PDA

View Full Version : Pinecrest

Fish-on
06-03-2018, 02:23 PM
Heading to Pinecrest this week for a few days. Anyone been there recently? Just wondering how is the fishing? Typical lake fishing with power bait and worms I know but how is it?

planning on hiking to a few lakes and streams in the area too.

MtnFisher
06-03-2018, 04:27 PM
I have not fished Pinecrest in a few years but its a typical stocked, put and take for rainbows mtn lake. There is boat dock, beach and a well maintained trail that circles the lake. I had my best luck for planter rainbows on the east shore fishing the rocky points just off the trail. There is even a phone along the trail. The inlet is in the back and though I never fished it others have reported good fishing there.

Expect plenty of company, mostly hikers, bikini clad paddle boarders and your typical recreational summer crowd.

BigUnInDaBoat
06-03-2018, 04:51 PM
Not getting the usual plants with the tragedy that hit moccasin, they are getting limited plants, there are always holdovers, bt this year will probably be tougher than previous years.

MtnFisher
06-04-2018, 11:30 AM
Thats a good point on Moccasin fish hatchery.

A quick check of the CDFW planting schedule lists recent plants on 5/20 and 6/3 for Pinecrest Lake. Not sure if other hatcheries plant Pinecrest?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BigUnInDaBoat
06-04-2018, 02:17 PM
Thats a good point on Moccasin fish hatchery.

A quick check of the CDFW planting schedule lists recent plants on 5/20 and 6/3 for Pinecrest Lake. Not sure if other hatcheries plant Pinecrest?

Yes, limited plants from the fresno area hatchery I was told.

sollimes
06-04-2018, 07:53 PM
Try Lyons lake, hike to the inlet and cast TB or KM.

Fish-on
06-05-2018, 07:32 AM
Lyons Lake .... hiked there a few years ago when I was camping at Wrightís Lake. I didnít see any action. Didnít think there was much in there anymore. Same with most of the Desolation small lakes. Back when I was a kid I used to hike and fish that area a few times a year with dad. Never did great but always caught a few. The last 5 times I have been back there in the last 10 years I never caught a fish in Desolation

sollimes
06-05-2018, 07:56 AM
Lyons Lake .... hiked there a few years ago when I was camping at Wrightís Lake. I didnít see any action. Didnít think there was much in there anymore. Same with most of the Desolation small lakes. Back when I was a kid I used to hike and fish that area a few times a year with dad. Never did great but always caught a few. The last 5 times I have been back there in the last 10 years I never caught a fish in Desolation

Lyons lake located just b4 princrest on 108, you can drive to the lake itís about 2miles.

Fish-on
06-05-2018, 03:39 PM
Ok I see that Lyons Lake now. Thanks for the tip. Always looking for new water to check out

Fish-on
06-14-2018, 02:06 PM
Pinecrest was on fire last weekend. Powerbait was the ticket. I couldnít even get my second rod rigged up and in the water because my other rod was hooked up. Kids had a blast. Every 3-5 mins we had kids reeling in fish. Nothing big but was awesome to see the kids face when they caught their first trout

RickR6
06-19-2018, 12:47 PM
Hey Fish-On, Iím headed to Pinecrest for a day trip with the wife and kid. Any tips? You donít have to share the exact location if you donít want to. Much appreciated!

Fish-on
06-20-2018, 03:59 AM
When I was there I could not keep the fish off the hook. Almost everywhere we went we caught fish. If you donít have a bite in 10 mins move maybe 30-50 yards. I started right at the edge of the day use area (the area that doesnít allow dogs) and didnít have to go far. Used the chartreuse power bait. Donít need to much. Think smaller then a dime.

Also if you are feeling adventurous and want to hike around he lake about halfway around is where the river runs into the lake and is usually LOADED with fish and guys trying to catch them. Lures and spinners and worms work well there but it can be crowded. An easier hike if you start from the marina and start the trail that goes around the lake you come to the dam. Lots of fish at the dam too and easy to cast from. Power bait or lures there too

Troutbead
06-20-2018, 06:30 AM
Pinecrest?

BigUnInDaBoat
06-20-2018, 08:06 AM
Pinecrest?

A lake in Tuolumne County that is very very very very very very popular with valley and bay area tourists. It's not a spot to get away from people that's for sure.

breezin
06-20-2018, 01:23 PM
There SOOOOO many people there on weekends. I can't handle it. Have never tried a weekday... must be better.

Fish-on
06-20-2018, 05:12 PM
I agree it is super crowded on weekends but still a nice place to go. If you can go weekdays the crowds are probably less then 50% of the weekend

breezin
06-21-2018, 09:21 AM
Wow, even 50% less is a LOT of people! But sounds like the fishing is pretty good... they must stock the hell out of it.

breezin
06-21-2018, 09:21 AM
I might just need to go and try out Lyons next time I'm in the area... might be a good alternative.

BigUnInDaBoat
06-21-2018, 09:46 AM
Wow, even 50% less is a LOT of people! But sounds like the fishing is pretty good... they must stock the hell out of it.

can be amazing in the dead of winter, after snowfall. All the fish in there are pale white meat, even the holdovers. Just not worth killing for the table.32747

MtnFisher
06-21-2018, 11:50 AM
can be amazing in the dead of winter, after snowfall. All the fish in there are pale white meat, even the holdovers. Just not worth killing for the table.32747Cool pic! Always wanted to try it during the snow season.