamers.
Austin

SteelyMan
05-11-2018, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the report , Been a while since i fished a stream and sure do miss it. Keep us informed Mr. Bond.

CAL.NDN
05-11-2018, 07:40 PM
Welcome aboard Austin. Yea it's high been checking every morning at work it has ran 1800 and 1900 a couple times since opening but I was busy I hit it 2700 the other day and its moving and sure are alot people out about early this season also. I live up the road a little bit myself. So you kayak fish also? I've never took mine down there I just bank it and dont fish the bridges that much but mabey will run into each other someday but i will be drifting bait.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

kayak007
05-13-2018, 07:58 PM
Hey CAL.NDN,
Mainly whitewater kayak, but I've used my river kayak on some ponds and lakes for bass. It's a bit challenging of a craft to fish from.

CAL.NDN
05-13-2018, 08:06 PM
Oh ok that makes sense. Yea I wouldn't put my fishing kayak in there myself. Yea that probably would be but definitely would still be effective.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

spicytuna
07-19-2018, 10:42 AM
I am headed up there next weekend.

Never fished that section of river and plan on floating it in our raft and fishing our way down to coloma where we are staying in the RV park.

Is it feasible to throw streamers the whole time? I am a fly guy so I hope that is the case for some big browns.

trying to gather as much info as I can before I head up there.

Thanks

CDK
07-19-2018, 10:49 AM
Where are you planning to launch?

spicytuna
07-20-2018, 10:27 AM
Chili Bar down to Ponderosa RV park

We will be there next Friday through Sunday 27-29

Will do first float just my brother and I around 1 or 2 on Friday to get our bearings on the river.

Then it will be a couple floats on Sat and maybe one Sunday morning.

Some of the family like whitewater so some floats will just cruising.

My brother and I are hoping to get one fishing trip a day.

CDK
07-20-2018, 11:00 AM
Chili Bar down to Ponderosa RV park

We will be there next Friday through Sunday 27-29

Will do first float just my brother and I around 1 or 2 on Friday to get our bearings on the river.

Then it will be a couple floats on Sat and maybe one Sunday morning.

Some of the family like whitewater so some floats will just cruising.

My brother and I are hoping to get one fishing trip a day.
I know that part of the river. I think you would be better off to float- beach- fish and repeat.
There are places that will need your full attention and skill.

spicytuna
07-23-2018, 03:18 PM
I know that part of the river. I think you would be better off to float- beach- fish and repeat.
There are places that will need your full attention and skill.

Thank you for the heads up.

I will be on the sticks and as standard 100% of attention is on the water.

We just floated the MFA yesterday and got a bunch of small bows, no browns wanted to play.

Hopefully we can find some on the SFA this weekend.

Fish-on
07-23-2018, 06:52 PM
I have seen pictures of some hogs pulled out of that area in the spring time. Never a picture with me in it though. I understand that the big fish from Folsom Lake travel up river to spawn in the spring. And I mean big trout in the 20-25Ē range. In the summer I think they are gone and you will get the little planters. Last year I camped at the RV Park and didnít see a fish caught for 3 days.....hope you have better luck then me

spicytuna
07-24-2018, 10:37 AM
Will report back if we find any of those big ones

spicytuna
07-30-2018, 01:49 PM
Went 1 for 2 on rainbows on a streamer pattern Saturday.

Note to self, put on before 8:00 if there is any chance of fishing.

Never seen so many boats and tubers on a river in my life.

fishgamer
10-15-2019, 02:02 AM
Went 1 for 2 on rainbows on a streamer pattern Saturday.

Note to self, put on before 8:00 if there is any chance of fishing.

Never seen so many boats and tubers on a river in my life.

This is why I always go early, like 5:00 or 6:00, there are nearly no people at all within this time range.

Owlman2
10-15-2019, 04:31 AM
Whenever people talk about the south fork, I am reminded of the old timers talking about the days when there were steelhead running up by Coloma. How awesome would that have been? I guess we got a lice infested lake out of the deal, but there sure was a lot lost.

CDK
10-15-2019, 06:06 AM
Whenever people talk about the south fork, I am reminded of the old timers talking about the days when there were steelhead running up by Coloma. How awesome would that have been? I guess we got a lice infested lake out of the deal, but there sure was a lot lost.
2 lakes.

darellkasper
10-26-2019, 07:37 AM
I just got into fishing, but I haven't caught any fish yet, so I guess I'm a rookie.

scanoe fisher
10-27-2019, 06:58 AM

No way to put a price on what was SAVED! Imagine how bad the floods would/could have been down stream if not for Folsom and Natomas. Unfortunately there is always a cost we must pay for progress and civilization . Not saying they are worth it just saying. You want a home in a fertile river valley something is going to be destroyed for it to happen. Best we can hope for is the powers that be take a real close and intelligent look at the scales so we do not do as much damage as we have in the past to these resources. Ok soap box chopped up for kindling and tossed in the fire.