PDA

View Full Version : Skinnin' a Cat

fishfinder42
01-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Hello my fellow Cat Fishermen, Welcome to my underground lair... J/K ;D
I was just curious if any of you guys had any special methods of cleaning catfish. I have poked around online and tried to learn from some books but could never quite get it right. It always ends up messier when I do it and doesn't come out looking clean. I've got a fillet board and fish skinners which helped a little, but I still don't think I'm doing it right. Any tips or things that have worked for you would be great. Thanks a lot and tight lines to all.

B-RAN
01-07-2008, 09:30 PM
it seems pretty gross but i just cook them with the skin on and then the skin just peels off when your done :-/

MB_Kevin
01-08-2008, 12:29 AM
I just fillet them like I do other fish. *It really helps to have a good electric fillet knife for the main cut to get threw the bones. *Then I use a regular fillet knife to cut off the skin. *Some people seem to make a big deal out of it by nailing there heads to a board and pulling off the skin and all but I don't know why.

Like this guy. *He must spend days cleaning a limit but it is funny....Not for those with weak stomachs.

skinnin' a cat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edsJOuwcRKg)

TeleComCal
01-08-2008, 07:55 AM
I've done it both ways. Easiest way for me to get the skin off, fillet out the fish, the starting at the tail ( with a good and sharp fillet knife ) cut down about 1/4 inch from the endat about 45 degrees, slice to the skin then cut away from the tail. After you have a bout and inch of sking available, hold onto that with one hand ( thumb pressing down ) and glide your knife up and out. Thats how I do it anyway, if I want the skin off.

fishfinder42
01-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Do you lose much meat when you cut away the skin instead of pealing it off?

Thanks for tips guys. I did think that you had to clip it to the board and peel the skin off, that's what I had been trying to do. PITA!!! Thanks for letting me know some easier ways, you guys are awesome. I'll try it when the weather is better for cats. Thanks again all!!!

Fin
01-08-2008, 07:29 PM
I know this probably sounds funny, but it has worked for me... I pop the catfish in the freezer for a little while to kill them (or severly slow them down...) and then I fillet them. Generally, if I put them in the freezer first thing when I get home, by the time I've got everything else put away and cleaned up, they're ready to go. An added advantage: cooler fish are easier to fillet than room temperature fish.

Good luck.

oldfisherman
01-08-2008, 08:30 PM
I've not cleaned any for sometime but what I remember my grandfather doing and it worked very nicely was to drive a nail thru the fish head and into a large plank. Then cut behind the gill and peel the skin off from the gilll to the tail. After that fillet as you would any other fish.

TeleComCal
01-09-2008, 12:20 AM
I don't loose any meat. I use to work in a seafood department, so I have had a little experience, but no meat loss.

fishfinder42
01-09-2008, 08:57 AM
OK, I'll give the fillet thing a try. I think the freezer will help too, thank guys!!! 8-)

steveo79
01-09-2008, 09:49 PM
I have big metal hook, on a stout chain. I cut the skin sround the head, and then down the back, hang it from the hook, about head high for good leverage, grab the skin with skinners, or pliers, and pull it right down to the tail. Comes off in a couple pieces. Pan size, I gut and cook whole, bigger ones I fillet out.

Diamond_Star
01-10-2008, 01:56 AM
The way I clean and if I want to skin my cat is boil a pot of water, dip em in it....scrape all the gooey stuff off then skin em if I want to(just cut a slit anywhere and skin em away).. I find it easier that way.