PDA

View Full Version : Edison 6/29-7/1

Snowtrout
07-05-2018, 07:36 AM
After not fishing Edison in the past 10 plus years, some friends of ours invited us to join them on a journey into this high sierra lake. For those not familiar with this drive, it is 20 miles from Huntington lake with 17 of it being a one lane road that was last paved probably back in the 60's. Last time I drove in there, it took a little over an hour to drive these 20 miles. This trip, it took 1:45--the smooth parts I remembered are now rough and the rough parts I remembered are even worse. Even going slowly beat the crap out of our truck, boat and trailer. This road is probably the worst road in the state that leads to a resort, and might only be topped by the road to Bowman (from what I have heard) for the worst paved road to a reservoir. :nerves:

On to the fishing.

Launching was easy off the launch ramp that needs some serious repair. Water temps were between 65-68 degrees, depending on the part of the lake, and the water was clear with around 13' of visibility. With the water this warm and clear, I setup the downriggers and started trolling a bay across from the dam. After trying varying depths, I found active fish between 30-40'. Caught two that night before it got too dark. The next morning I tried toplining the dam, nothing. Tried the north side, nada. But once the sun came up, I got two nice browns on the NE shoreline near mono creek. I then jumped out to the flats on the east side of the lake and started trolling off the downriggers in the 30-35' range. Caught 3 before the wind made it a bit too rough. Later in the evening, I went back to the bay area I fished the night before and was able to catch a few browns including one rainbow. The next day, I went straight to the downriggers since it was clear the fish were not in the shallows. This time, I could not find the fish. Every area seemed devoid of fish but I was lucky to get one little 12" brown. Tried the afternoon bite and the fish were back. Caught 6 and lost 3. Went out again in the evening and caught another 5.

Overall, my boat caught over 20 browns, with most in the 15-17" range and two at 20", and 1 nice 16" rainbow. Big Rapala's and swimbaits did work but large spoons caught a majority of the fish. I saw very few fish shallow with most fish seen and caught between 25-45'. If one wants to fish up here, make sure you have downriggers or leadcore. Fish are out in the depths and won't return to the shallows regularly until the water cools in the fall.

Overall, great fishing trip. Would love to go back this fall but that road might be a little to rough for my new boat to go through again.

Waterdog
07-05-2018, 10:17 AM
Nice report, great fishing trip.
:areportmq5:
Where’s the pics?

MtnFisher
07-05-2018, 10:53 AM
Edison experienced some serious low water levels during the drought but some fish survived as you found out.

Nice report, thank you!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ferdz
07-05-2018, 07:36 PM
Nice fishing report and sounds a great place to fish. Bumping for pics.

Snowtrout
07-07-2018, 07:04 AM
Mtnfisher, when I fished this lake a lot in the early 2000's, even when the water level was around 10%, there were parts of the lake that still had +30' of water. Plus with three creeks feeding into it, the water will have a difficult time becoming stagnant. So the drought didn't do too much damage. Plenty of fish still in there but not too many have moved into the area from the launch to VVR.

Sorry guys, tried to add a photo but got the message "upload failed" multiple times. :computer:

MtnFisher
07-07-2018, 09:16 AM
Mtnfisher, when I fished this lake a lot in the early 2000's, even when the water level was around 10%, there were parts of the lake that still had +30' of water. Plus with three creeks feeding into it, the water will have a difficult time becoming stagnant. So the drought didn't do too much damage. Plenty of fish still in there but not too many have moved into the area from the launch to VVR.

Sorry guys, tried to add a photo but got the message "upload failed" multiple times. :computer:

That's great news! I saw some photos of Edison during the drought and it looked almost dry! Mammoth Pool also took a big hit but I saw on another forum several big browns were caught there recently.

Snowtrout
07-07-2018, 01:23 PM
Mammoth Pool had a very different situation that led to a huge reported fish kill. Rainbows have been planted but the browns are scheduled to go in this fall. Any browns left came in from the river/creeks that feed it, so very few are in the lake (according to DFW biologist). Would love to know what site reported any browns being caught since that is news (really good news if true) to me.

CrappieJed
07-08-2018, 05:47 PM
I would like to see kokes in Edison, give the Browns a good chance getting in the double digits

MtnFisher
07-09-2018, 05:30 AM
Mammoth Pool had a very different situation that led to a huge reported fish kill. Rainbows have been planted but the browns are scheduled to go in this fall. Any browns left came in from the river/creeks that feed it, so very few are in the lake (according to DFW biologist). Would love to know what site reported any browns being caught since that is news (really good news if true) to me.I pm'd you a link.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk