PDA

View Full Version : Misinformation on cascade lake

sarahpee
06-27-2018, 12:18 PM
Been going to Tahoe for quite some time, and was always curious about cascade lake. I was wondering why/how such a beautiful lake could be off limits/private when it is located on national forest land? Well the fact is, it's not off limits or private, and you don't need anyone's permission (as someone stated in a previous post - you needed some family's permission) to fish it or hike along its banks.

Does anyone know why, and can explain how this is? And please don't state your opinion or conjecture, if you know the facts please post here. I'm sure many others can benefit from learning what the truth is, instead of myth, rumors, or conjecture.

i have gone into cascade & fished it a few times, and on 2 occasions took in my mini boat (walker bay 8) on a cart & launched it just past the forest service cabins on the north side of the lake. If anyone had comfronted me, or claimed I was trespassing on "their" land/lake, I would have encouraged them to contact the local law enforcement, as I know what the law is in respect to national forest land...so how is this possible?

IronClad
06-27-2018, 12:50 PM
The biggest issue in the fishing community i've found is the sheer misinformation. This is generally due to people not actually looking at the rules and regulations/calling F&G to confirm but instead relying on asking someone via internet or a friend or family member, who more often than not head what the rule is from someone else who hear it from their brother in laws cousin who heard it from some friend's uncle that heard it... you see where i'm going with this. That's how things like this start.

MKE
06-27-2018, 01:01 PM
90% of the land around the lake is private this includes the shoreline the access road and of course the property that the houses are on and they don't own the water. But there is a sliver of Forest Service property that you can access the lake from if you know where to go. I have heard this from the Ebright family and the U.S. forest service.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

fishwrong2
06-27-2018, 05:05 PM
Worth looking into. Heard the same things and never did the research. Applaud the concept, but would want to be sure before I tried it.

TahoeJeff1
06-28-2018, 06:42 AM
MKE is absolutely correct. The only public land is on the west side where the inlet creek comes in. And again as MKE stated, it is only a small percentage of the lake. The cabins on the north sided are in fact on private property, as are all the cabins on the lake. Had an owner confronted you sarahpee, and the El Dorado sheriff called, you would almost certainly be told to leave or cited for trespass. The property boundary information can be looked up on the El Dorado Co GIS website.

MKE
06-28-2018, 06:59 AM
MKE is absolutely correct. The only public land is on the west side where the inlet creek comes in. And again as MKE stated, it is only a small percentage of the lake. The cabins on the north sided are in fact on private property, as are all the cabins on the lake. Had an owner confronted you sarahpee, and the El Dorado sheriff called, you would almost certainly be told to leave or cited for trespass. The property boundary information can be looked up on the El Dorado Co GIS website.Thanks for chiming in Jeff. I know you're an expert on property in El Dorado County.
On a side note have you been out Kokanee fishing? It's been red hot the last few weeks for us.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

chubbswheeler
06-28-2018, 03:45 PM
So I have a feeling this "misinformation" is from my post the other day... As far as my cousins uncle, I have never met him. But last year boat trouble on Tahoe made us have to Beach the boat on Cascade estates property specifically the "Ebright estate". I had to contact the land owner Brig Ebright and get help with our vessel. While he was so very nice to assist us with our troubles even though starting to snow and he was already busy with his horses I asked about Cascade. I asked if it's ok to be there and from the man himself " if these people had the decency to approach me and ask permission I'd more than likely allow them to enjoy the lake. The problem is most don't and get kicked out." My uncle has never been there but I have Knowingly snuck in and out of the 4 times was kicked out twice. I understand that you can access from the Cascade falls area but there isn't much lake access and yes the trail around the lake IS PRIVATE. Do your homework. It's better "internet" fisherman just stay at your desk. Oh and MKE sorry I liked twice and that = dislike. My bad. But ya your right. I just didn't need to elaborate or argue with any of these anglers. Better to keep em from being towed and cited. Because it will happen. If you can't read my profile says I'm from Meyers not Concord. And yes I am being defensive....😋

MtnFisher
06-30-2018, 01:38 PM
So I have a feeling this "misinformation" is from my post the other day... As far as my cousins uncle, I have never met him. But last year boat trouble on Tahoe made us have to Beach the boat on Cascade estates property specifically the "Ebright estate". I had to contact the land owner Brig Ebright and get help with our vessel. While he was so very nice to assist us with our troubles even though starting to snow and he was already busy with his horses I asked about Cascade. I asked if it's ok to be there and from the man himself " if these people had the decency to approach me and ask permission I'd more than likely allow them to enjoy the lake. The problem is most don't and get kicked out." My uncle has never been there but I have Knowingly snuck in and out of the 4 times was kicked out twice. I understand that you can access from the Cascade falls area but there isn't much lake access and yes the trail around the lake IS PRIVATE. Do your homework. It's better "internet" fisherman just stay at your desk. Oh and MKE sorry I liked twice and that = dislike. My bad. But ya your right. I just didn't need to elaborate or argue with any of these anglers. Better to keep em from being towed and cited. Because it will happen. If you can't read my profile says I'm from Meyers not Concord. And yes I am being defensive....[emoji39]I'm glad there is some private land there. The landowners care about the lake and keep the riff raff out!

Those who put in the effort to obtain permission are rewarded with unspoiled waters and serve as additional watchdogs.

At least this has been my experience when fishing or hunting privately controlled access.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

sarahpee
07-09-2018, 11:30 AM
Fishing report, 10 yrs ago, rainbows, Browns, & a few cutts. Current fishing report: about 4/5 years ago fish & game put in gill nets to eradicate all fish. These nets were left in place for quite a while, like over 3 years, no gill nets remain when I was in there a few days ago. Even though I don't have first hand info, I can assume they have planted only cutts back into the lake. I don't know how this will hold up, having intimate knowledge of the lake, it's feeder creek, as well as its drainage creek into Tahoe. Different species of fish can still enter cascade lake from both upstream & downstream. So in my opinion gill nets on cascade were completely illogical.

So question to the experts: the land is private in most areas that are between the lake and the road (hiway)...so what about the lake itself? Say you flew in on an ultra-light pontoon & started fishing just off the shoreline in front of one of the cabins? Do the cabin owners also own the lake itself?

fishwrong2
07-09-2018, 12:03 PM
so what about the lake itself? Say you flew in on an ultra-light pontoon & started fishing just off the shoreline in front of one of the cabins?

Please send videos when you try this one..... If it works, I've got a zip line and ACME rocket idea I saw once as a kid....

TahoeJeff1
07-09-2018, 02:47 PM
F&G did not gill net Cascade.

ferdz
07-09-2018, 07:08 PM
Please send videos when you try this one..... If it works, I've got a zip line and ACME rocket idea I saw once as a kid....

That would be an interesting video. Share some when you have

sarahpee
07-13-2018, 02:51 PM
Yes cascade was gill netted, two separate sets of nets with pylons near the inlet, for approx a 2 year period. I don't know who set the nets, but they were there.

TahoeJeff1
07-14-2018, 07:08 AM
That is a water ski slalom course set up only in the Summer.