PDA

View Full Version : Tahoe National Forest

mhshark25
10-15-2018, 09:52 AM
Hey guys I am looking to head out with a couple friends up to the Tahoe NF this coming weekend, looking to get them on a few trout. I am looking to hit Fordyce lake as well as sawmill and maybe toss some flies in Canyon Creek. Maybe hike up to Weil Lake? Can anyone with some experience let me know if this is a productive plan? Maybe there are better options up there? Itíll be my first time up there. PM is fine too. We are all C&R as well and I know how to handle trout. Thanks!

burninfuel
10-15-2018, 04:28 PM
Hit them all in area, 5+ lakes in Yuba gap and east to 89 hwy

Waterdog
10-16-2018, 06:52 AM
You are heading into beautiful country for sure. The only lake I can comment on is Fordyce. Iíve spent a lot of time in that area both Fordyce lake and Sterling which you pass on the way to Fordyce, both fishing and hunting. To get to Fordyce you need 4wd. You may be able to make it in a 2wd truck but I wouldnít.
The lake use to be a great fishery with large trout but as far as I know it hasnít been planted in many years. The same for Sterling lake. Last time I was there I caught nada and saw nada fish. I donít think the fishing is great but you might pick up a couple. I really like the area and would try it for a couple hours.
Keep in mind deer season in D3 and surrounding area is still open so be careful. Let us know how you do.

burninfuel
10-16-2018, 09:32 AM
Webber, Meadow and the road at the dam that goes down to Fordyce about 3000' below

mhshark25
10-16-2018, 09:56 AM
You are heading into beautiful country for sure. The only lake I can comment on is Fordyce. Iíve spent a lot of time in that area both Fordyce lake and Sterling which you pass on the way to Fordyce, both fishing and hunting. To get to Fordyce you need 4wd. You may be able to make it in a 2wd truck but I wouldnít.
The lake use to be a great fishery with large trout but as far as I know it hasnít been planted in many years. The same for Sterling lake. Last time I was there I caught nada and saw nada fish. I donít think the fishing is great but you might pick up a couple. I really like the area and would try it for a couple hours.
Keep in mind deer season in D3 and surrounding area is still open so be careful. Let us know how you do.

I will definitely come back to advise how it goes. Looking more like we will go Sawmill, Faucherie, and likely hike to Weil Lake. It apparently holds some trout. Hoping for the best! I was hoping there would be more info out there on these but oh well! Iíll bring back some info after I get back

Jfitalia
10-16-2018, 08:50 PM
Ive had great luck on big cuts at round

mhshark25
10-17-2018, 12:11 PM
Ive had great luck on big cuts at round

Thanks for the heads up! Itís on the other side of where we are heading but Iíll keep it in mind for a future trip!

mhshark25
10-25-2018, 08:03 AM
Just to update:

Ended up camping and spending our time at Sawmill lake. Interesting lake with lots of chopped trees. Fished down the shore on the side closest to the road. Fishing was slow, 2 Brookies caught in 2 days. You could see many fish but they were a bit lethargic. Might be getting too late in the season for them?

fishwrong2
10-27-2018, 08:49 AM
Getting a couple at least keeps things interesting. Glad you got in the trip.

I haven't spent much time up in that area, but sounds like I should.

Thanks for the report.