PDA

View Full Version : Terrible Ice House

dfishing1
07-15-2018, 05:13 PM
I have been coming to Ice House over 20 years. On Saturday, I went up there in search of some relief from the valley heat. Mind you, this WAS mostly a FISHING lake. Well the campgrounds were FULL to the brim, there were more ski boats, party barges and jet skis than fishing boats. In the heat of summer I have always been able to limit out at 5-8 colors of leadcore and a 5/8 ounce weight with a dodger and needlefish. On this day however the lake became an ocean with wake surfers, discourteous boaters, tubers and people that who have been on a jet ski for their first time, and paddle boarders (Driving between me and the shore within 50 feet and all around even seeming to intentionally drive between the bank and my boat). The paddle boarders were so close I could have hooked one if I wanted to. We needless to say WE scraped up 3 Measly 11.5 inch (fish and wildlife) planters (White meat). What has happened to this place? We used to really clean house on some quality fish. SMUD says they will plant 8750 pounds of Mt Lassen bows this year. Ill believe it when I see it.

Ever been down the 395? They plant fish weekly or every other week and the fishing is phenominal! Not up north, What is the American River fish hatchery doing with all those fish in the raceways?

American Land and Leisure manages the area and there is no more use of the golden age passes for 1/2 off or forest service passes. They posted NO TRAILER parking in the Handicapped spots and guess what? A Handicapped vehicle WITH JET SKI trailer was parked there. (Who are you fooling?) I had a handicapped person that I took and didn't park there because it said NO TRAILERS. Great implementation of the rules AMERICAN LAND AND LEISURE!

I would have to say Ice House is ruined.

WhopperStopper
07-15-2018, 05:40 PM
I took some newbie friends up there last weekend for free fishing day and experienced the same. I expected many fisherman, but was unpleasantly surprised by more rude and/or unknowlegable pleasure crafters with no etiquette or common sense. The quality of the trout was also very sad. All were dinks.

SteelyMan
07-15-2018, 06:22 PM
Everybody seems to have a Jet Ski, Scadoo, Party Barge, Cheap Pleasure Boat, $ 75,000 Ski Boat Ect.
Nice 4x4 tow vehicle,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and they live in Mommy's Basement. :disturbed:

panther
07-15-2018, 07:04 PM
There have been NO TROUT PLANTS ANYWHERE in the north central area since the week of June 26.
Disgraceful! And right in the peak of the summer season.

Jetspray
07-15-2018, 07:44 PM
It is the advangage in most cases to fish Monday thru Thursday on most lakes. Being retired for 12 years now not much has changed. Most people are used to driving a car or truck, but have absolutely no idea of water craft and right of way. They don't know what can happen until they get into a major accident on the water ways. It is only getting worse and not better.......Jetspray

BigBass77
07-15-2018, 07:46 PM
That’s to bad about icehouse. I get how pleasure boating and water lice activities can be fun. With that said, they frustrate the hell out of me, no boating or ramp etiquette whatsoever. I love how most rec boaters wait until they are on the ramp to load up all of their accomplices belonging from multiple different vehicles, as if there wasn’t a giant parking lot with plenty of room to do that exact thing. Or how they have a boat filled with of age drivers but only one person that actually knows how to back up a trailer or drive a boat ( I am using both of those actions very losely), they have to clog up a boat dock while they wait for that single person. I could go on and on but enough of that rant. Was at Loon on Saturday. Limited out in an hour using my usual worm and dodger. Nothing giant but a couple of quality fish. Four red meat, one white.

Waterdog
07-15-2018, 08:08 PM
Welcome to California. I think what the OP describes is typical of lakes here during the summer on weekends. The smaller the lake the more crowded it is. There are only a couple ways to deal with it.1) fish lakes like Pardee where skiing, pwc are not allowed. 2) fish during the week if you can. 3) limit fishing to early early morning to 10 or 11. 4) don’t fish during the summer. I don’t like it but I don’t think there are any other options.

Owlman2
07-16-2018, 04:53 AM
I hate that sort of thing so much, that between May and September, I generally won't fish any lake that has a boat ramp. I take my kayak to small waterways on which the lice cannot launch, or bank fish remote locations, or night fish.

It is not just personal preference, but also safety concerns. When in a kayak, the odds of getting run over by a ski boat (while the driver is looking backwards) are very real.

Woodie
07-16-2018, 05:03 AM
Welcome to California. I think what the OP describes is typical of lakes here during the summer on weekends. The smaller the lake the more crowded it is. There are only a couple ways to deal with it.1) fish lakes like Pardee where skiing, pwc are not allowed. 2) fish during the week if you can. 3) limit fishing to early early morning to 10 or 11. 4) don’t fish during the summer. I don’t like it but I don’t think there are any other options.

I have to agree with water dog.

as I'm retired now I refuse to fish on the weekend.

And if I have to it'll be Pardee. Or from Daybreak till about 10 maybe 11 at the most at Comanche.

but I live 10 minutes from both these Lakes... I can hook up my boat and be on the water in 20 to 30 minutes.

But when you do see me at the boat ramp don't laugh at me.

I've been told towing a trailer off and on forever.

Some days I can thread a needle.

Some days I'm lucky if I can hit the lake ������

MtnFisher
07-16-2018, 12:25 PM
I hate that sort of thing so much, that between May and September, I generally won't fish any lake that has a boat ramp. I take my kayak to small waterways on which the lice cannot launch, or bank fish remote locations, or night fish.

It is not just personal preference, but also safety concerns. When in a kayak, the odds of getting run over by a ski boat (while the driver is looking backwards) are very real.Dead on! Avoid certain lakes and rivers like the plague!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jfitalia
07-16-2018, 02:29 PM
I have been coming to Ice House over 20 years. On Saturday, I went up there in search of some relief from the valley heat. Mind you, this WAS mostly a FISHING lake. Well the campgrounds were FULL to the brim, there were more ski boats, party barges and jet skis than fishing boats. In the heat of summer I have always been able to limit out at 5-8 colors of leadcore and a 5/8 ounce weight with a dodger and needlefish. On this day however the lake became an ocean with wake surfers, discourteous boaters, tubers and people that who have been on a jet ski for their first time, and paddle boarders (Driving between me and the shore within 50 feet and all around even seeming to intentionally drive between the bank and my boat). The paddle boarders were so close I could have hooked one if I wanted to. We needless to say WE scraped up 3 Measly 11.5 inch (fish and wildlife) planters (White meat). What has happened to this place? We used to really clean house on some quality fish. SMUD says they will plant 8750 pounds of Mt Lassen bows this year. Ill believe it when I see it.

Ever been down the 395? They plant fish weekly or every other week and the fishing is phenominal! Not up north, What is the American River fish hatchery doing with all those fish in the raceways?

American Land and Leisure manages the area and there is no more use of the golden age passes for 1/2 off or forest service passes. They posted NO TRAILER parking in the Handicapped spots and guess what? A Handicapped vehicle WITH JET SKI trailer was parked there. (Who are you fooling?) I had a handicapped person that I took and didn't park there because it said NO TRAILERS. Great implementation of the rules AMERICAN LAND AND LEISURE!

Well where do I start....

For one Ice House had always survived off the free DFW plants over the years. However over the past 5-7 years the budget cuts and drought has impacted the American river hatchery and others associated with DFW. Which in turn means they simply cannot stock as much. Those Lassen stockings were fish they had to pay for. With money only coming from those camping and launching that doesnt leave a ton to pay for fish to substitute for the lack of free fish.

As for your comparison of the 395 corridor. The chamber of commerce in those areas allocate money to buy fish during their season. Where as ICE HOUSE doesnt have the funds. Towns like mammoth. Bishop, lone pine all pay into a fund to pay for fish because fishing is what gets them through the summer months.

fishmaster20200
07-20-2018, 09:54 AM

Ice House is Not the same lake that many of us once knew, more people & more garbage then ever. More Pressure & Less Fish Plant's, helped this fishery lose much of it's appeal. It's not just fishing that has changed though, getting a first come first serve campsite is a nightmare. no longer are the days when you could camp in the same site every trip. Just getting a campsite can be difficult on fri-sun the days when most people get to come up. Another thing i notice more & more is something i never used to see in the mountain's, Graffiti! on Rock's, Tree's, Bridge's, Bathroom's & more. Clearly thing's have changed a lot, just not for the better!

twack
07-20-2018, 10:22 AM
"They should build a wall!"
And you must have a fishing license to get in.

Tongue in cheek of course

Maxumfishin
07-21-2018, 05:12 PM
So sad! Dad moved us to Sacramento in 1972 and fished Union Valley every Saturday and always limited on bows and Kokes and strictly used Super Dupers and 3 colors of lead core. Rarely no more than than three boats on the lake. Now it's a freaking zoo and a science to catch something. Hate to say it, but Ice House's neighbor UVR has gotten just as bad.

Bankie
07-25-2018, 07:47 PM

For one Ice House had always survived off the free DFW plants over the years. However over the past 5-7 years the budget cuts and drought has impacted the American river hatchery and others associated with DFW. Which in turn means they simply cannot stock as much. Those Lassen stockings were fish they had to pay for. With money only coming from those camping and launching that doesnt leave a ton to pay for fish to substitute for the lack of free fish.

As for your comparison of the 395 corridor. The chamber of commerce in those areas allocate money to buy fish during their season. Where as ICE HOUSE doesnt have the funds. Towns like mammoth. Bishop, lone pine all pay into a fund to pay for fish because fishing is what gets them through the summer months.

Jfitalia… May I add to your statement? Sure you don’t especially me hahaha… The 395 corridor has 75% of is visitors come from LA, Riverside, etc. that bring their share and them some of $$$ to fund the purchasing of planted fish. We all know Mammoth Lakes can be pricey for most.
Just my ½ cents worth

Bankie

Jfitalia
07-25-2018, 08:35 PM
Jfitalia… May I add to your statement? Sure you don’t especially me hahaha… The 395 corridor has 75% of is visitors come from LA, Riverside, etc. that bring their share and them some of $$$ to fund the purchasing of planted fish. We all know Mammoth Lakes can be pricey for most.
Just my ½ cents worth

Bankie

You are correct, those towns also contribute to purchase their own fish. Outside of a motel in mammoth. You dont have to pay to fish any lakes in the mammoth basin.

JohnnyT
07-25-2018, 09:20 PM
Used to and still do fish all three of the crystal basin lakes/reservoirs..definitely not the same quality when I used to camp 20 years back but with that said there’s still plenty of beauty and fish to be caught at each.

Genius
07-28-2018, 08:30 AM
Aren't some of the largest camp grounds at UV closed for renovation? I could be mistaken but I thought I read something about that prior to summer.

dfishing1
07-28-2018, 08:51 PM

I have been following all you comments and I appreciate all the input. As for my comments about the 395, The CDFW seems to also supplement the "Paid for" plants every other week with their plants and I dont see those being "paid for" by the towns. Thats what we pay our license fees for. I have been to the American River fish hatchery and those raceways are LOADED with some great fish. Where are they going? They should be going into the Sierras and the Crystal Basin for people to catch through the summer. I just cant stand to drive 3-4 hours down the 395 to catch fish with my kiddo. That makes for a really long day or a full weekend setting up camp. I am just frustrated with the lack of options to catch some fish within a 1-2 hour drive from the valley.

GoneCountry
07-28-2018, 09:06 PM
I have been comming up her for over 55 years as well as the surrounding area. I too have witnessed the demise and respect for the beauty of the land and fisheries. In the last 4 years I have seen most of the fisheries getting to the point where its not worth wasting the gas. I am retired now and moved just 40 minutes away from crystal basin area. This year was the worst I ever saw. Campgrounds overfilled beyond capicity and garbage and litter just about everywhere. I was shocked That the two free campgrounds at Union Valley have tables added and walla no longer free. Loon Lake looks like a foreign Country. I wouldnt trust my gear anywhere up there.NO FISH PLants is crazy when you spend 50 bucks for a lic. My son just hit West Carson today and fished from pickets junction all the way down towards Woodfords. Didnt see a single fish. Even though it had been planted a week before. Its summer at the peak and aint nothing happening in the fish dept.?????? I feel the pain. The end of a era.

BearDown
07-28-2018, 09:07 PM
Within the last 15 years, I would say ice house's quality has significantly dropped. I remember going camping there when I was younger and fishing from the bank in the morning, which would produce a limit of quality fish. I went there about a year ago to try from the bank and after that one trip, I haven't been back. It used to have some quality browns in there as well, I haven't even heard or seen of any browns being pulled out of there in a long time. Truly, it's sad.

- BD

Jfitalia
07-29-2018, 02:59 PM
I have been following all you comments and I appreciate all the input. As for my comments about the 395, The CDFW seems to also supplement the "Paid for" plants every other week with their plants and I dont see those being "paid for" by the towns. Thats what we pay our license fees for. I have been to the American River fish hatchery and those raceways are LOADED with some great fish. Where are they going? They should be going into the Sierras and the Crystal Basin for people to catch through the summer. I just cant stand to drive 3-4 hours down the 395 to catch fish with my kiddo. That makes for a really long day or a full weekend setting up camp. I am just frustrated with the lack of options to catch some fish within a 1-2 hour drive from the valley.

I can tell you without a doubt the bishop and mammoth areas pay for their own brood stock private fish. I'm years past it was done by Tim Alpers prior to them closing. Now I believe its done by Mt Lassen, Calaveras or out of state.

Where DFW puts their brood stock I don't know. I can tell you what they do have in the american river hatchery isnt enough for all of the crystal basin. Plus with the Moke hatchery flooding there are even less fish to plant.

It all falls onto the individual lakes. They make a ton of money off camping and boating season. Yet they do not put any of it back into the fishing. Southern California has created a great system for stocking their lakes by rotating between DFW and county brood stocks.

fishwrong2
07-29-2018, 05:39 PM
The unfortunate side effect of living in a state with 40 million people. Tough to adapt, but there are still a lot of opportunities. Crystal Basin lakes are a whole different world in October. Crowds are gone and fish get active. Cumulative plants from the season have more fish in the lakes than any other time of the year.

For those who can hike, this time of year, there are a lot of opportunities in Desolation Wilderness lakes and small but cool wild trout in the area creeks.

The area ain't what it once was, but there are still opportunities if you look outside the box a little.

mo2013
07-29-2018, 06:07 PM
This is terrible to hear!

Annual fishing trip for about 10 of us had to relocate next week as we were supposed to be in whiskeytown. It was a last minute decision by most to go here...

I'll be sure to run off to caples and carson rather than deal with that junk during the day as none of us have a boat.

Anyone have any backup spots which would accommodate 10 old loud guys next to a lake with no neighbors? Doubtful... if you do PM me.

Cheers all,
M

Jfitalia
07-29-2018, 09:16 PM
This is terrible to hear!

Annual fishing trip for about 10 of us had to relocate next week as we were supposed to be in whiskeytown. It was a last minute decision by most to go here...

I'll be sure to run off to caples and carson rather than deal with that junk during the day as none of us have a boat.

Anyone have any backup spots which would accommodate 10 old loud guys next to a lake with no neighbors? Doubtful... if you do PM me.

Cheers all,
M

No not this time of year

PapaGreg
07-30-2018, 12:36 AM
J-fit, did the Moke river hatchery flood? Or did you mean Moccasin?

mo2013
07-30-2018, 04:57 AM
No not this time of year

I figured as much, thanks. I'm ok with going off-grid dispersed but some are not so campgrounds it is...

CAL.NDN
07-30-2018, 09:46 AM
He ment moccasin I would assume.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jfitalia
07-31-2018, 09:38 AM
J-fit, did the Moke river hatchery flood? Or did you mean Moccasin?

Yeah meant moccasin