PDA

View Full Version : Damn they're tasty

toomanyhobbies
06-05-2018, 07:43 PM
I admit it, I had never eaten shad. I fell for it hook, line and sinker. Oh there trash fish, oh nobody eats those things, only keepem for crab bait and so on. Well after a long hiatus from shad after leaving the lower American for the upper years ago I finally went again. And man did i forget how much fun it is wading in a river on a warm evening fighting shad. Well my night was slow, I was rusty but still managed a few. Took them home and decided to smoke them. What a wonderful surprise, we had them the last two nights. Once in a salad with lemon honey dressing and tonight with garlic asparagus pasta. Sure there boney but a little patience and some bone pickers made short work of them. Well worth the trouble, I won't be throwing shad back anytime soon.

fishin around
06-07-2018, 10:37 AM
For shad I like the cedar plank method. Heavily season the fish cook it for 10 minutes on each side when its done throw the fish away and eat the wood.

Skypig
06-07-2018, 11:44 AM
Learn to debone them and smoke them. Easily as good as salmon, if not better. I know...sacrilege, but based on my last batch, totally true.

Tifoso
06-07-2018, 03:41 PM
Dang tasty smoked.

fishin around
06-07-2018, 03:48 PM
Sounds like I have to give it a try I've talked to a couple guys who said use a pressure cooker to make the bones soft.

tangofox1
12-19-2018, 10:25 PM
Anyone got a good smoking recipe or do you just gut ‘em and toss ‘em over some mesquite or something?

EastBayAllDay
02-08-2019, 09:49 AM
any good tutorials on deboning?

CDK
02-08-2019, 10:15 AM
any good tutorials on deboning?
:ts6rp:

CDK
02-08-2019, 10:16 AM
any good tutorials on deboning?https://honest-food.net/how-to-cook-shad/

Folsomtroller22
02-09-2019, 02:25 PM
https://honest-food.net/how-to-cook-shad/

On a beautiful rainy day right now I decided to watch the video of how to filet shad. The technique was captivating to watch but it would probably take me all day to process one fish. Shad are great fun to catch and I would be happy to pay someone else to filet them. Unless properly prepared the results after cooking are far less than desirable. I know from personal experience.

Smallboatfullcoole
02-19-2019, 09:54 PM
I've had them the wrong way several times, and I've had the pleasure of tasting them brined and smoked. Delish!