PDA

View Full Version : No Launch at Ice House (and Union Valley?)

Stickman
09-22-2018, 08:09 PM
Headed up to Ice House Friday (9-21) with my long time fishing buddy. Arrived at the launch ramp only to be told by the American Land and Leisure host that it would be all but impossible to launch from the mud at the end of the ramp because they are draining the reservoir to affect some repairs. She also said that Union Valley is "closed" as well. We headed up to Loon (as if we had any choice) and a couple of other fisher folk confirmed that Union Valley was closed.

We managed to salvage the day by bringing in 5 rainbows between the two of us, but I do not understand how BOTH of these lakes can be "off limits" at the same time. Please correct me if the fishing community has been informed of this and I am just not paying attention. I would appreciate a link or any other information you may be able to share on the subject.

BTW: water temp was 62 deg. at the surface. We got one good hit on a Thomas Buoyant spoon (top lined 100 feet back) and no takers on a variety of flashers/dodgers/ wedding rings and flatfish. We caught our five fish by beaching the boat to eat lunch and bait fishing from the bank. (just keep trying different tactics until you find some fish!)Two of the five were 16".

Stickman

fishwrong2
09-23-2018, 05:23 PM
Haven't been up there since spring, but Union Valley had the Sunset Ramp and campground closed for construction. Ramp was opened for summer but could be it's closed again. The ramp at the dam is always open, but could be something's happened I don't know about. I'd bet the dam ramp is open, but not a lot.

Loon ramp was closed part of last year. Irritating, but good to know maintenance and repairs are being done. Most of that was built more than 50 years ago. Nothing lasts forever.

Nice report. Love Loon.

Stickman
09-24-2018, 06:46 AM
Thanks, Fishwrong2. I was thinking the same thing: The Sunset ramp at Union Valley is closed, but you should be able to launch at the dam. Because of their relatively remote location, towing a boat up to any of the Crystal Basin lakes involves a decent investment of time and fuel. It is always better to have updated information - and I check the Fish Sniffer boards before planing any trips. Oft times I get really important information here that USFS, PGE, and other public agencies make hard to find (if they communicate at all.) I appreciate your post.

UsualSuspect
09-24-2018, 07:18 AM
I fished UVR on Saturday. You can launch at the ramp by the dam. The water has dropped to the point where you have to use the low water ramp. The low water ramp is paved.

Stickman
09-24-2018, 07:37 AM
I appreciate the confirmation! Thanks for posting.

fishwrong2
09-24-2018, 07:38 AM
I agree it can be tough to get info on those lakes, and it sucks to drive a couple hours to be disappointed. SMUD operates the lakes in the Crystal basin and mostly regulate flows in the American under a FERC license, who manages their requirements. That license also is what requires they manage recreational opportunities, fish plants, and public information. We see government bashing frequently (often for good reason) but there are processes in place for the public's benefit. The rafting groups have worked with SMUD on rafting flows and publishing that information to the public. Turns out they publish info on the lakes too. Website also has contact info for the forest service. They're not always 100% up to speed but a good resource.

https://www.smud.org/en/Giving-Back-to-Community/Visit-our-Recreational-Areas/UARP-Stream-Flow-and-Reservoir-Conditions

Glad you enjoyed the trip.

Stickman
09-24-2018, 08:21 AM
And there it is!

https://www.smud.org/en/Giving-Back-to-Community/Visit-our-Recreational-Areas/UARP-Stream-Flow-and-Reservoir-Conditions

Thank you for the link, Fishwrong2!

Ya gotta love this on-line community.

fishwrong2
09-24-2018, 12:07 PM
And there it is!

Thank you for the link, Fishwrong2!

Ya gotta love this on-line community.

Totally agree. Hope to see you on the water.