PDA

View Full Version : Last 2 day at Pyramid -- EPIC!!

Snifferman
07-05-2018, 04:32 PM
We hit Pyramid on Friday and Saturday to end the season. By far -- the best fishing of my life!!
A side note -- I have a clicker/counter in the Rogue Jet Coastal to keep track of hot bites for kokanee, stripers, and now trout. Long story short -- John and I landed 145 cutthroat in those 2 days -- mostly trolling, but we did a little jigging on Friday. In 2 days -- John got his 10 pounder -- actually 10 lb 8 oz. in the scale -- plus we had 3 fish over 9 pounds, 7 fish over 8 pounds, and couldn't tell you how many 5, 6, and 7 pounders! We fished the north end of Hell's Kitchen and into Fox bay and the trout were everywhere! We would be playing a nice fish and watch half a dozen other fish swimming in with them! I was using cannonball flashers -- several times I had the downrigger up with the flashers just a foot under the surface, right next to the running kicker motor and saw several nice trout zoom by looking at the flashers. They were acting like sharks instead of trout.
Best lures were Silver Horde 4 inch spoons in chartruese and orange, red/orange Tasmanian Devils, red dot frog Lymans, watermelon Apex. It didn't really seem to matter. Speed was 2.2 to 2.5. Fishing in Shallow water??? I don't know why the trout were in water 20 to 40 feet deep with a surface temp of 72 degrees, but they were there! Even had a Pelican come in and steal a 5 pounder -- and my spoon! Our Partners did equally well, but they didn't have a counter to keep track.
Last year we had some great fishing in June, but this year the average size trout had to be at least 2 pounds heavier than last year. If this keeps up - I Can't wait for next year!!! What a way to end the season! Tried to upload photos but didn't work I'll try again later.

okie
07-05-2018, 04:38 PM
We hit Pyramid on Friday and Saturday to end the season. By far -- the best fishing of my life!!
A side note -- I have a clicker/counter in the Rogue Jet Coastal to keep track of hot bites for kokanee, stripers, and now trout. Long story short -- John and I landed 145 cutthroat in those 2 days -- mostly trolling, but we did a little jigging on Friday. In 2 days -- John got his 10 pounder -- actually 10 lb 8 oz. in the scale -- plus we had 3 fish over 9 pounds, 7 fish over 8 pounds, and couldn't tell you how many 5, 6, and 7 pounders! We fished the north end of Hell's Kitchen and into Fox bay and the trout were everywhere! We would be playing a nice fish and watch half a dozen other fish swimming in with them! I was using cannonball flashers -- several times I had the downrigger up with the flashers just a foot under the surface, right next to the running kicker motor and saw several nice trout zoom by looking at the flashers. They were acting like sharks instead of trout.
Best lures were Silver Horde 4 inch spoons in chartruese and orange, red/orange Tasmanian Devils, red dot frog Lymans, watermelon Apex. It didn't really seem to matter. Speed was 2.2 to 2.5. Fishing in Shallow water??? I don't know why the trout were in water 20 to 40 feet deep with a surface temp of 72 degrees, but they were there! Even had a Pelican come in and steal a 5 pounder -- and my spoon! Our Partners did equally well, but they didn't have a counter to keep track.
Last year we had some great fishing in June, but this year the average size trout had to be at least 2 pounds heavier than last year. If this keeps up - I Can't wait for next year!!! What a way to end the season! Tried to upload photos but didn't work I'll try again later.

ending of last years season, don and I landed 59 on the 28th and 47 on the 30. best 2 days we've had. maybe
they know all that 'fancy bait' is going away for awhile. thanks for the report.
be safe

Sierraguy
07-05-2018, 05:47 PM
It was indeed the greatest fishing of my 59 year life! Why those fish were teaming in that area on a warm summer day defied all the rules. These fish just seem to be getting larger and larger. 145 fish caught.. 144 released..and 1 to an agressive hungry pelican!

jive0400
07-06-2018, 06:53 PM
Yes we were out too. Good days by all. Average fish was 22-28" And fish all over the place on radar.:clap: