PDA

View Full Version : Too much bait fish?

ngt
08-03-2018, 04:28 PM
Wondering if there's such thing as too much bait fish. Today i went to Tomales again and the amount of bait fish was absolutely ridiculous. I mean filling my fish finder from from 25ft up to 7, for almost the entire float. Sabiki rigs getting 3-6 anchovies before the weight hit the bottom and when dropping the regular rigs down, you could feel them hitting the weight and line. It was nuts.

Thoughts on what we could have done? We tried moving away from the bait, but we just got ray there. These spots were nothing like this 2 weeks ago when we brought 3 home. There were big bait balls, but nothing like this...

Also, is there a limit on bait fish?

nayr
08-03-2018, 06:59 PM
Ive wondered the same thing up there a few times before. Bait so thick its on your screen all day, but no fish under it.

ngt
08-03-2018, 08:09 PM
Ive wondered the same thing up there a few times before. Bait so thick its on your screen all day, but no fish under it.

We just figured finding our bait was a 1 in a million chance. My whole ff screen would be reddish orange and bait was jumping around our boat.

nayr
08-03-2018, 10:17 PM
Yea the bait can get thickkkkkkkk in tomales

Kurac
08-04-2018, 09:37 AM
I do think there can be too much bait, the fish are probably all stuffed. It reminds me of the time we stayed on Catalina island for a few nights, on the beach one morning a bunch of those little floating red crabs got washed up, I think they call them tuna crabs, anyways they were all over the place and the wife was asking me how come the seagulls are just perching and not feasting, I told her they are stuffed right now and digesting for round two.

fishwrong2
08-04-2018, 12:20 PM
Agree that with a ton of bait in the bay it can be hard to get bit.

On the bright side it's encouraging there's that amount of life around and it can set the stage for some impressive sights. Have seen schools of stripers and salmon pile up on big wads of bait like that. Doesn't always send a guy home with meat, but still a successful day on the water in my book.