PDA

View Full Version : Red Lake

gobears16
05-20-2018, 12:18 PM
Was wondering if anybody knows if Red Lake has been stocked or is going to be stocked? I used to fish this lake a lot when I was younger. Would love to get up there next weekend while Iím up in Tahoe. If not red lake where would one go to have a shot a catching a few trout on a fly rod? Thank you for help

Fish-on
05-20-2018, 02:41 PM
I was at Red Lake this weekend. Caught 1 cutthrought. Saw a bunch a large trout cruising the shore line but could not get them to bite anything I was offering. Not sure if or when it will be planted but DFG website does post the planting schedule so you might want to check it out. You can also hit the Carson River where 88 & 89 come together. I didnít have any luck there this weekend but you might. They do plant it. A lot of guys do fly fish that river. I was working nymphs in addition to everything else in my arsenal but could not get anything to bite. This was the first time I have ever been skunked on the West Carson

Jetspray
05-20-2018, 03:02 PM
I was at Red Lake this weekend. Caught 1 cutthrought. Saw a bunch a large trout cruising the shore line but could not get them to bite anything I was offering. Not sure if or when it will be planted but DFG website does post the planting schedule so you might want to check it out. You can also hit the Carson River where 88 & 89 come together. I didnít have any luck there this weekend but you might. They do plant it. A lot of guys do fly fish that river. I was working nymphs in addition to everything else in my arsenal but could not get anything to bite. This was the first time I have ever been skunked on the West CarsonIf the flows a down they may plant before the Memorial Day Weekend, Wed thru Friday. Otherwise maybe Woodford's bridge, Crystal springs bridge, Sorenson's bridge, 88 bridge or across from Hope Valley CG. If all else fails Indian Creek Res is a good shot, probably by the Campground Day use area........Jetspray

Captain Compassion
05-20-2018, 03:11 PM
Was wondering if anybody knows if Red Lake has been stocked or is going to be stocked? I used to fish this lake a lot when I was younger. Would love to get up there next weekend while Iím up in Tahoe. If not red lake where would one go to have a shot a catching a few trout on a fly rod? Thank you for help

High flows on the Carson. If you do get to Red you might want to try down by the outlet. Usually in May the CDFW stocks excess brooders LCT from Heenan in Red. They like to hang out down there. CDFW does not have any stocks for Alpine except for the Stan.

CC

gobears16
05-20-2018, 07:31 PM
Thank you all for the replies... looks like I have some options. And yes Iíve had many good days by the outlet. Might have to give it go