PDA

View Full Version : How far should I let my line Back?

EddieTee
06-20-2018, 03:02 PM
Going to hit Camanche up and was wondering how far should I let my line back if I'm 40 ft. down on the riggers. Also if I'm going to stack my downrigger cable lines at 35ft. and 45ft.what what would be the best distance for the two downriggers and four lines out
Thank You
Eddie:wileecoyote1:

twack
06-20-2018, 04:04 PM
Going to hit Camanche up and was wondering how far should I let my line back if I'm 40 ft. down on the riggers. Also if I'm going to stack my downrigger cable lines at 35ft. and 45ft.what what would be the best distance for the two downriggers and four lines out
Thank You
Eddie:wileecoyote1:

I've been using 90'-110' setbacks and been getting limits.
Last weekend I was catching bass below 40. I tried deeper and shallower. Shallower worked better @ 30'-35'. Your mileage may vary. :-)
Trolling speedies at 2.8/2.9 mph with 10 lb DR balls.

EddieTee
06-20-2018, 05:15 PM
Twack, may I ask you what kind of 10# downrigger weight do you use? :)

twack
06-20-2018, 05:33 PM
Twack, may I ask you what kind of 10# downrigger weight do you use? :)

Cannon weights using scotty connections on 250# braid. Have cannon manual DR's too. Uni-Troll STX 10's

Waterdog
06-20-2018, 05:58 PM
Eddie, sounds like you are a little new to trolling with DRís. I suggest you stick with 2 lines out until you have that mastered. With 4 lines out you and your passengers really need to know what you are doing or you will end up with unbelievable tangles. Each fisherman needs an assignment when you get a fish or 2 on.
For setbacks thereís no one right answer. In fact each angler may give you a slightly different answer. Youíll want longer setbacks if you are using a gas engine to troll. Shorter setbacks with an electric.
It also depends on the depth and the clarity of the water. A good basic starter guideline is the 100í rule. Depth and set back add up to 100. For example if you are 40í down use a 60í setback.
Camanche is pretty clear and I troll with a little gas kicker. So last time I was at Camanche I was down about 35í and my setback was between 75í to 90í. Itís better to have a little longer than you need than too short. When toplining I sometimes have a 200í plus setback, it all depends. It takes time and practice to decide what works best for you. Iíd say start with the 100í rule but give your setback an extra 10í to 30í.
You asked about DR weights. Just very briefly - I use 10lb ball weights. I like the 10 pounders because you get less blowback than with lighter weights and therefore you are more accurate with your lure depth. Heavier weights are good too but they make for slower retrieves, more work for the DR, and drain your battery faster.
One last thing, the hot lure at Camanchie for the last couple years has been speedy shiners. Get a few speedy shiners in red/copper, red/silver, fire tiger or rainbow trout. Troll them at 2.5 to 3mph. If you drag them by trout youíll catch em.
one last last thing, itís going to be 105 degrees up there on Saturday. There will probably be a zillion boaters, skiers, and jet skiers up there. Get there early and get off the water early, itís going to be a zoo. Be careful the usual lunatic boaters and jet skiers will be out in force. Let us know how you do. Tight lines.

Jfitalia
06-20-2018, 07:31 PM
I fished camanche until 11am today and landed 5 trout and two bass. Best depth was 30-35ft. I fished down to 45 feet all morning

Captain Compassion
06-20-2018, 07:58 PM
Love these threads with folks helping e:grinn:ach other. I'm just sayin'.

Jfitalia
06-20-2018, 08:46 PM
I forgot to add my rods at 30 and 35 feet had 100ft setbacks

Jetspray
06-21-2018, 04:04 AM
I forgot to add my rods at 30 and 35 feet had 100ft setbacks+1 and using line counter reels helps a bunch as well. Different types of lines make a little less blow back and allows you to use lighter DR weights. For me I like using Shuttle Hawks or something like them to keep from running the weights up & down a lot. You can also attach a line to the DR weight and a Shuttle Hawk above the snubber on the weight to "stack". It all takes getting used to but works quite well.........Jetspray

ampm
06-21-2018, 07:57 AM
Like waterdog said, its better to have setbacks too long rather than too short. The 100 ft rule is good. I have noticed on lakes where there is a lot of traffic, I do better with longer setbacks, even if I am trolling at 25-30 ft. I feel heavy traffic will spook trout, so if I am not getting hit, I start increasing the setbacks by 10 or 20 ft until I find out if it's working. On Collins the last few trips, I've done well at 20-30 ft with 120 ft setbacks.

916fisher
06-21-2018, 08:37 AM
Eddie, sounds like you are a little new to trolling with DRís. I suggest you stick with 2 lines out until you have that mastered. With 4 lines out you and your passengers really need to know what you are doing or you will end up with unbelievable tangles. Each fisherman needs an assignment when you get a fish or 2 on.
For setbacks thereís no one right answer. In fact each angler may give you a slightly different answer. Youíll want longer setbacks if you are using a gas engine to troll. Shorter setbacks with an electric.
It also depends on the depth and the clarity of the water. A good basic starter guideline is the 100í rule. Depth and set back add up to 100. For example if you are 40í down use a 60í setback.
Camanche is pretty clear and I troll with a little gas kicker. So last time I was at Camanche I was down about 35í and my setback was between 75í to 90í. Itís better to have a little longer than you need than too short. When toplining I sometimes have a 200í plus setback, it all depends. It takes time and practice to decide what works best for you. Iíd say start with the 100í rule but give your setback an extra 10í to 30í.
You asked about DR weights. Just very briefly - I use 10lb ball weights. I like the 10 pounders because you get less blowback than with lighter weights and therefore you are more accurate with your lure depth. Heavier weights are good too but they make for slower retrieves, more work for the DR, and drain your battery faster.
One last thing, the hot lure at Camanchie for the last couple years has been speedy shiners. Get a few speedy shiners in red/copper, red/silver, fire tiger or rainbow trout. Troll them at 2.5 to 3mph. If you drag them by trout youíll catch em.
one last last thing, itís going to be 105 degrees up there on Saturday. There will probably be a zillion boaters, skiers, and jet skiers up there. Get there early and get off the water early, itís going to be a zoo. Be careful the usual lunatic boaters and jet skiers will be out in force. Let us know how you do. Tight lines.

Thanks for the info. What size speedy shiners do you recommend?

Waterdog
06-21-2018, 09:33 AM
I have a bunch of 1/4oz and 1/6oz speedy shiners and use both of them.

Woodie
06-21-2018, 12:59 PM
I was going to comment but water dog done said everything that I would have said

Woodie
06-21-2018, 01:00 PM
I will be out there Monday or Tuesday or maybe both

Waterdog
06-21-2018, 05:30 PM
Hey Woodie, Iím hoping to get out there Tuesday , if I do maybe Iíll see you there. Iíll be in my boat pictured below.

BigUnInDaBoat
06-21-2018, 07:46 PM
when kokanee school up a downrigger ball will actually act as an attractor. When kokes are aggressive a 3-10' set back is all that's needed. Guys will even run ball trolls, I know guys that have rigged dodgers to their DR balls and killed it. When I fish for trout, if I'm toplining and the boat traffic is at wintertime status, 200' is not unheard of. At 20 feet I still do at least 80-100 (also depends on bait/lure), past that I drop it down, and if I stack rods much less, however I rarely stack rods unless I'm chasing different species, or Kokes.

EddieTee
06-22-2018, 08:05 AM
Thanks everyone, I went out to Comanche Thursday caught 2 bass and 3 trout from 6:30am to 10:00. Had to leave early because of boat issues.

Thanks again
Eddie Tee