PDA

View Full Version : Alpine County. ICR and West Carson.

Captain Compassion
06-20-2018, 05:50 PM
Hit Alpine County early with JB Fishing. We arrived at Indian Creek at 0530 and fished around the ramp below the day use area. The fishing was slow but we got 3 trout early. One was a nice 2.5# fish that Jeff kept one for the smoker. Around 0830 we left ICR for a look at the West Carson. We quickly found fish about a mile above Woodsfords. We fished here around 2 hours with small plastics and brought 23 more trout to the shore. These were the best CDFW stockers I have seen in Alpine County in 3 years. Keep it up guys. The river levels are coming down. The river was near perfect. Thanks for the ride Jeff. A wonderful day.

CC

ICR Morning
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/062018-01.jpg

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/062018-02.jpg

Fish for Jeff
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/062018-03.jpg

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/062018-04.jpg

West Carson
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/062018-05.jpg

They're Here
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/062018-06.jpg

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/062018-07.jpg

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/062018-08.jpg

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/062018-09.jpg

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/062018-10.jpg

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/062018-11.jpg

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/062018-12.jpg

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/062018-13.jpg

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/062018-14.jpg

gbslade
06-21-2018, 05:32 AM
I believe the rainbows are stocked by Alpine County. CDFW stocks Cutthroat.

Captain Compassion
06-21-2018, 07:27 AM
I believe the rainbows are stocked by Alpine County. CDFW stocks Cutthroat.

CDFW stocks triploid rainbows in all waters in Alpine County. CDFW also stocks LCT in ICR, Red Lake and occasionally the Carson. Alpine County stocks triploid rainbows from the Desert Springs Trout Farm in Summer Lake Oregon. These fish are usually 1 pound plus. The trout in the 3rd picture is an Alpine County stocked fish.

fishwrong2
06-21-2018, 08:04 AM
Nice report as always.

One thing I've battled with has been uncertainty about how to respond to these posts of catching a limit, plus 16 additional fish. I do appreciate the reports, and don't want to be negative, but I don't support some of the things I read and see. There is certainly nothing wrong with catch and release, and it doesn't violate any law if done correctly, but there is a reality to how many fish get killed in a day's fishing. A properly handled fish has a mortality rate after being caught, and that's a reality to anyone who fishes, myself at the head of the list. I personally feel that if I kill 5 fish in a day, I've reached my limit. If a person keeps three and releases two "floaters" I feel they've met their limit for the day too. The line gets very gray, very quickly when trying to anticipate which ones will die if dropped on the sand, or in the dirt, or gut hooked, or even held out of the water for a while. I think the benefit of the doubt is an important thing to give to anyone in most circumstances. However, I've personally witnessed the action reported in prior posts, and the sugar cookie coating, 5' triple backflip release didn't meet that criteria.

Again, I appreciate reports, and anyone who follows the letter of the law, just would like to see our crowd as a whole, acknowledge and embrace the spirit of the law. Enjoy our resource, take what's fair and legal, and brag to anyone who will listen, but please only take from the community well, what's anyone's fair share.

Troutbead
06-21-2018, 09:05 AM
Nice report as always.

One thing I've battled with has been uncertainty about how to respond to these posts of catching a limit, plus 16 additional fish. I do appreciate the reports, and don't want to be negative, but I don't support some of the things I read and see. There is certainly nothing wrong with catch and release, and it doesn't violate any law if done correctly, but there is a reality to how many fish get killed in a day's fishing. A properly handled fish has a mortality rate after being caught, and that's a reality to anyone who fishes, myself at the head of the list. I personally feel that if I kill 5 fish in a day, I've reached my limit. If a person keeps three and releases two "floaters" I feel they've met their limit for the day too. The line gets very gray, very quickly when trying to anticipate which ones will die if dropped on the sand, or in the dirt, or gut hooked, or even held out of the water for a while. I think the benefit of the doubt is an important thing to give to anyone in most circumstances. However, I've personally witnessed the action reported in prior posts, and the sugar cookie coating, 5' triple backflip release didn't meet that criteria.

Again, I appreciate reports, and anyone who follows the letter of the law, just would like to see our crowd as a whole, acknowledge and embrace the spirit of the law. Enjoy our resource, take what's fair and legal, and brag to anyone who will listen, but please only take from the community well, what's anyone's fair share.

I think it's fine to catch and release if you just take a few precautions. Pinch your barbs, use a catch and release net like this.....
http://www.flyshack.com/DisplayItem.aspx?ItemID=116158&src=froogle&gclid=CjwKCAjwma3ZBRBwEiwA-CsblB9WqvKruChunBw9SvEWYw0Lx-S5gMpwf0K9WiOcyHK5Qd57q152EhoC81cQAvD_BwE ....., de-hook with some pliers, and don't handle the fish. CC has it dialed in. Enjoy reading his reports. He catches some gorgeous fish.

breezin
06-21-2018, 09:19 AM
Great report and pictures! Thanks for sharing!

GR8ANGLER
06-21-2018, 10:39 AM
Nice report as always.

These are all put n take fish that are raised in hatcheries meant just for this purpose. If this was a Wild Trout Fishery with special regulations I could see your point, but it's not. Not even close to that. Hoping the ones in the pictures with the death grip were kept for the table and not tried to be returned to the river. Properly releasing fish is a tricky business. A lot of factors play into the mortality of fish caught. Water temperature, oxygenation of the water, how long the fish fights, etc. However, as a general rule you should not take a fish out of the water if you plan to release the fish. Use a net and remove the hook as quickly as possible, keep the fish wet and then release. If the fish swallows a hook simply cut the leader near the mouth and the fish will do fine if the other measures are followed.

Good job CC and keep always keep your line tight!

Captain Compassion
06-21-2018, 10:46 AM
Nice report as always.

If no laws are broken then no harm is done. I rarely keep fish but I have little problem with those fishing with me keeping some. As a general rule I don't engage in behavior shaming or virtue singling where fishing is concerned. I report what is to the best of my limited ability. Those who are bothered by my reports need not read them.

CC

fishwrong2
06-21-2018, 01:22 PM
Tried very hard to keep the comments high level and generic, and unless it's bashing someone, I generally just don't comment on things I have a negative response to, but this issue is an exception.

One response was this is a put and take fishery, not wild fish. I agree, but it still has value to many. If five of the released fish die (26 caught, not sure how many released) that's a limit for someone else that isn't in the river. With all the griping that goes on about the plants that don't get made anymore, I would think others would want the fish we get to go as far as possible. I applaud taking along others who don't get out much, and having them keep their limit, that's what they're for. But, grabbing a big handful of mints out of the bowl at the reception desk violates the kindergarten lesson of sharing with others, and so does killing a bunch of fish, knowingly or otherwise.

Another response was, if proper catch and release techniques are followed, it's OK. Again, I'm on board if reasonable precautions are taken, and floaters/sinkers are considered part of the limit. I wasn't there for this trip, but, I have personally witnessed this reporters "dialed-in" release techniques twice, and if it wasn't obvious before, it should be now. It left an impression. I'll leave it at that.

Catch what you want, release what you want, just keep in mind what is being left behind when you leave. If everyone's conscience is clear, then nothing else much matters.

Jfitalia
06-21-2018, 02:09 PM
These are all put n take fish that are raised in hatcheries meant just for this purpose. If this was a Wild Trout Fishery with special regulations I could see your point, but it's not. Not even close to that. Hoping the ones in the pictures with the death grip were kept for the table and not tried to be returned to the river. Properly releasing fish is a tricky business. A lot of factors play into the mortality of fish caught. Water temperature, oxygenation of the water, how long the fish fights, etc. However, as a general rule you should not take a fish out of the water if you plan to release the fish. Use a net and remove the hook as quickly as possible, keep the fish wet and then release. If the fish swallows a hook simply cut the leader near the mouth and the fish will do fine if the other measures are followed.

Good job CC and keep always keep your line tight!

Legally speaking once you catch and keep five you're done and cannot continue to fish for trout. If you choose to catch and release prior to your 5. Than you shouldn't remove them from the water, and squeeze them for a picture

Jetspray
06-21-2018, 02:13 PM
Tried very hard to keep the comments high level and generic, and unless it's bashing someone, I generally just don't comment on things I have a negative response to, but this issue is an exception.

One response was this is a put and take fishery, not wild fish. I agree, but it still has value to many. If five of the released fish die (26 caught, not sure how many released) that's a limit for someone else that isn't in the river. With all the griping that goes on about the plants that don't get made anymore, I would think others would want the fish we get to go as far as possible. I applaud taking along others who don't get out much, and having them keep their limit, that's what they're for. But, grabbing a big handful of mints out of the bowl at the reception desk violates the kindergarten lesson of sharing with others, and so does killing a bunch of fish, knowingly or otherwise.

Another response was, if proper catch and release techniques are followed, it's OK. Again, I'm on board if reasonable precautions are taken, and floaters/sinkers are considered part of the limit. I wasn't there for this trip, but, I have personally witnessed this reporters "dialed-in" release techniques twice, and if it wasn't obvious before, it should be now. It left an impression. I'll leave it at that.

Catch what you want, release what you want, just keep in mind what is being left behind when you leave. If everyone's conscience is clear, then nothing else much matters.
I have fished with Richard for many years, in all sorts of places and heard and read many complaints about his methods and picture taking and equipment he uses. To me he is a great fishing partner and we rarely have bad releases., the equipment we use especially hooks are only to save the fish. In February I caught a 6 lb'er at Topaz and netted it. We had it back in the water to release it as I knew the fish was tuckered out, Richard noticed a tag on it, so we quickly retrieved it and put it on a stringer which was not placed to harm the fish in case it got loose. That day I caught a second trout and decided to take them home after a weigh in. I got first and second place for the month and with the tag I came away with about $225 and a chance to get some free gear. It is the only fish I kept this year. ICR also has resident Bald Eagles and Osprey that eat the fish, if one does float I am sure they are picked up quickly.........Jetspray

Jetspray
06-21-2018, 02:17 PM
Legally speaking once you catch and keep five you're done and cannot continue to fish for trout. If you choose to catch and release prior to your 5. Than you shouldn't remove them from the water, and squeeze them for a pictureJust for the record I hold mine and release them as well as I can, most of the time on the boat I weight them in a net and have yard sticks on the sides of the boat to measure them in the net. It's all good........Jetspray

Captain Compassion
06-21-2018, 04:22 PM
Tried very hard to keep the comments high level and generic, and unless it's bashing someone, I generally just don't comment on things I have a negative response to, but this issue is an exception..

If you want to whine and virtue single to make yourself feel better about yourself then start your own topic. Don't step on mine.

CC

fishwrong2
06-21-2018, 04:36 PM
If you want to whine and virtue single to make yourself feel better about yourself then start your own topic. Don't step on mine.

CC

I've said my peace. You've heard it. I hope some of it sinks in. If not, nothing much more to be done. Look forward to future reports, and if I see you on the river, I'll introduce myself and hope to shake your hand.

Good fishing.

Jetspray
06-21-2018, 07:17 PM
I've said my peace. You've heard it. I hope some of it sinks in. Piece, not peace, Read, not heard, Sinks, really, sorry you don't move out of that state anyway.:fish_jumps:........Jetspray

PMR#9
06-21-2018, 07:33 PM
Not going to sugar coat it .The fish we are catching and returning to the water are paid for before they ever hit are awesome rivers we have to fish.You however have the choice to keep it or return it

Jfitalia
06-21-2018, 08:02 PM
Just for the record I hold mine and release them as well as I can, most of the time on the boat I weight them in a net and have yard sticks on the sides of the boat to measure them in the net. It's all good........Jetspray

I'm not pointing fingers i'm just speaking in general terms. A wet hand and gently holding a fish isnt the end of the world.

PMR#9
06-21-2018, 08:15 PM
Just for the record I hold mine and release them as well as I can, most of the time on the boat I weight them in a net and have yard sticks on the sides of the boat to measure them in the net. It's all good........Jetspray

I have seen the pictures Richard posts of your fish .What the hell would you need a yard stick or a scale for .Just joking .This post needs a little humor

Jetspray
06-22-2018, 01:34 AM
I have seen the pictures Richard posts of your fish .What the hell would you need a yard stick or a scale for .Just joking .This post needs a little humorWell since my eyes are not that good anymore and my hands can hold a basketball suspended under one hand most fish look small to me. And might I remind you that most fishermen/women lie about size anyway. As far as a scale it just works and is helpful to have something to do so the most popular one is a de-liar one.........Jetspray

Jetspray
06-22-2018, 01:36 AM
I'm not pointing fingers i'm just speaking in general terms. A wet hand and gently holding a fish isnt the end of the world.Yeah it is wet hands that hold certain things from time to time, especially when I get up first thing in the morning:bananacheese::bananacheese::bananacheese:: bananacheese::bananacheese:......Jetspray