PDA

View Full Version : highway 88

joez3
08-29-2018, 07:17 AM
Was thinking of making a run up highway 88 this weekend. Does anyone have fishing report on silver lake or other spots. Thanks

whalonem
08-29-2018, 08:47 AM
I have been summer fishing/living at Silver Lake for close to 30 years. The last two years have been terrible. In my opinion Silver is now a put and take lake with the exception of the Macks and DFW has cut back there planting to almost zero. I also only troll from a boat. This year I have hit ALL the normal spots where fish hang out and have found only one that holds fish, but very few. DFW did plant on July 29 with some very nice mix of normal truck trout mixed with some very nice 2\3 pound, what look and act like Alpers. The problem with the plants is that they plant next to Hwy 88 where everyone can see whats going on and by the week ends there pretty much caught out. When the word spreads 100 lawn chairs show up and their toast. So if you go up good luck, I would look for another lake. Whalonem

Calikev
08-29-2018, 11:18 AM
There are a lot of lakes that fall into this category now unfortunately. Hard to maintain the fisheries in a State that has 30 million people. There just doesn't seem to be enough resources to spread around.

stefanoflo
08-29-2018, 11:22 AM
There are a lot of lakes that fall into this category now unfortunately. Hard to maintain the fisheries in a State that has 30 million people. There just doesn't seem to be enough resources to spread around.

Closer to 40 than 30 Million.....38Million. Regardless,, this State Sucks!!!!!when it comes to our Fisheries!!!!!

joez3
08-29-2018, 01:32 PM
Is caples any better?
Or should I just can the idea of 88 and try 4.
Thanks,

Jetspray
08-29-2018, 03:56 PM
Is caples any better?
Thanks,The lakes along 88 are in drawdown mode, Caples is slow as well, I have seen Mac's taken but you have to get to one of the inlets or fish at the ramp to catch rainbows or cuts. The rivers are not much better we scouted them today for nada, maybe the East Carson might get an Alpine plant, but we're hoping late today or tomorrow for a plant along the 88 lower corridor, like the 89 bridge to Tahoe, or Sorenson's resort bridge by the mail boxes, or white bridge further down 88, or Crystal Springs bridge by the Highway station on the east end, or Woodfords bridge across from Mad Dog Café...….Jetspray

MKE
08-29-2018, 04:07 PM
Is caples any better?
Thanks, My plumber has been taking his boat to Caples almost every weekend and has been catching a lot of rainbows he would not be fishing there if it sucked.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Captain Compassion
08-29-2018, 05:31 PM
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/moonbeam.jpg

PMR#9
08-29-2018, 05:40 PM
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/moonbeam.jpg

That's a fact .Are you still planning on the walker tomorrow .If so I will see you in the am.Jeff

fishwrong2
08-29-2018, 06:40 PM
Some macks from Silver and Caples. Need to get down and bounce around the bottom. Caught some planter rainbows out of Blue Lakes last trip up there.

I'd bounce around the canyon if I fished the West Carson, they tend to go quick in the bridge stocking holes but there's always a few that work their way downstream.

Also heard the east fork is fishing better, but haven't fished it this year myself.

Lots of options up that way. Enjoy your trip.

Jetspray
08-29-2018, 07:35 PM
My plumber has been taking his boat to Caples almost every weekend and has been catching a lot of rainbows he would not be fishing there if it sucked.

Certain areas are productive for sure......Jetspray

Jetspray
08-29-2018, 07:38 PM
That's a fact .Are you still planning on the walker tomorrow .If so I will see you in the am.JeffHave fun Jeff......Jetspray

gbslade
08-30-2018, 05:58 AM
West Carson is not being planted by DFW or Alpine County due to low flow. Fished East Carson last week. Caught a few small fish. Flow there is also low. Look for riffles into deep water. The rest is too warm for fish.

Robertash20
08-30-2018, 06:43 AM
Take photos of the rivers if you get a chance! Wanna see the flows!

LoneAngler
08-30-2018, 07:12 AM

The banning of reels would do it. I fish a cane pole sometimes when I hike way up to my favorite forest streams. It is way harder but it makes catching tiny 6" trout all day a fun venture.

Jetspray
08-30-2018, 08:21 AM
Take photos of the rivers if you get a chance! Wanna see the flows!CC does a bunch of that just look at his posts. Tomorrow he plans on the Carson's for a trip...….Jetspray

Calikev
08-30-2018, 09:11 AM
Closer to 40 than 30 Million.....38Million. Regardless,, this State Sucks!!!!!when it comes to our Fisheries!!!!!

Yeah I blinked and we gained 8 million. Crazy how fast this State's population is growing. :smile-new:

I really see it on the big lakes when summer rolls around. There are so many people now with pontoon boats, ski boats, jet skis, etc. and they all go to the lakes when it gets hot. It is crazy how many people are out there sometimes.

Robertash20
08-30-2018, 11:54 AM
CC does a bunch of that just look at his posts. Tomorrow he plans on the Carson's for a trip...….Jetspray

I always check his posts! I cant get too many pictures of the rivers when im sitting at my desk at work!

Captain Compassion
08-30-2018, 05:08 PM
That's a fact .Are you still planning on the walker tomorrow .If so I will see you in the am.Jeff

Nice meeting you Jeff.

CC

whalonem
09-04-2018, 02:23 PM
Were moving home!!!!! Not much left to do with fishing at Silver lake. Two of us fish a total of 43 hours over several days and caught only 7 fish. Does this make you excited about making the trip. On to hunting for the next 4 months. Good luck Guys and Gals.