PDA

View Full Version : Alameda boat launch suggestions

Bret1972
05-14-2018, 01:10 PM
Iíve launched out of Richmond and Berkeley, but with a small boat I would like to find a spot further south (in the east bay) to launch. I see a few places when I search google, but am looking for input as to what people suggest. My boat has a low draft, so it doesnít need to be too deep. My first priority is that itís not in a bad area where the chances of getting my truck broken into is high. Second priority is quick access to Halibut fishing in the South Bay (Iíve never fished the South Bay in my boat) so that when the wind kicks up I can get back in quickly. Third priority is cost.

Im hoping to go Tuesday or Wednesday... input appreciated.

nayr
05-14-2018, 03:04 PM
I believe your only 2 options are the ramp at encinal and the ramp at grand st.

Grand st is the nicer ramp of the 2 but you have a long run to get out to the bay since its back by coastguard island. And a lot of that is a 5mph zone

Encinal puts u right on the alameda rock wall, but the ramp and dock arent in the best condition. Encinal might be a little tricky if your by yourself, but I know guys use it.

Bret1972
05-14-2018, 03:33 PM
Whats tricky icky about doing it solo? No cleats on the doc or something?
On Wed my cousin is gonna fish with me... we were gonna do Tomales, but with a minus tide at 7am, we wouldnít be able to get out until it came up. Was thinking launch out of Richmond and go to Paradise or try Alameda and explore the South Bay.... only negative is commute traffic if we do Alameda.

I believe your only 2 options are the ramp at encinal and the ramp at grand st.

Grand st is the nicer ramp of the 2 but you have a long run to get out to the bay since its back by coastguard island. And a lot of that is a 5mph zone

Encinal puts u right on the alameda rock wall, but the ramp and dock arent in the best condition. Encinal might be a little tricky if your by yourself, but I know guys use it.

Dwight Manley
05-14-2018, 03:56 PM
Iíve launched out of Richmond and Berkeley, but with a small boat I would like to find a spot further south (in the east bay) to launch. I see a few places when I search google, but am looking for input as to what people suggest. My boat has a low draft, so it doesnít need to be too deep. My first priority is that itís not in a bad area where the chances of getting my truck broken into is high. Second priority is quick access to Halibut fishing in the South Bay (Iíve never fished the South Bay in my boat) so that when the wind kicks up I can get back in quickly. Third priority is cost.

Im hoping to go Tuesday or Wednesday... input appreciated.

san leandro marina

nayr
05-14-2018, 05:45 PM
Whats tricky icky about doing it solo? No cleats on the doc or something?
On Wed my cousin is gonna fish with me... we were gonna do Tomales, but with a minus tide at 7am, we wouldn’t be able to get out until it came up. Was thinking launch out of Richmond and go to Paradise or try Alameda and explore the South Bay.... only negative is commute traffic if we do Alameda.

Launch ramp is green, dock is really short, not really protected from wind.

The slick ramp is what keeps me from ever going. Ive slid on a slick ramp once b4.

DBoardfox
05-15-2018, 08:36 AM
I launch out of Encinal ramp often. It is a nice place to launch except tides are a pain in the a$$. I launch a 17ft aluminum that has minimal draft but on low tides I cannot even get my trailer bunks to submerge. Just watch tides. As for it being slick meh not that bad I have not had to put my truck in 4wd to pull out my boat so it is good enough. Halibut grounds are right there I am fishing usually within 5 min of launching.