PDA

View Full Version : Convict lake 9/28- 9/29 on a kayak

Chromechaser
10-03-2018, 07:20 PM
Tried out Convict lake for the first time, all I have to say is WOW! What a beautiful place!! Fished from a kayak with my standard gear to no avail, fish were too deep for me, had one hit on a troll in 25 FOW, and one more tap bottom fishing a pink mouse tail. The winds picked up Sat and chased me off the water and actually caused the campground I was at (McGee Creek) to catch on fire and close down. If you would like to see adventure, check out the video below! Be sure to check out part 2 as well, on my way back on 9/30, while on 108, I stopped on a few spots and got my first two golden trout!!
Tight lines!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXkX3tBE5mY

Captain Compassion
10-03-2018, 08:11 PM
Spent many a day trolling and hiking that lake. The best pattern was always from the Lightning Tree to the back of the lake past the inlet. Frog Flatfish or a flasher and a worm. Neat video. Thanks.

CC

Jetspray
10-04-2018, 03:05 AM
Fished and camped there many times, it is a great place visually, but hard to fish in some cases. I like it's access for wheelchair folks too. Your video was impressive......Jetspray

Chromechaser
10-04-2018, 07:11 AM
Thanks all! I'm definitely going back, even without a fish, Convict is well worth the effort!

Robertash20
10-04-2018, 07:31 AM
One of my all time favorite spots!

Captain Compassion
10-04-2018, 09:14 AM
From 89 to 92 I had a boat that I kept at Convict all summer and early fall. At the time I had a summer rental at Mammoth.

CC

Jetspray
10-04-2018, 12:44 PM
Thanks all! I'm definitely going back, even without a fish, Convict is well worth the effort!I saw you had a finder onboard, you may just have to change the presentation and maybe add a smell or two. I always put mine in the zone above the fish, smell goes down, fish come up to attack. Either way you have come into the southern California window of fisher persons. You are in a combat zone and it is a tough one at times. Good luck in the future....Jetspray

Snowtrout
10-04-2018, 02:06 PM
One of my favorite east side lakes. As someone else said, great trolling from the dead tree across to the tallest tree on the south shore, down 20-45'.

Thanks for sharing.

Captain Compassion
10-04-2018, 05:16 PM
One of my favorite east side lakes. As someone else said, great trolling from the dead tree across to the tallest tree on the south shore, down 20-45'.

Thanks for sharing.

Yep You been there. :acne:

CC

Chromechaser
10-04-2018, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone! I wasn't setup for trolling lures deeper than 15 feet, but next time I go, I'll have dodgers and weights to get down to at least 60.

Tight lines!