PDA

View Full Version : Troubled Waters

GoneCountry
06-10-2018, 07:42 AM
Hi everyone, been awhile. Has your Fishing experience changed this year? I was just looking over the Plant schedule for Eldorado County. Not looking good People. Fisheries are collapsing throughout the state. High pressure and not enough fish to go around. The lake we hit the most everyyear is a bust this year. I don't see it recovering for many years. Fishing the high country has been a passion of mine for decades. I don't need limits or size. Just fish. They seem extinct in many lakes and streams. Pretty upset considering what you pay for a Lic. plus the $$$$ to get and or stay there. Seems the Fish Hunters travel the state in search of thier bounty now. Those are the only ones I hear having a decent day. I moved into El Dorado County a year ago and can now see first hand whats going on up the hill. I live on the hill pretty much less than 1 hr from almost all lakes and streams. I can tell you this, when Memorial day comes, thats it its crowded on weekends with heavy pressure on almost any easy or semi easy access lake or stream. Not to mention now they are charging day use and boat launch parking fees that were non existint in the past. Now I see California Highway 50 corridor is getting congested to the point that on weeknds unless you have rervations, good luck. Labor Day comes and the crowds vanish. Its not a preety picture that it once was.

chubbswheeler
06-10-2018, 07:57 AM
On the bright side.... Everyone and their aunt can come up here and get skunked fishing Tahoe even with the abundance of fishm it's a tough spot to hook up and is the epicenter of all this commotion. I've been here for 15 years almost and have seen the accelerated popularity in our sport over the past 5. It's crazy put there. This is not the reason I am becoming a guide on the lake but is a good way to see it. Maybe once their tired of getting skunked in the over fished waters they'll pay the awesome giides of lake Tahoe (me included) to take them out. Hopefully.... Also I'll be running discounts for any senior member or better. Also plan on hooking up senior citizens, kids, ride alongs, pretty single women, military, service men and women and plenty other hook ups. when I get operational probably even take a sniffer trip free of charge. You invited gone country and you can get the first fish. Once again this is only me trying to stay positive in a world over ran by tourons...... Good luck out there buddy

MtnFisher
06-10-2018, 08:53 AM
Hi everyone, been awhile. Has your Fishing experience changed this year? I was just looking over the Plant schedule for Eldorado County. Not looking good People. Fisheries are collapsing throughout the state. High pressure and not enough fish to go around. The lake we hit the most everyyear is a bust this year. I don't see it recovering for many years. Fishing the high country has been a passion of mine for decades. I don't need limits or size. Just fish. They seem extinct in many lakes and streams. Pretty upset considering what you pay for a Lic. plus the $$$$ to get and or stay there. Seems the Fish Hunters travel the state in search of thier bounty now. Those are the only ones I hear having a decent day. I moved into El Dorado County a year ago and can now see first hand whats going on up the hill. I live on the hill pretty much less than 1 hr from almost all lakes and streams. I can tell you this, when Memorial day comes, thats it its crowded on weekends with heavy pressure on almost any easy or semi easy access lake or stream. Not to mention now they are charging day use and boat launch parking fees that were non existint in the past. Now I see California Highway 50 corridor is getting congested to the point that on weeknds unless you have rervations, good luck. Labor Day comes and the crowds vanish. Its not a preety picture that it once was.

The put and take fisheries did take a good hit this year due to the Moccasin hatchery disaster. A friend told me recently his planted usual spot has been really tough this year, he has had to work hard to catch limits. On the other hand I have another friend who hikes alot and he has been doing good. I have not been out the last couple months but earlier this year did great.

It really depends on your fishing methods and where you go. The easy spots are not so easy this year and thats okay with me, I try to think outside the box anyways. The ice melt is peaking right now, wait a few weeks, re-strategize and go get them.

stefanoflo
06-10-2018, 06:55 PM
Granted it`s a California thing . whats funny is that the are trying to push the 12 Month license issue because of what ?? lack of participants. be that Californa will take your Money and give you really jack **** in return , if California wants to increase Participation , maybe giving those that will and do fish, get more fish to Catch . Not say , We will try and pass a 12 Month License get more people to fish and go get skunked" .and then wonder why we don`t have fisherman renewing the license anymore !!! California Politics cares less about the Outdoors fisherman and hunter Period!!!
having more people fish will bring in More revenue yes , problem really is,It wont be used for the Fisheries!!!!!
and that`s the Pattern that has yet to change !!!!! Bend over ...I Love you!!!!!!!. Now go home!!!!!!!

toomanyhobbies
06-10-2018, 07:35 PM
I've fished many of these waters since I was a kid and they're not the good ol days for sure. Hwy 50/88 used to have many uncrowded campgrounds, lakes and trails. Unfortunately the bay creep set in 10+ years ago and has now reached a point of diminished experiences. Thankfully I'm the kinda guy willing and able to pack into less crowded waters. But that's getting more difficult by the year. REI and social media pushing folks into the woods is great for pics and sales but hard on those of us who remember what it once was.

BigUnInDaBoat
06-10-2018, 07:50 PM
I've caught almost 700 trout this year, one of the best years, and the very best year for big fish.

BigUnInDaBoat
06-10-2018, 07:52 PM
The put and take fisheries did take a good hit this year due to the Moccasin hatchery disaster. A friend told me recently his planted usual spot has been really tough this year, he has had to work hard to catch limits. On the other hand I have another friend who hikes alot and he has been doing good. I have not been out the last couple months but earlier this year did great.

It really depends on your fishing methods and where you go. The easy spots are not so easy this year and thats okay with me, I try to think outside the box anyways. The ice melt is peaking right now, wait a few weeks, re-strategize and go get them.

I was told the overall loss was 15%. I took some pics, and it didn't even look like that much. I was there the day after and the days following and let me be the first to tell you the other 85% are swimming and doing just fine in Pedro. Literally all day action.

ampm
06-10-2018, 08:04 PM
Been killing it all year.

fishwrong2
06-11-2018, 03:53 AM
One thing I've reconciled myself to over the years is that fish populations change. Natural runs have cycles of up and down year to year, and to a lesser extent stocked fish do the same thing.

Last year SMUD stocked a large class of fish in the Crystal Basin. Caught 2-3 pound rainbows which were much nicer than the little 12" fish I've seen for years. New Melones kokanee are tough but they've seeing double digit rainbows, which are world class fish. Folsom is kicking out kings and some gorgeous rainbows too. Salmon in the Sac has been tough the last few years but the Feather and Moke had big runs, and stripers were great.

I get griping about how "they" are screwing "us" is therapeutic, but adapting to new or different opportunities catches more fish. Just food for thought.

timmyt
06-12-2018, 07:12 AM
I don't get the fascination that you need trout plants to catch trout. If you put some work in, scout, hike a bit you should be rewarded if you have any sort of skill at all.

Snowtrout
06-12-2018, 08:18 AM
Maybe this will be the year for anglers to try new waters. If your main lakes are not producing, you can either try and figure out why the fish in the lake are not biting or get out of your comfort zone and try somewhere new. Maybe somewhere that isn't as crowded. Maybe somewhere not dependent on plants. If possible, maybe some new areas you would have to hike into.

As another person said, lakes productivity runs on cycles. Some are down right now while others are up. Figure out which ones are doing well and fish those areas.

Jetspray
06-12-2018, 08:45 AM
Gone Country, things have changed since the 50's. We moved to California in 1957 when I was 7 years old. I took busses and trains back to visit Iowa (rode on the California Zephyr to Redding Iowa on more than one occasion). That being said I watched them put in Hwy 80 and what it did to that area. There has been a direction change in California ever since, mostly for the worse. There are too many on the governmental plantation wanting what you earn, for the most part, and that would include the governmental types who think it is free money. They simply are not serving the public in a positive way in my view. It will take a monumental change to move them out and put in some people who are more frugal with the dollars they are provided. Just look at personal incomes and how much wealth the government steals and how many people live on plastic with no regard of how much debt they are in, it is institutionalized to do so. Most do not retire with much to live on, my favorite thing is to hear from people who are of retirement age, working at minimal jobs, to have health care and saying "I was just bored so I went back to work". end of rant.........Jetspray

Jetspray
06-12-2018, 08:49 AM
BTW "plastic" has changed to smart phones & bitcoin to "get rich quick", same old song different lyrics.:music-smiley-019:.......Jetspray

chubbswheeler
06-12-2018, 08:54 AM
Just please pack out all your trash. Broke off line and pbait jars are all too common far away from the trailhead. Not cool. Pick up anything you see or your contributing to the problem! I was at Margaret and was picking broken line with split shots and hooks up everywhere. Plastic doesn't degrade for up to 1million years! Truth... Please guys encourage cleaning up after yourself and I will allow you in my Backcountry. The forest wasn't made for this. Once again we're not at the nimbus damn, we're in God's country! Thanks fellas.

Jetspray
06-12-2018, 09:15 AM
Just please pack out all your trash. Broke off line and pbait jars are all too common far away from the trailhead. Not cool. Pick up anything you see or your contributing to the problem! I was at Margaret and was picking broken line with split shots and hooks up everywhere. Plastic doesn't degrade for up to 1million years! Truth... Please guys encourage cleaning up after yourself and I will allow you in my Backcountry. The forest wasn't made for this. Once again we're not at the nimbus damn, we're in God's country! Thanks fellas.I missed some line and cigarette butts yesterday when I was at ICR, but I will get to them when I return next week I am sure of that.......Jetspray

BigUnInDaBoat
06-12-2018, 09:25 AM
I will allow you in my Backcountry.

Thanks for allowing the rest of us to live in YOUR world. :suspicion:

I'm all with the rest of your post and agree with it.

Waterdog
06-12-2018, 10:06 AM
The planting of trout and other species is here to stay and is quite necessary. Now fish and wildlife and flora and fauna need to be managed because of mans intrusion on Mother Nature. If trout and some other species weren’t planted/managed fresh water opportunities to fish would be restricted and scarce.
When I was younger I fished and back packed all over the Sierras (and the Bear Tooth Wilderness in Montana). Had some fabulous wilderness fishing adventures. But walking into more remote areas to find quality fishing isn’t an option for many or most people for numerous reasons. They require lakes and streams they can drive too. So saying just walk a little farther just isn’t an option for many.
Although I am far from a big government guy I’d like to see the DF&W budget increased by a lot. But before that happens I’d like to see people who are knowledgeable and have expertise in natural resources, hunting, fishing and outdoors be put in areas of management and power. Currently for example the DF&W commissioners who are appointed by the governor know nothing about natural resources, hunting or fishing. One is said to be an outdoorsman but that’s as far as it goes. I doubt all but one has ever fished, hunted, or stepped foot in the wilderness. California directs very little of their revenue toward DF&W and our natural resources but instead spends billions on wasteful idiotic programs.

Jetspray
06-12-2018, 10:34 AM
The thing for me is that the governmental types have never experienced the out door experience. Much like Gov. Brown he is all about the city and nothing else is his direction nothing else. He is driven by his "Legacy" like his dad before him. Change the names of the projects an he is gone no matter what and where it is. Life moves on.........Jetspray

Waterdog
06-12-2018, 11:24 AM
Just please pack out all your trash. Broke off line and pbait jars are all too common far away from the trailhead. Not cool. Pick up anything you see or your contributing to the problem! I was at Margaret and was picking broken line with split shots and hooks up everywhere. Plastic doesn't degrade for up to 1million years! Truth... Please guys encourage cleaning up after yourself and I will allow you in my Backcountry. The forest wasn't made for this. Once again we're not at the nimbus damn, we're in God's country! Thanks fellas.
Well said. The trashing of out outdoor areas and wilderness areas has gotten worse over the last 20 or 30 years. It appears to be a different breed of human critter venturing into the outdoors. I’ve seen beer cans in pristine mountain lakes, cigarette butts everywhere, clumps of discarded fishing line, and other assorted trash. A couple years ago at Union lake , a nice mountain lake you can drive to, I found an abandoned campfire still smoldering and and assortment of empty Alcohol beverage containers. Couldn’t believe anyone would do this. I don’t have an ultimate solution to the problem but I’d like to see that when people are caught littering that their discarded refuse is shoved up their a.........

BigUnInDaBoat
06-12-2018, 11:36 AM
Last year at Convict a group had rented a party Barge and proceeded to anchor within 30 feet of us and take out a bottle of bubbly and popped the cork into the lake. I drove over to it netted it, and asked them if they wanted their bleeping trash back and how disrespectful it was to litter in such a beautiful place. After I yelled at him, you could tell they were shocked. I bet he never litters again.

chubbswheeler
06-12-2018, 04:46 PM
Thanks for allowing the rest of us to live in YOUR world. :suspicion:

I'm all with the rest of your post and agree with it.

Hmmmm, maybe if everyone treated the Wilderness like it was their own they wouldn't leave trash all over the place. This sense of ownership only makes me appreciate the area I call home even more. I wasn't saying its not yours too.... If I am correct it is mine, and yours, and her, and his, and theirs. That's why it's national Forest. It belongs to all of us. Am I wrong?

GoneCountry
06-12-2018, 10:29 PM
You are correct the lakes streams and forests belog to everyone. Crowds is something Im not used too seeing . I have been camping for over 50 years . Have been out of the loop for about 7 years due to health issues. I still dont camp and fishing is minimal. So Im sorry if I came across like I own it. Guess the world is getting smaller

GoneCountry
06-12-2018, 10:36 PM
As for the repect of the forest, It has went south. I have seen graffiti covere bridges in Hope Valley all the way into Crystal Basin by Loon Lake. My son sees garbage throughout the forest on his jeep excursions. He brings bags to clean up what he can. SO with the crowds come the people who dont care enough about the Beauty of The Land and Water. I might not own the forest but I love it enough to leave it for the next person to enjoy just like found it.

BigUnInDaBoat
06-12-2018, 11:15 PM
Hmmmm, maybe if everyone treated the Wilderness like it was their own they wouldn't leave trash all over the place. This sense of ownership only makes me appreciate the area I call home even more. I wasn't saying its not yours too.... If I am correct it is mine, and yours, and her, and his, and theirs. That's why it's national Forest. It belongs to all of us. Am I wrong?

Nah you're not wrong. I pick up others trash everytime out, makes me sick as I live up high.

BigUnInDaBoat
06-12-2018, 11:19 PM
Speaking of trash, check this wrench I found in the middle of nowhere, 2 miles from any road, in the middle of the forest that hasn't been logged for 30-40 years. Fell out of a plane?

FresnoJack
06-14-2018, 03:30 AM
So if I bend over, do I get a 12-month license or a calendar year license?

grin

Granted it`s a California thing . whats funny is that the are trying to push the 12 Month license issue because of what ?? lack of participants. be that Californa will take your Money and give you really jack **** in return , if California wants to increase Participation , maybe giving those that will and do fish, get more fish to Catch . Not say , We will try and pass a 12 Month License get more people to fish and go get skunked" .and then wonder why we don`t have fisherman renewing the license anymore !!! California Politics cares less about the Outdoors fisherman and hunter Period!!!
having more people fish will bring in More revenue yes , problem really is,It wont be used for the Fisheries!!!!!
and that`s the Pattern that has yet to change !!!!! Bend over ...I Love you!!!!!!!. Now go home!!!!!!!

Owlman2
06-14-2018, 04:53 AM
A lot of the gripes here, while certainly legitimate, are the largely unavoidable result of increasing population in this state. Anyone over the age of 35 or so will have noticed how traffic has worsened by about 3X in the past 15 or 20 years. The state is at the point where many freeways and major traffic arteries are slower than walking during much of the day.

A lot of us would probably be much happier moving elsewhere...to a different state....but that is easier said than done.

stefanoflo
06-14-2018, 06:54 AM
So if I bend over, do I get a 12-month license or a calendar year license?

grin

does it really matter ?? Just enjoy bending over !!!! at least ask for a Kiss right?????

Maxumfishin
06-15-2018, 04:44 PM
Nope your right!! As dad taught me: Replace your divot and one other or pick up your trash and someone else's.

MtnFisher
06-16-2018, 07:38 AM
A growing problem in our national forests is the use of highly toxic chemicals used by the cartels for their illegal marijuana grows.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/05/30/us/california-illegal-marijuana-federal-lands/index.html

Now we have to worry about not only running into the bad guys, their booby traps but is the stream water poisoned?

I do drink from streams, filtered of course but no filter is going to capture the toxic rodentcide they are using around their grows.

How about a fish hook in your eye? The cartels hang fish hooks from branches at eye level hoping they will snag you!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TBSP
06-16-2018, 09:04 AM
Back in the ‘80’s we were taking a 2 week backpack in October into the Marble Mtns. We parked at the trailhead outside a little town called Sawyers Bar and were on our way. About a half mile in we came to a fork in the trail that wasn’t shown on the map. Decided to take the right fork since it went uphill. After a couple hundred yards it started going downhill towards a creek. We were just deciding that we took the wrong fork when we came across a trashy, tarp covered makeshift encampment. We were confronted by 3 very unfriendly guys; one holding back a snarling German Shepherd and another holding a shotgun. They asked “what do you guys want?” “We’re heading into Hancock Lake.” “You took a wrong turn.” “Oh, OK, sorry.” Made a quick U-turn. Yikes! I am only, guessing but I’m pretty sure there was a grow somewhere nearby. Scared s- -tless! Thought I was going to get shot. Went back and took the left fork, which was the right one.

MtnFisher
06-16-2018, 10:02 AM
I wonder how much of the 14,000 lbs of the poisonous rodentcide quoted in this article wound up in New Melones and Comanche reservoir?

http://www.newsweek.com/2018/01/19/mexican-drug-cartels-taking-over-california-legal-marijuana-775665.html

(http://www.newsweek.com/2018/01/19/mexican-drug-cartels-taking-over-california-legal-marijuana-775665.html)Another one:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/03/backcountry-drug-war/521352/

Quoted from above article: "Gabriel and Thompson fear the poisons could spread far beyond each grow site and contaminate the water supply of towns and cities far downstream. The toxicants can leach into the soil and linger for years. Using water monitors, Gabriel has already found organophosphates—nerve agents used to make insecticides and certain types of chemical weapons—several hundred meters downhill from grow sites. “We know it’s happening, we just don’t know the extent, and we don’t know what other chemicals are involved,” he says."

I guess once people start going to their doctors with health issues will this problem start to gain Moonbeam's or the new governor's attention. By then, for many it will be too late.

I advise folks to pack heat when visiting the back country, something I've been doing the last 20yrs. Most folks are good but it only takes one bad one to ruin your day.

Folks mysteriously missing off hwy 108 are listed in this article and there are many illegal marijuana grows off the hwy 108 corridor. I have friends who have spotted drip lines in the ravines in this area:

https://www.uniondemocrat.com/localnews/4735782-151/donnell-vista-majestic-and-mystifying (https://www.uniondemocrat.com/localnews/4735782-151/donnell-vista-majestic-and-mystifying)

Stop by or visit one the National Forest offices in August or September and you might see the mountains of drip lines pulled up and eradicted from the illegal marijuana grows.

MtnFisher
06-16-2018, 10:16 AM
I always advise folks to pack heat if possible when visiting the backcountry in the Sierras. The CA penal code allows you to legally pack concealed firearms when fishing as well:

Section 25400 does not apply to, or affect, licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing expedition.

Keep a printed copy of this penal code with your fishing license when visiting the back country just in case.

Disclaimer: My posts are for informational purposes only, and not to be taken as legal advice.

Over the years I have been advised by several law enforcement officers to pack heat whenever visiting the NF. As one ranger stated "We can't help you if you get into trouble due to the remoteness of this region, cell phone coverage is very limited or non existant"

More bad news regarding the illegal use of toxic chemicals used for marijuana growing:

https://www.uniondemocrat.com/localnews/5578894-151/toxic-chemicals-in-illegal-pot-grows-raise-concerns

Jfitalia
06-16-2018, 10:59 AM
I always advise folks to pack heat if possible when visiting the backcountry in the Sierras. The CA penal code allows you to legally pack concealed firearms when fishing as well:

Section 25400 does not apply to, or affect, licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing expedition.

Keep a printed copy of this penal code with your fishing license when visiting the back country just in case.

My posts are for informational purposes only, and not legal advice. Over the years I have been advised by several law enforcement officers to pack heat whenever visiting the NF. As one ranger stated "We can't help you if you get into trouble due to the remoteness of this region, cell phone coverage is very limited or non existant"

More bad news regarding the illegal use of toxic chemicals used for marijuana growing:

https://www.uniondemocrat.com/localnews/5578894-151/toxic-chemicals-in-illegal-pot-grows-raise-concerns

You still cannot carry during archery season there is an exemption to that law stating such.

MtnFisher
06-16-2018, 11:02 AM
You still cannot carry during archery season there is an exemption to that law stating such.Yes, but there is pending legislation to change that just for the reasons I listed. Once finalized, one will be able to pack a sidearm when archery hunting in the future due to the threats posed by illegal marijuana growers on National Forests. I will try to find it and post soon.

MtnFisher
06-16-2018, 11:05 AM
Here it is, maybe a change soon:

California Fish and Game Commission to Allow Archery Hunters to Carry Firearms Following NRA and CRPA Petition

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

" Hunters often find themselves alone and isolated. Not having adequate means to protect themselves from predators and criminals puts them in danger. This is especially true with the increase of illegal marijuana grows in popular hunting areas, which are often patrolled by armed gang members willing to violently defend their crops." End of quote. See link for more info:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20180424/california-fish-and-game-commission-to-allow-archery-hunters-to-carry-firearms-following-nra-and-crpa-petition

Waterdog
06-16-2018, 11:46 AM
I started packing heat when out in the wilderness more than 40 years ago. Started carring for protection from 4 legged creatures but then decided 2 legged were the real threat. I actually carry 2, a 357 mag or a 44 mag revolver on my hip in plain sight and a 9 mm concealed. Call me paranoid, I don’t have a problem with that.
Saved my a$$ twice just by displaying it and another time I discharged it as a warning telling the 2 guys the next ones were going through their chest. It was in a simi-remote area before the days of cell phones and the 2 guys were clearly intent on robbing me.
Back in the early 80’s I was backpacking and came upon a pot grow. At first I thought wow look at all the pot plants but a second later it dawned on me that this was a very dangerous place to be. Luckily no one saw me and I didn’t see anyone and got out of there quick.
I cant imagine venturing into lonely, remote back country not being armed now a days.

MtnFisher
06-16-2018, 11:48 AM
Not to invoke paranoia, just raising awareness for your safety:

https://m.facebook.com/motherlodemissing411/posts

I also advise folks to carry a PLB along with their sidearm whenever visiting the back country. An excellent choice is the ACR ResQlink+:

https://www.amazon.com/ACR-PLB-375-ResQLink-Buoyant-Personal/dp/B006JXY0CQ

If one finds themselves in trouble and pinned down, they can activate their PLB. The sheriff dept receives GPS coordinates of your location immediately.

MtnFisher
06-16-2018, 12:00 PM
This individual came up missing near Sand Flat campground, a popular spot for fishermen in the Stanislaus NF:

http://www.modbee.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/jeff-jardine/article75249647.html

http://charleyproject.org/case/michael-larry-madden

A friend of mine and a LEO has a father who is an avid Sierra fisherman and used to fish the Sand Bar area told me about this incident about 8 yrs ago. His father packs a sidearm ever since it happened. My LEO friend advised me to never camp at this spot just for this reason.

Jfitalia
06-16-2018, 01:02 PM
Yes, but there is pending legislation to change that just for the reasons I listed. Once finalized, one will be able to pack a sidearm when archery hunting in the future due to the threats posed by illegal marijuana growers on National Forests. I will try to find it and post soon.

It's not finalized and until it is and put into law it's illegal and you'll lose your firearm. I'm just making sure the correct information is actually being given to the public. As it stands now you cannot carry during archery season

MtnFisher
06-16-2018, 01:28 PM
You still cannot carry during archery season there is an exemption to that law stating such.You are only correct if you were exclusively bowhunting for deer.

Currently Section 4370 of F&G code states under (b), a person taking or attempting to take deer during such archery season shall neither carry, nor have under his or her immediate control, any firearm of any kind.

End of quote.

So if one is bow hunting during deer season then no, they cannot carry a firearm.

However, if one is exclusively fishing on NF then they can legally carry a firearm under the exemption listed under PC 12027 as long as they were not in possession of any archery equipment.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2010/06/fish-and-game-qa.html

I personally have never had an issue while carrying carrying concealed or open carry on National Forest or BLM lands and that included many interactions with Game Wardens and NF Rangers during archery season. I also emailed a county Sheriff in the Sierras and he confirmed I could legally carry a firearm while fishing on NF land.

Its pretty much a no brainer, until the new law is finalized, one should not carry both a firearm and archery equipment together during the archery deer season.

Waterdog
06-16-2018, 01:53 PM
I agree with MtnFisher. A person is prohibited from carring a fire arm during archery deer season if you are engaged in archery/bow hunting. You can carry a firearm (where it’s legal to do so) during bow season if you are fishing, hiking or what ever as long as you are not bow hunting. I use it teach hunter safety and that is what we taught.