PDA

View Full Version : Gettin old is no fun

CDK
07-21-2018, 06:41 AM
Changed my old lead core and tried to splice in some leader with a Willis knot.
Bad eyes plus shakiness plus the dropsies. You know the story.
Has anyone used a splicing needle ? How well did it work?
:old: Thanks

MtnFisher
07-21-2018, 07:15 AM
Not sure if this tool will help you with lead core but it has great reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scientific-Anglers-Tie-Fast-TF101/dp/B002QG07PY/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1532186036&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=fishing+knot+tying+tool&dpPl=1&dpID=31ix2sd3PJL&ref=plSrch

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OYD
07-21-2018, 08:09 AM
Not sure if this tool will help you with lead core but it has great reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scientific-Anglers-Tie-Fast-TF101/dp/B002QG07PY/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1532186036&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=fishing+knot+tying+tool&dpPl=1&dpID=31ix2sd3PJL&ref=plSrch

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I bought one of these tools and found it to be not a bit better than using a decent size nail to tie a nail knot to the lead core. I also am of older age with similar age related eye and fumble finger issues that sometimes makes it frustrating but perseverance helps.:turkycut1:

Fish-on
07-21-2018, 08:27 AM
I the nail knot knot too but usually use a needle with a large eye or a small straw like what comes on a can of WD40 instead of a nail

CDK
07-21-2018, 05:46 PM
I looked at tying the nail knot. Beats the heck out of me how it keeps from slipping? Also what ties around what. Lead in or out? Someone shed some light?

pointemdown
07-21-2018, 06:42 PM
I've got all the old age problems, and I use the Allbright knot, looping the mono, stripping lead out of the lead core and wrapping the stripped lead core. My two cents...

OYD
07-21-2018, 07:40 PM
I looked at tying the nail knot. Beats the heck out of me how it keeps from slipping? Also what ties around what. Lead in or out? Someone shed some light?
I leave the lead in. Some take the lead out in the area where you are tying the knot. The leader core line gets pulled very tight against the lead core line so if you do it correctly, it does not slip. I have never had an issue with the knot slipping on relatively large trout to 18 lbs and on other fish over 20 lbs. Many others catch much larger fish using the knot without issues.
When I use the knot to make lead core shooting lines for fly fishing, I coat the knot with some of the fly fishing thick cement to make a smooth running area at the knot for running through the small guides. I do not coat the knot on trolling rigs but you can if you think it will aid in keeping your knot viable.
See attached for another take on glues.
https://www.deneki.com/2014/05/gluing-knots-for-extra-strength/

Captain Compassion
07-21-2018, 08:58 PM
I can do pretty much what I always could except much slower. Gravity is no longer my friend. I carry a big net with me. Not so much for fish but to keep me upright. Knots and stuff I keep real simple. I'm good with granny knots. :old:

CC

sawhorseray
07-22-2018, 08:17 AM
Yeah, getting old sucks, but it sure beats the hell out of not getting any older! I use this site to referesh my memory on how to tie certain knots, and to find some alternatives. RAY

https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/all_fishing_knots

CDK
07-23-2018, 05:45 AM
I guess I am a bit or more pig headed.
The Willis would not defeat me!
I did some thinking of what the knot was supposed to do and how. Then what was keeping me from tying it.
I watched the animations several times. I think those are not of the real world.
First the sheath fibers keep blocking the hole. second sliding the leader in the sheath around the over hand knot is somewhere between stupid and impossible
What I ended up doing.
first after removing some lead I slid a tooth pick into the sheath, easier than leader. then I did a quick fame to the end. Made a solid opening with no fibers.
Next the overhand knot. I tied that out ov the way up the leadcore loosely .
Now i slid the leader into to the sheath about 1 1/2 in. Easy! then I worked the overhand down the line to about 1/4 in. from the end and lock it tight. The overhand worked right onto the leader.
This ti probably clear as mud. I will try to clear up any questions.
C